NEurope
Guy

Nostalgia: Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers

I dunno if we all watched this show, but I certainly dug it as a kid. Looking back at it now I can't believe how atrociously bad and somewhat racist/sexist it is, yet for some reason I can't look at it with anything other than affection. At the very least everyone thought the toys were cool, right?

I guess this thread is here to remember such an awesome kids televison show. Zyuranger discussion is permitted also. If you dunno what Zyuranger is... give it a Google and prepare to have your mind blown Back to the Future Part 3 cock point style.

But in order for this to work... WE NEED YOUTUBE POWER! NOW!

youtubemegazord.jpg

Also... Goldar is fucking RIDICULOUS.

Edited by Guy

There is one thing that I will always remember about Power Rangers that I will never be able to place/prove actually happened. Before the movie came out, I was watching a kind of kids news type show on CITV. They showed some first, exclusive footage of the new movie and it showed the Black Ranger fighting off some putty patrol using his axe. He was kitted out in the full awesome movie megabudget gear, but I know that neither the axe nor any putties ever showed up in the film.

This has bugged me for about 15 years.

Pics or GTFO!

My brothers used to claim different rangers, I was the red one :) The black one came along for a while though and was uber and my traitorous swine of a brother abandoned the blue one and said he was him, and the black one started wailing on the red one :( The red one won in the end though because he has to because he was the good guy in that fight.

There is one thing that I will always remember about Power Rangers that I will never be able to place/prove actually happened. Before the movie came out, I was watching a kind of kids news type show on CITV. They showed some first, exclusive footage of the new movie and it showed the Black Ranger fighting off some putty patrol using his axe. He was kitted out in the full awesome movie megabudget gear, but I know that neither the axe nor any putties ever showed up in the film.

This has bugged me for about 15 years.

I know, i didn't quite get the movie either. They seemed to base it on the Ninja era, before it occured on the TV series. Can't quite remember the movie(s) myself, having not seen them for years.

Still, and i'll keep saying this. PR turned cack(er) when they got rid of all the original ones, basically when they decided to go to the Turbo era really.

I tried to make a White Ranger sheild to slip over my head onto my shoulders using an opened out cereal box and a black and yellow crayon..

It didn't really work :indeed:

I believe the movie was made not just because of cash potential, but because they had actually run out of footage of the Dinozords to use and had to start using scenes from the next series in Japan. This is why the armour and Zords are different in the film - there was literally no existing footage to take fight scenes from.

It also serves as a nice transition to the new Zords, since the Japanese series never had one. The entire film was actually available to watch on YouTube the last I checked, which was about ten seconds ago so I assume it's still there.

Power Rangers is sick. That clip was absolutely hilarious. I love that the song was actually commentary for the fight..."Go Green Ranger....don't let Goldar kill youoooo" or something.

Also.

58051_10150326504660581_509970580_16019496_1858716_n.jpg

I was definitely a Power Rangers mad kid, loved everything about it.

I'll never forget when my dad took me to see the movie, he told me we had to help a friend with something and we'd meet him in town. So we stood outside McDonalds which was opposite the old ABC cinema in town. After waiting 20 or so minutes, my dad then suggests his friend must not be coming and instead we should go watch a movie. Awesome surprise was awesome.

I'll never forget when my dad took me to see the movie, he told me we had to help a friend with something and we'd meet him in town. So we stood outside McDonalds which was opposite the old ABC cinema in town. After waiting 20 or so minutes, my dad then suggests his friend must not be coming and instead we should go watch a movie. Awesome surprise was awesome.

That right there is all the joys of being a kid and a parent wrapped up in one post.

More like this in here please.

I remember the effort my Mother went to find a DragonZord when they were in short supply. To the point where she was calling stores every day. I'll never forget the day she called me at a friend's house (of all places) to say she'd found one and my siblings and me would have to put our pocket money for the next few weeks toward the purchase if we wanted it.

Power Rangers is sick. That clip was absolutely hilarious. I love that the song was actually commentary for the fight..."Go Green Ranger....don't let Goldar kill youoooo" or something.

Also.

58051_10150326504660581_509970580_16019496_1858716_n.jpg

I want to see that.

I never actually watched any of the Power Rangers series. I'm not sure if they were broadcast in Denmark. Recently, though, an internet reviewer has begun a series called History of Power Rangers in which he reviews the separate seasons, talks about the central plots, the characters, etc. It's a great way for someone like me who's never seen the show to get a thorough impression of it.

I'd be keen to see those too. I'm particularly interested in what happens to the original Rangers.

Fuck Rocky, Adam and Aiiiaiiiiaiiiiiiaiiiiiaiisiiaaaaa. The series went to hell when they lost the original cast, even if Zach was the most stereotypical black dude in the history of television.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/linkara/hopr

They can all be seen here. :) They start from the bottom in chronological order, and he does them once in a while as a side project, meaning they don't have a set schedule. They're worth the wait, though, I find.

