N-Europe

Idea: Media Forum/Subforum

Shorty

A new forum for media stuff. Good idea?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. A new forum for media stuff. Good idea?

• Not a good idea... a great idea!
    • Terrible idea, I hate you!

I'd like to gather a general opinion on this idea. We've talked about it behind the scenes, and there are many arguments for and against, but the general opinion of you guys would weigh heavily on one side.

The basic premise is another forum with dedicated threads for all TV shows, bands and albums, books, the comic book and anime threads, movies and things like that.

I'm not saying if it wins the vote, it'll definitely happen, but it will definitely help us move the discussion along.

So go ahead, vote! Discuss!

Edited by Shorty

I'm generally in favour as it'll give more freedom to folks to create threads about how Marvel & DC are both terrible and leaving everyone else to get on with things.

However, I do hate you Shorty. Oh so very very much.

No one should be that handsome.

Personally, I'm slightly more for than against. I think there are a few shows I like, which only maybe 5 or 6 other members like (such as Smallville, Naruto) which it would be nice to chat about, without having to go and bump the thread from page 3 every week.

That said, I also don't think it would be a dead/slow moving board. Certainly busier than the playgrounds because people always love to rush to the internet after an episode and post their opinions for everyone to gloss over before posting their opinions.

On the other hand we don't want general chit chat to get quieter particularly.

The current forum vote is surprisingly balanced, perhaps this will get us nowhere after all :p

More people should give their opinion on why it SHOULD happen to be honest.

But I will say no for a few reasons

1) It will kill general chat.. Like it would kill it dead ( you've taken music.movies and tv away from it......that leaves constant "how was your day" clones in my opinion)

2) Subforums create barriers, makes it more intimidating to newer members, when there is no need when you aren't THAT big of a forum.

3) nothing wrong with bumping a thread from page 3. It gives the illusion that more discussion is going on.

4) I think media will end up becoming barren as well after some time.It will start with having nostalgic threads for the first few weeks and then poof.. another playground. I can feel shit like " the simpsons sucks" and " your favourite tv intro" threads popping up again too.

5)I mean it's going to make life a little more difficult for mods too. Is the football season classified as media for one? There's going to be a few complications in there.

6) You are a gaming forum, everything that ISN'T gaming IS general chat.

I could probably think of more if I strain myself, but I won't.

Edited by mcj metroid

More people should give their opinion on why it SHOULD happen to be honest.

But I will say no for a few reasons

1) It will kill general chat.. Like it would kill it dead ( you've taken music.movies and tv away from it......that leaves constant "how was your day" clones in my opinion)

2) Subforums create barriers, makes it more intimidating to newer members, when there is no need when you aren't THAT big of a forum.

3) nothing wrong with bumping a thread from page 3. It gives the illusion that more discussion is going on.

4) I think media will end up becoming barren as well after some time.It will start with having nostalgic threads for the first few weeks and then poof.. another playground. I can feel shit like " the simpsons sucks" and " your favourite tv intro" threads popping up again too.

5)I mean it's going to make life a little more difficult for mods too. Is the football season classified as media for one? There's going to be a few complications in there.

6) You are a gaming forum, everything that ISN'T gaming IS general chat.

I could probably think of more if I strain myself, but I won't.

I second all of these points. Especially the division thing... There are certain people who only go in Tech, and in the playground. We don't need more separation.

We will end up with less talk in Gen. I thought the idea of the previous update was to encourage more threads/discussion.. Well I've noticed now the "dust has settled" so to speak, that gen is a bit quieter again. I dunno if it would be a good idea to go diving things up more because we'll be left with little in Gen.

To me a subforum is just the same as having a general topic thread. Pushing everything away into another box no-one will look at.

I'm not sure on it to be fair. Could it kill Gen Chat or enhance it further. With no media-related threads/topics it could allow for more creativity in topics. Or, it could kill it by taking everything away from Gen Chat.

It could benefit members like myself, who havn't seen/not interested in what is going on in some topics. There is only one way to find out really, and that is to put it up as a test to see what actually happens.

Me (for) and Flink (against) have wasted several theses worth of words on this problem. I just deleted a massive chunk of text where I 'summarised' my side of the argument, but I don't know if it's my place to 'convince' people. I will just say it is reversable, so why not give it a shot? We have more to gain than we do to lose.

Personally, I'm slightly more for than against. I think there are a few shows I like, which only maybe 5 or 6 other members like (such as Smallville, Naruto) which it would be nice to chat about, without having to go and bump the thread from page 3 every week.

That said, I also don't think it would be a dead/slow moving board. Certainly busier than the playgrounds because people always love to rush to the internet after an episode and post their opinions for everyone to gloss over before posting their opinions.

On the other hand we don't want general chit chat to get quieter particularly.

The current forum vote is surprisingly balanced, perhaps this will get us nowhere after all :p

I put for for these reasons, I quite like the idea of sub-forum just for films etc. :)