NEurope
Aneres11

PlayStation Vita Console Discussion

So it's been over a month since I finally made the plunge and bought a Vita Slim with a 16gb memory card plus 10 games for the lovely price of £135. Luckily, the advice about the Slim seemed spot on as it seems completely fine to me (and pretty nice to boot) as some one who has very little experience with the no doubt superior OLED on the original.

The sweetness of the aforementioned deal is enhanced by the fact that the final kick I needed to buy it, the feeling that it'll go up in price soon thanks to a pretty decent autumn line up, turned out to be correct and you'll need to fork out at least an extra £20 to get the Slim brand new by itself, even from ShopTo which is where I bought it from!

So, here's the run down of what I have. A Vita, with one 16gb memory card linked to my JP PSN account, with Persona 4 Golden and a crap load of demos (including Phantasy Star Nova). The first thing that immediately sprung to mind is why on earth the 1gb of internal storage can't be utilised once the memory card is present, it is immediately disabled. Sure, I probably don't need it with a 16gb card but Vita memory space is extremely valuable and why not use it to their advantage? There are a lot of complaints about needing a memory card per PSN account, why not make that a good selling feature of the Slim, which original owners have no intention of upgrading to? I can't use my 10 games until I get another memory card heh.

Persona 4 Golden? Worth buying the system for alone if you've never played it. It's my first Persona game and has all ready become one of my favourite games of all time and I'm all ready into my second play through and trying to find everything I may have missed. Great sound track, fucking brilliantly well written characters and it's just so fucking charming.

Next month, the title that swung me to get the console comes out, Phantasy Star Nova. The demo is pretty rad. It's not the prettiest game ever and it doesn't have online (clearly a deliberate move to prevent it cannibalising on the F2P nature of PSO2), but it plays pretty well and the giant boss is amazing. Some of the features outlined at TGS definitely give me the impression it's going to be a massive time sink, which is what I love about modern Phantasy Star. There have been methods found on how to download demos from regions that differ from your own Vita, give me a message and I'll be sure to send you the info!

Complaints? AVLS. Fuck Sony, it feels like a very Nintendo thing to do yet Nintendo themselves don't do this heh. The back touch panel is really fucking weird from the Welcome Pack set of games and I can't see myself liking it, but maybe if I catch Tearaway at a ridiculously cheap price I can give it a full go. Of course the accounts is my biggest complaint of all, but buying a separate memory card for each region you want to use is far better than a certain other company's alternatives.

The only thing that could have made the system better that hasn't been listed? If Yahoo, the server host for Phantasy Star Online 2, hadn't blanket banned a certain backbone of the internet which prevents nearly every one on a UK ISP from connecting to it.. Just visit the official page, most likely, it wont load!

The only thing that could have made the system better that hasn't been listed? If Yahoo, the server host for Phantasy Star Online 2, hadn't blanket banned a certain backbone of the internet which prevents nearly every one on a UK ISP from connecting to it.. Just visit the official page, most likely, it wont load!

Won't load.... what have they banned? the UK as a whole? BT and its entire infrastructure?

The account swapping is ridiculous and really needed sorting out, but sony just don't give a shit about the Vita

Won't load.... what have they banned? the UK as a whole? BT and its entire infrastructure?

The account swapping is ridiculous and really needed sorting out, but sony just don't give a shit about the Vita

It's not really a ban, but basically, the PSO2 servers suffered a huge DDOS attack back in June (most likely instigated by Broomop as that dick seems to be involved with most attacks), mainly stemming from ISPs in the UK. So there is basically a backbone of sorts that our requests for information are routed through on the way to DNS' located in Asia, and Yahoo, the actual hosts of PSO2, blocked this to reduce the severity of the attack.

Now that it's over, they would probably be safe in lifting that blanket 'ban'. But, the game isn't technically catering to foreign audiences, so there's no reason to.

So, pretty much all of the UK ISP's and some American ISP can't access it. Weirdly, O2 4G seems to load the website fine and I can connect when I use my Galaxy S4 as a mobile AP for my Vita.

Glad you enjoyed P4G. It makes the system purchase worthwhile for many!

Are there any other demos worth getting that are only available in Japan?

Edited by Shorty
Automerged Bubbletoast

I tried a demo for Gravity Rush in GAME the other day. Hnnnnnnng, the game was wonderful. Is it actually quite good then or does it lose its charm later? I hear that a sequel may be coming to the PS4, is dis truuuu?

I had a lot of fun with it, it's one of those games you really appreciate the fluid controls in, unique and enjoyable to play. However, I guess it did get a bit repetitive and after beating it I had no urge to go back and play again or finish all the fetch sidequests etc.

Yeah the sequel is meant to be headed for PS4, which is good for the game but bad for the Vita!

I had a lot of fun with it, it's one of those games you really appreciate the fluid controls in, unique and enjoyable to play. However, I guess it did get a bit repetitive and after beating it I had no urge to go back and play again or finish all the fetch sidequests etc.

