N-Europe

Nostalgia: Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers

Guy

Those untitled eps have titles now :wink:

Just seen them, never mind then. :p Episode 10 seems to have lakes early, btw.

Also it's funny to suddenly notice the inconsistency, how much is chopped and used from different sequences. Oh Green ranger's armour has changed from one type to the other between shots, oh now they're in the rocks, now they're on some steps, now they're near a forest :D

I noticed the location changes when I was younger but I never thought too much about it. I did think it was odd though.

Episode 10 was such a let down I am sad

It is titled "The Perfect Storm" so assumed from that surely it must be a tribute ep to Power Rangers: Ninja Storm with some cameos.

Was wondering how they were going to adapt Gokaigers double ep of their tribute to Hurricaneger which I enjoyed.

But instead it had nothing Ninja Storm in it, the whole first half of the ep was a total waste and it was just a complete waste of an episode, this season is meant to be an anniversary celebration of the series, but Saban obviously lost the plot when it came to this ep,... the only saving grace was the choice of Legendary morphs used at the end fight before the Zords come out.

• 2 weeks later...

1st:

Found this video

2nd:

Ep 11, another waste of an episode :(

Also I think they put it in the wrong order, even though Orion is credited at the start he doesn't appear at all in the ep. Now I knew he likely wouldn't appear morphed as I knew the ep from Gokaiger it was based on was pre-Silver ranger, but I at least thought he'd appear unmorphed and just be unable to help them fight :heh:

Although there was a good Legendary Morph into MMPR rangers which I think was prolly the only reason Saban used this episode.

According the RangerWiki Ep12 will be a tribute to DinoThunder so looking forward to that, hopefully JDF might appear in it since he was the Black Dino Thunder ranger, if not him there should be at least a cameo from one of teh Dino Thuner cast

Ep 11, another waste of an episode :(

Although there was a good Legendary Morph into MMPR rangers which I think was prolly the only reason Saban used this episode.

Seemed like they had a lot of original footage in this episode as well, unless it was taken from other episodes since they used footage from the second Jealousto episode.

Well yeah they had to do some original footage for when Levira comes down for Jake...but yeah I did notice the one scene taken from the 2nd Jealusto ep... wish they could have tried to convert that one instead, at least then they would have A: had silver ranger footage to have Orion not just vanish for the whole ep and B: the anti-racism message in the 2nd Jealusto ep would have at least made the ep seem more worthwhile a PR conversion than the one they used

Executive Producer Roberto Orci Exits the Power Rangers Movie

Roberto Orci will no longer be executive producer of Lionsgate and Haim Saban's upcoming Power Rangers movie, reportedly due to conflicts with Star Trek 3's production schedule.

According to Deadline, Orci has left the project, which he was developing with X-Men: First Class screenwriters Zack Stentz and Ashley Miller. Both Stentz and Miller will continue to work on the film, though it's unclear as to whether or not Orci will still have a story credit on the final film. Saban's Brian Casentini and Allison Shearmur (The Hunger Games) are producing.

Orci has typically worked as a screenwriter, having contributed to Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Star Trek Into Darkness. He'll be making his foray into directing with 2016's Star Trek 3.

Power Rangers is slated for a July 22, 2016 release date.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/09/21/executive-producer-roberto-orci-exits-the-power-rangers-movie

Given how I dont think any of the other movies listed there were particularly good (or downright terrible) I can only see this as a good thing.

Just tried looking for Ep12 thinking it aired yesterday but can't find it... according to Ranger Wiki it is not aired in the US till next week....weeks break for some reason?

But it has aired in France and Russia? So it must be out there somewhere but I can't find it

Only just found out Nicktoons on Sky have been airing eps daily on weekdays Monday to Friday at 8pm!

They will be showing ep16 tomorrow at 8pm, which means they are 4eps ahead of the US airings now

I still can't find ep12 to watch yet, nor can I find any of eps13-15 either.

Have set a Sky+ and series link starting with ep16 though :D

But bit annoyed at missing 4 eps :mad:

So I watched ep12 & 13 and have just watched eps 16-20 from my Sky+ recordings.

My overall thoughts on Super Megaforce as a while (even though there's 2 eps I haven't seen, 14 & 15) is Saban really could have done so much more.