They're done by Linkara (whom I recommended to you once, ReZ, by the way), an internet comic reviewer I've mentioned before on here. I know some people can't stand him, but I personally really like his style. Even if you don't like his regular videos, you may still like these as they're fairly different in tone and style from his regular stuff. I recommend people to at least check them out. Note than they're fairly long, though, especially some of the latter episodes.

I too was obsessed with Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers until they stopped airing it over here because it was too violent. It made me want to hurt someone.

I really wanted some of the toys, but the most I ever got were a couple of cheap knock-offs of the red and black rangers. When you took their helmets off, their faces were painted silver. :(

Fake edit: Actually, thinking about it, my brother and I did get Goldar and that blue monster, whatever his name was. Goldar was awesome and worked great as a bad guy no matter what toys I was playing it.

Oh how fondly I remember Power Rangers.

I think for me when it went to the Zeo part is when I lost interest.

Though it was (and maybe still is) a guilty pleasure from time to time.

Especially eps that brought back actors from previous series (and of course the original cast). "Forever Red" was a truely epic episode.

I think the worse thing they did was try to emulate the Japanese show so much to the extent that each new season had nothing to do with the previous ones. Though I think they retconed that at some point.

Seeing Tommy return in that Dino Rangers (think that what it was) series was cool too, I caught a fair few eps of that :heh:

Sad thing though I found out a while ago that the original Yellow Ranger, Trini, the actress that played her died in Sep 2001 in a car crash :cry:

RIP

220px-Thuy_Trang.jpg

I actually still have my original Mega Zord in the attic... hoping it might one day become a collectors item, though since I don't have the box even if it did I prolly wouldn't get much for it.

Edited by Mokong

Fucking MASSIVE FAN right here!!

Love everything about this show, and love the movie.

Any true fan stopped watching after the Film and Ninja Zords series I think!... No? Just wasn't the same after that!

ReZ from one fan to another, I'm a little disspointed in you choice of font for the movie... but I'm still calling dibs on playing one of the Rangers in your film! :p

Ah yes, Power Rangers. That takes me way back. Barely remember it even though I used to watch the original series of it all the time when it was on, and those episodes were definitely the best of the show. I was constantly amazed at the redesigns they kept doing in years post original cast and even up to a few years ago, after seeing the adverts for the toys and stuff on tv with the elongated subtitles and such. So disappointing to see what was once a great show die the death it has done with countless attempts at rebirth only for it to fail miserably.

I've still got the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Movie: The Game for the Megadrive in a cupboard somewhere :D. Loved that game. A sort of Streets of Rage clone and it was surprisingly good fun to play. Must get the old Megadrive out at some point and play it again.

Oh and as for the (original) film.

I think the events of that took place in an "alt universe" and had no bearing on the shows.

Pretty sure the film and tv season that followed had differing origin story for the Ninja stuff?

Also I was really disappointed when the FRAKING AWESOME film ranger armour suits didn't make it into the show. Those suits looked wicked, I wanted (still do) one so much.

CONTACT THE POWER RANGERS AT ONCE

beep beep BUH BUH BEEP BEEP

We need Dinosaur Power NAAAAAAW

MASTODON!

mmpr-rg-zack.jpg

PTERODACTYL!

mmpr-rg-kimberly.jpg

TRICERATOPS!

mmpr-rg-billy.jpg

SABRETOOTH TIGER!

mmpr-rg-trini.jpg

TYRANNOSAURUS!

mmpr-rg-jason.jpg

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH

I HATE THE POWER RANGERS! I HATE THE POWER RANGERS!

RitaRepulsa02.jpg

---

I'm remaking it as my first major Hollywood film. ReZ is...doing something too. Like... there, giving me ideas.

I love how completely innapropriate it is that the Black Ranger is a black man, and the Yellow Ranger is Asian! How did that slip through? :shakehead

But yeah. I loved so much. My favourite thing was my Pink, Red and Yellow Ranger figures with heads that switched between their helmets and their normal identities.

SABRETOOTH TIGER!

mmpr-rg-trini.jpg

It always confused and disturbed also as a child how the yellow ranger in ranger suit lost her boobs :shakehead

And it happened in every series. :heh:

Paj, how old were you when (the best series of) Power Rangers was on... 6?

I have to first question your knowledge if this remake is to stand! :p

Edited by Retro_Link

Paj, how old were you when (the best series of) Power Rangers was on... 6?

I have to first question your knowledge if this remake is to stand! :p

I will be there to gently guide creative decisions. :p

I'm adamant on casting Idris Elba as the Black Ranger.

Lets see a show of hands, who wanted a bit of the pink ranger?

*raises hand*

*raises hand*

I'm adamant on casting Retro Link as the Green/White Ranger.
Thank you!! :yay: Edited by Retro_Link

Lets see a show of hands, who wanted a bit of the pink ranger?

*raises hand*

I want(ed) to pork her till she was became the red ranger.