Yeah the sequel is meant to be headed for PS4, which is good for the game but bad for the Vita!

It looked lovely and seemed very interesting. I can imagine that the sequel being on the PS4 will be a major blow to the Vita, that sucks for the system. Good for me, though, mwhaha. I just hope the sequel is as charming and wonderful as this appeared. The vita seems like a nifty little machine and this is coming from somebody who doesn't like handheld gaming.

Im not suprised the sequel is coming to PS4 instead of Vita. Theres the obvious reasons with the Vita just not selling enough to make it worthwhile but the first game was also supposed to be a PS3 title originally so they were interested in it being a big screen game at one point.

Im not suprised the sequel is coming to PS4 instead of Vita. Theres the obvious reasons with the Vita just not selling enough to make it worthwhile but the first game was also supposed to be a PS3 title originally so they were interested in it being a big screen game at one point.

I'm relieved actually, mostly because it means I won't have to spend money to buy a Vita, but also because for something that looks so yummy, you want to see that on the big screen. I'm also not a huge fan of the Vita's analogues, but that could have just been the model I was using in GAME...it looked a little battered. Is the next one going to be a cross-console experience, so Vita and PS4? That way everyone is happy.

I don't see why the sequel can't be a cross-buy between PS4 and Vita, would keep both parties happy.

I really want to get Freedom Wars but there are just so many games comimg out this month that I can't see myself having enough time to play it.

Is anyone else thinking about getting it? Might be better if there is an active group of people playing.

FREEDOM WARS. It's fucking fantastic yo, what an exclusive to have. I really hope there is a second one and that it's also out on a home console.

Messing with the Playstation TV at the moment. I decided to just use my old DS3 controller instead of the 4 so I didnt have to keep switching between the PSTV and the PS4 but its so weird now going back to the older controller!

I picked up Entwined in the PSN Black Friday sale, decided to play it on the Vita over the PS4 as i've near enough run out of PS Vita games. So far, it's very good. Needing a steady hand to hold the sticks in place, i can see this being my 2nd full completed PS game (the first was Contrast). I'm enjoying it, has anyone else picked it up/played it?

Jesus wept, you actually went for that. I essentially gave up on any attempts for platinum when I saw that. Oh so very daft requirements.

I agree that it's a ridiculous trophy and it's a big reason this playthrough has taken me 6+ months so far. But the twenty-odd hours I've spent working on this trophy will be worth it when I finally have the platinum trophy. I hope. :cry:

Well done @Magnus. I started going for that trophy a couple of months ago, don't think I was far off but got distracted by Destiny. Should've mentioned you were doing it, I actually made myself an online checklist for each line. Did you find that your previous runs contributed to the total? Some swear it doesn't have to all be in one run.

Well done @Magnus. I started going for that trophy a couple of months ago, don't think I was far off but got distracted by Destiny. Should've mentioned you were doing it, I actually made myself an online checklist for each line. Did you find that your previous runs contributed to the total? Some swear it doesn't have to all be in one run.

I think it does have to be done in one run, but my brother's the one who did the first playthrough, and he rushed through the game on the easiest difficulty setting using only the original four characters, so that's no help. I think I was at around 250 lines, though, so I don't think the game was counting any of the unique boss lines from later in the game.

Some people claim to have earned the trophy while just playing normally and without having to keep track of Rise's lines, but that seems crazy to me. I kept an alphabetical list that I added to every time she said a new line. I found it very useful for things like status effects, where I wasn't sure if I had the lines or not. I felt like I hit the jackpot when I came across and enemy with Debilitate and realized that I could get 21 unique lines just from that.

With the PS4 now my main console and really the only console I play regularly, I'm tempted to pick up a vita mainly for the remote play feature.

Any good deals on at the moment?

Can I just bitch about how pathetic it is that there are Sony phone and tablets that allow you to remote play and use the DS4, but not the Vita itself?

There is a way around it using a sub-account, but you need a second memory card for the Vita. And it's not "official".

Ugh.

Can I just bitch about how pathetic it is that there are Sony phone and tablets that allow you to remote play and use the DS4, but not the Vita itself?

There is a way around it using a sub-account, but you need a second memory card for the Vita. And it's not "official".

Ugh.

That would take away potential sales from the PSTV I would think.

I'm surprised at how good Freedom Wars looks on a big screen.

I've been hearing similar things! It looks fantastic on the portable too, but I definitely wouldn't mind having a home console port with more buttons and stuff.

I imagine issuing commands is a bit of a bitch though without the touch screen?

But yeah, last night I sat in bed all snuggled up whilst playing Phantasy Star Online 2 on my Vita thanks to whatever the fuck was blocking European connections since last summer finally ending. Absolutely loving this little thing. If only it were more competitive, because the 3DS is really starting to stagnate for me and I feel it's the lack of competition.