Too many wasted eps that could have been better used to do more tribute eps. Of which there were only 5 tribute eps, eps 4, 5 and 6, tributes to Wild Force, Samurai and Jungle Fury and eps 12 (Dino Thunder) and 14 (RPM) and only 2 of those tributes featured a cameo character(s) from the tribute show (Samurai Tribute feature Samurai Red & the rangers mentor and JUngle Fury tribute featured JF Red)

Wild Force tribute didn't have a cameo but that one was ok as neither did it's Gokaiger original as it was centred on finding the Red Lion Wild Force Zord.

Would have thought for certain the Dino Thunder "Tribute" would have feature at least one of the main 3 rangers from that show or even Jason David Frank as Black DinoThunder but nothing...how can you call it a tribute when all from Dino Thunder in it was a Legendary Morph into Dino Thunder...in that case any ep with a Legendary morph into one full team was a tribute to that team then was it?

Granted I've not seen ep 14 yet but from everything I can find out about it pretty sure there is no cameo in there either.

Now ok even in Gokaiger they didn't do a tribute ep for all previous Super Sentai team, in the show there were 24 tribute eps (25 if you count the Goseiger vs Gokaiger movie) and all of those (bar the Wild Force equvilent as I mentioned) had a cameo of an actor/character from the show the tribute was for. And even for Super Sentai shows that didn't have a tribute ep they were both heavily referenced and still have a character cameo at some point in the show.

Super Megaforce only had 20 eps.... yet only 5 tribute eps to pay tribute to 20 years and 18 previous teams of rangers?

Anyway ep reviews/thoughts

Ep12 - Was alright, as mentioned above didn't feel much like a tribute ep at all but I did enjoy that they kept the comedy bit of Pink trying to get the weapon from the monster in it (though not copied exactly from the original show), did not expect that at all. They also had to make their own original footage for the full team morph into Dino Thunder sans Pink (who had no Dino Thunder counter-part and there was a joke morph for GokaiPink in Gokaiger which they didn't carry into PR.

EP13 - was actually better than I though. I knew it was a body swap ep and I knew they were changing things by having Green and Blue swap bodies where in Gokaiger it was Green and Yellow and was wondering how they could possibly make it work but they also combined it with footage and story from a 2nd Gokaiger ep where Gokai Green was trying to make a new weapon and turned out swapping Green and Blue in PR in combo with that ep actually worked out very well. So surprised by that one.

Not yet seen 14 & 15

Eps 16 & 17 - Double ep...and double waste of space :(

These eps see the return of Vrak, the badguy from the previous season who is able to block the rangers access to their Super Megamode after he kidnaps Silver. Which means for both eps the rangers only use their Megaforce suits and weapons and zords (first time these Zords are seen since the last ep of Megaforce). Obviously these eps were converted from teh finale to Goseiger the show before Gokaiger.... I have no idea why they would think holding this eps for this season was a good idea.

This season is meant to be an anniversary celebration with bunches of fan service for the whole season. Yet these 2 eps just ignore all that. There was no reason why they couldn't have done these two eps at the end of last season and then have the Armada arrive to lead into Super Megaforce. These are just a bigger waste of episode space than even the one with the love potion and could have been far better filled with 2 more tribute eps. Or at least eps filled with Legendary morphs.

These eps also see the return of RoboKnight who is turned into a bad guy, becomes good again in the end sacrifices himself to help out the rangers. Again this would have worked much better at the end of Megaforce so that when it came to doing 6th Ranger morphs after Silver arrives they wouldn't have to waste original footage budget on reshooting scenes where GokaiSilver used RoboKnight/GoseiKnight's key.

Ep 18 - Was alright, could feel it was the start of the build towards the finale but felt a bit lacking...think it was the near lack of Legendary morphs...after 2 whole eps with zero use of Super Megamode and Legendary Morphs I think there was only 2 Legendary morphs used once by Green.....and maybe one other?

Ep 19 - The 2nd last ep of the season... aside from the final part with teh huge fight which was awesome, everything before it made no sense

Firstly the Rangers are acting like their defeat of Damuras in the previous ep equalled total victory over the Armada, Orion even leaves to head back to his homeworld on ship he arived in....which we learn he just left where it crashed when he first arrived and somehow was never found by anyone else....:heh:

But in the previous ep when Red was kidnapped and brought to the Armada Flagship he knew Damuras was taking orders from someone else... so he knew there was someone else higher up than Damuras yet after the rangers beat him Troy seems to forget all this and they assume their job is done and Orion just leaves.

