N-Europe

Fibre Optic Interwhebz

ReZourceman

I just got fibre optic internetz.

I have not noticed many things yet, but I have noticed a few things.

- Desktop Defender has no lag whatsoever now (when sending x3 waves it tended to lag very slightly on broadband)

- FB status updates and comments are completely instant now, whereas previously there was a few miliseconds wait.

- Uploading to YouTube speed has absolutely SKYROCKETED. It tended to be about 20 minutes for a 50MB video previously. Its doing Comedy Rainbow now and its nearly finished at...*checks* okay its finished at about 7 minutes for 250MB. Crazy.

hav u got fiber opticks?Z!!! wots da sicence!?

Ireland wins. We don't have it, which is lame. Currently my internet is deciding every now and again to not load for a minute. It's AWESOME :|

Is there a way to find out when it is coming to you area? *Goes to google it*

Ironically, the internet has crashed and thus won't let me complete my search... or post this (obviously). Excellent.

Ireland wins. We don't have it, which is lame. Currently my internet is deciding every now and again to not load for a minute. It's AWESOME :|

Is there a way to find out when it is coming to you area? *Goes to google it*

Ironically, the internet has crashed and thus won't let me complete my search... or post this (obviously). Excellent.

Try resetting your router, it does wonders.

There's one thing I don't understand about fibre optic: Can you have multiple "points" installed around the house (like you would with satellite TV)? If not, and you had to use Wi-Fi to get it around the house, would the speed be limited as much as "normal" broadband through Wi-Fi?

I'm just thinking about Cloud computing. I assume that'll need fibre optic quality, so I wonder if I'll be able to get my own "point".

I've not been on fibre optics... but I've been on 15MB adsl for quite a while. It is very cool, although one of my workmates will be moving on to 100MB cable soon.

I find it hard to imagine that the internet could cause lag in a Facebook game though. Once the game has completed it's initial load, it won't request much from the internet after that. In fact, you could probably unplug your internet and carry on playing. lag when you call on 3 waves will just be your machine.

Tried that a few times, it only fixes things temporarily sadly. I'll be moving out soon so won't have to deal with it hopefully. And I'll be in a large town so I will have a better chance at internet speed wins.

Try a BT i-Plate. Worked wonders here, we had constant disconnects and sluggish speeds which as it turns out were all down to dodgy wiring/electrical interference.

There's one thing I don't understand about fibre optic: Can you have multiple "points" installed around the house (like you would with satellite TV)? If not, and you had to use Wi-Fi to get it around the house, would the speed be limited as much as "normal" broadband through Wi-Fi?

I'm just thinking about Cloud computing. I assume that'll need fibre optic quality, so I wonder if I'll be able to get my own "point".

As most places don't have Ethernet installed in the walls the best alternative is a Homeplug kit. Use the electrical wires instead ;)

I'm on BE Broadband. 24mb connection. Had it for about 3 years now, maybe more. I love them.

24MB max. That's like, if you live next door to the exchange. The biggest drawback of adsl is the loss of speed over distance with copper cables. What download speeds do you get?

I would move onto Virgin cable tomorrow if it didn't cost an arm and a leg and a testicle.

24MB max. That's like, if you live next door to the exchange. The biggest drawback of adsl is the loss of speed over distance with copper cables. What download speeds do you get?

I would move onto Virgin cable tomorrow if it didn't cost an arm and a leg and a testicle.

I'm on Virgin's 10mb service at the flat and it is incredible for speeds. The only thing is their fair usage policy is awful.

Between 10am-3pm I'm only allowed to download 1.5GB and between 4pm-9pm it's 750Mb.

That's not particularly much in a flat of 3 students; a couple of programmes on iPlayer and that's it gone. Although there are sometimes where I'm sure we've gone over it and I haven't noticed anything. I tend to only notice the lag on the Xbox if we do download a lot rather than just for general browsing.

Haven't VM been fibre optic for ages?

I'm on Virgin's 10mb service at the flat and it is incredible for speeds. The only thing is their fair usage policy is awful.

Between 10am-3pm I'm only allowed to download 1.5GB and between 4pm-9pm it's 750Mb.

That's not particularly much in a flat of 3 students; a couple of programmes on iPlayer and that's it gone. Although there are sometimes where I'm sure we've gone over it and I haven't noticed anything. I tend to only notice the lag on the Xbox if we do download a lot rather than just for general browsing.

Yeah it's pretty wank, they used to be much more lax, but then again I thought they only cap you down to like 75% for 4 hours or so? If you're getting top speeds I never think of that as the hugest of drops.