Orion leaving makes even less sense at the end of the ep when they bring out the Zords and Orions zord appears and you hear Noah going "oh hey just figured out how to operate GyuRex by remote"....WTF!!!!!!!!!!!

Also in the only Legendary Morph in the ep they keep the Gokaiger footage where 4 pre-Zyuranger suits are used, ie: suits coming from shows that pre-date MMPR and never appeared in PR before...now granted Red does morph into MMPR Red which was cool but the other 4.... why the frak did they not film some original footage and have 5 different suits from Power Ranger history!!!!!!!!!!!

Ep20 - now we come to the finale, the "Legendary Battle" the moment the season has been building towards and teasing us with with all previous PR teams joining the current team to help out.

Ok the ep has it's moments that's for sure, the first half with Super Megaforce knocked out and the city in ruins we get some scenes with past rangers helping out vaiour people in need. One of course being Tommy, dressed all in white and has the White Ranger helmet transparently appear over his head breifly (they did this with all the past rangers, was something Gokaiger did whenever there was a cameo in case you didn't remember which show the actor was from)...though one thing I thought was stupid bout his scene was he saved a kid from a car about to fall off a bridge....where were the kids parents? Nobody else was around? Did they just get out of teh car and leave the kid there and walk off :heh:

Anyway the current rangers recover and regroup and Orion returns to Earth and rejoins them and they prepare for the finale fight the next morning. The first confront the Emperors final General (can;t remember name) and eventually Red and Silver split from the group to take Orions ship to board the Armada flagship to fight the Emperor. So I think the whole Orion leaving in the previous ep was to remind us he had this ship and that was the only reason they had him leave?

One thing that seriously pissed me off about this moment was before Red and Silver left they used mostly Gokaiger footage of the same fight from Gokaigers 2nd last ep....yet they left out the most epic part and the part that would have fitted in with this being a Power Ranger anniversary and celebration the most.

HOW IN THE HELL could they not put this in this show????

Then the Red & Silver vs the Emperor on the flagship is actually the final battle with the Emperor too they beat him on the ship and that is it for him....he doesn't reappear once more more like in Gokaiger where he got a massive orgy of Legendary morphs using every single Super Sentai team.... no they just decide not to use that.

But fair enough we still got the Legendary Battle left to go....but with the Emperor beat and all his Generals the Legendary Battle is just the Rangers vs a bunch of Xborgs (this shows Puttys) and since we know all the higher up bad guys are beat a few thousand disorganised and leaderless Xborgs doesn't feel a threat.

But still we get a great moment where all past Ranger teams appear on a cliff top (yet only 11 are actually named I think, Alien Rangers, RPM, SPD and a few others who were seen just get ignored....way to pay tribute to the shows legacy Saban :heh:

Then the past Rangers come down to join up with teh current team and those whose actual actors are making cameos (and who we saw earlier in the ep) take there helmets off and have a few lines. Tommy is wearing the Green Ranger suit again (yet was introduced as MMPR White earlier as I previous described) and you'd think we'd get some kind of explanation of how he got the Green powers back...but no....nothing, not even referenced....seriously all they had to do was have one of teh current team say "but how did ye get your powers back, I thought some teams lost all their powers" and for Tommy to respond something like "It was Gosei, he was able to emulate our powers and create the keys you've been using and now he's given us those powers so we can fight one more time to save the earth"...seriously I would have accepted that.

Also another disappointment, Green Ranger is all we see Tommy use....so why did they both introduce him earlier in the ep as MMPR White at all? Was hoping he'd have the ability to switch between all his past ranger powers during the Legendary Battle for that icing on the cake of fanservice that would have made me forget about things like the wasted eps that were 16 & 17... but no they couldn't even give us that.

Also figured out why they kept the Megaforce suits around all season, it was cause they did very minimal original footage for the Legendary Battle (which took place before Gokaiger started and was lead by teh Goseiger team that Megaforce was based on) So they didn't even have the current team use Super Megamode, with the exception of Silver of course who was the only bits of original footage I think.

And to top it all off, after teasing us for 2 years with this Legendary Battle it was over in a blink :( Bout 2 mins worth was all it was.... was good for what it was but since this was meant to be the culmination of the 20th Anniversary I would have thought it would have been a much bigger spectacle

Was a decent effort of a season, I can appriciate that Saban wanted to try their own thing in how they approached it, but he could have done so much more overall. Gokaiger was a love letter to Super Sentai fans...and Gokaiger was only the 2nd Super Sentai show I watched but I could tell how much they were giving back to all their fans be they people who watched from the very first Sentai show to people who might have been new to the shows but would still get a kick out of seeing the Gokaigers become past teams.

Super Megaforce started off great but the 2nd half just fizzled out a bit, picked itself back up for the final ep but not enough to make up for some of the poor execution of some previous eps and set ups.

Think I'll go rewatch Gokaiger now :D

EP13 - was actually better than I though. I knew it was a body swap ep and I knew they were changing things by having Green and Blue swap bodies where in Gokaiger it was Green and Yellow and was wondering how they could possibly make it work but they also combined it with footage and story from a 2nd Gokaiger ep where Gokai Green was trying to make a new weapon and turned out swapping Green and Blue in PR in combo with that ep actually worked out very well. So surprised by that one.

Just watched this episode and thought they actually did a good job. Pretty clever to combine the 2 episodes.

Apart from a few missing jokes from the original and Orion's mysterious disappearance for most of the episode and his "Oh, hey - I'm in the episode too!".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Oh did it start already.... will watch it, maybe not right away, probably wait for Netflix, still feel a bit let down by how underwhelming the "Legendary War" was and how little fan service there was in the Super Megaforce season compared to Gokaiger :(

Still need to get round to finding and watching the Kyoryuger....actually now that I think of it... did you watch the first ep of Dino Charge yet? Did they keep the "dance morph" from Kyoryuger?

Oh did it start already.... will watch it, maybe not right away, probably wait for Netflix, still feel a bit let down by how underwhelming the "Legendary War" was and how little fan service there was in the Super Megaforce season compared to Gokaiger :(

Still need to get round to finding and watching the Kyoryuger....actually now that I think of it... did you watch the first ep of Dino Charge yet? Did they keep the "dance morph" from Kyoryuger?

Not in the first episode, no. But they didn't do a "proper" morph. Looks like they used a lot of original footage. The acting is better then Megaforce so far.

Noticed the Zyuranger DVDs got pushed back to March. :(

• 3 weeks later...
What ever Saban and Lionsgate have planned for their reboot PR movie in the works, they better cancel it and hire the director and cast of this "Fan Film"! Katee Sackoff as Kimberley, woot that would be awesome :D

That was awesome. The only down side was Katee Sackoff ( ugly as sin and hate watching her ) but other than that I loved it.

I see the lawyers have already begun to circle over this. Shame.

People are going nuts for this but I thought it was kinda bad. Death/sex for the sake of being edgy always bugs me. You want to seem cool and mature so you kill off characters you know people love just for the shock factor, it's meh. The lycra suits looked crap (the original movie armour style would've been far more suitable), the stupid floating minority report touchscreen crap that's been done to death and never well.

Two parts were also particularly bad objectively: the slow clunky black ranger fight and the ending

Rita looked awful and the closing lines were painfully hamfisted

Finally I was annoyed by the not-so-subtle dig at JDF regarding Billy, that was ill-informed, it's been covered repeatedly that it was the producers and other staff at Haim Saban that drove David Yost to leave the original show not the other cast members.

I hope any future movie takes basically nothing from this.

This was a stab at the trend to gritty realism, not an actual attempt. How anyone took this seriously is beyond me because it's fucking hysterical. I really enjoyed it.

Well, I didn't know it was satire tbh. It's not that I took it seriously, but I had no context to think that. I've become aware lately that there are some skilled people out there these days that are capable of making these kinds of things and most certainly thinking that they are being cool/edgy.

I gave that short 6 minutes before I gave up. Incredibly boring, fighting choreography was abysmal (that's when I gave up). Tone was totally different from the scene before it. Now I'm not a Power Ranger fan, and I barely recall seeing some of the first show, but I didn't get any Power Rangers vibe from that video, regardless if it was meant as a parody, a gritty version, or a parody of gritty versions.