NEurope
Happenstance

Beyond Good & Evil HD

Ubisoft will release a high definition version of cult classic Beyond Good & Evil on Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network.

It'll be the same game released in 2003 but with HD visuals, reports IGN.

The character models and textures will receive a makeover, and the sountrack is being re-mastered.

As you'd expect, Achievements and Trophies and online leaderboards are added.

What is Beyond Good & Evil? Shame on you. The Michael Ancel-created game was applauded by critics for its The Legend of Zelda-esque gameplay, vehicular transport and brilliant combat system.

Redeem yourself with our retrospective from last year.

A price or release window is yet to be announced.

A sequel is in the works. It was unveiled in 2008 at the publisher's spring UbiDays event. Little has been seen of the game since then, although Ancel popped-up last year to tell us this "direct sequel" will be more "immersive" and "complex" - the game he'd envisaged making first-time around but couldn't due to technical hindrances.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-09-30-beyond-good-and-evil-hd-confirmed

doesn't make up for the fact that we don't know when or if a sequel will ever appear but I am happy seem as my copy of Beyond Good and Evil went missing!

Same for me, just one of those games that i didnt pick up, but heard alot of good things about,

will give it a try on 360.

Played it, loved it, will rape it for achievements.

There are these collectables in the game and if you get to a certain point you can no longer go back and get them. THIS TIME! THIS TIME I SHALL KNOW.

Now I have an excuse to finish this game.

Played it, loved it, will rape it for achievements.

There are these collectables in the game and if you get to a certain point you can no longer go back and get them. THIS TIME! THIS TIME I SHALL KNOW.

I still cry myself to sleep knowing that I spend too much time being in awe of a big ass water creature that only appeared once at the start of the and forgot to take its picture.

I never actually got round to playing this.

No excuses now.

Same here.

Man, I love those HD remakes.

Lovely. One of my all time favourite games. The soundtrack is sublime too.

Just hope this doesn't push back a sequel.

I can see this being a testing ground for the sequel. You know, to see whether people are still genuinely interested in the IP.

Very excited to see it getting a re-release. Already have the game on the Gamecube but I'm more than happy to buy it again when it comes out next year as I love the game. It's just so good. And as you say Tapedeck, the soundtrack really is fantastic. I've got that on my PC. Haven't listened to it in a while but there are some absolutely beautiful pieces in there. Hopefully the re-mastering of the soundtrack doesn't detract from its greatness.

You can catch the first screens over at Gamersyde, although honestly it just looks like the PC version to me. I'll still buy the new release, mind.

Also:

Yeah. I was kind of expecting realistic pig sweat...

Awesome game however.

as a downloadable its obviously going to be a fully HD games just upscaled and looking slightly nicer.

Aimless; I've noticed you have a good ear for game music. Good post.

I've had a BRIEF search on tinternets and I can't find even a vague release date (yep, I'm not looking very hard) but I'm supposing it'll be winter 2010, or is that too presumptuous?

I loved this game. That was the year Ubisoft wowed me with both this and Prince of Persia: Sands of Time...nostalgia boner

Considering PoP HD 1-3 remakes were in 3D I'm secretly hoping this will be in 3D too.

Makes sense?!

Jade in 3D would be smexy and the hovercraft sections seem suited to 3D visuals. (I've been playing Waverace in 3D (upscaled on Samsung) and it is sublime).

I also never got round to playing this, looking forward to it's release. I really don't know why, always thought it looked pretty awesome. I also sold POP: Sands of Time before I completed it....I had some sort of mental deficiency back in the day.

3D = don't care. Will get this re-release DEFINITELY. Praying the sequel is on its way.

So now this is being advertised as part of Microsoft's XBLA House Party will it be a timed exclusive?!

First Strangers Wrath and now BG&E....I am so happy!!! I completed it 99% back in the day but missed one of those orb things in one of the dungeons and couldn't get back to the room it was in :/

I hope some more 128bit-era games get the digital HD re-release treatment. Would be great to see games like Freedom Fighters and Metal Arms given another chance to shine.

Another skipper of the original version. I will be sure to take this game into consideration for my gaming purchases this year.

First Strangers Wrath and now BG&E....I am so happy!!! I completed it 99% back in the day but missed one of those orb things in one of the dungeons and couldn't get back to the room it was in :/

I hope some more 128bit-era games get the digital HD re-release treatment. Would be great to see games like Freedom Fighters and Metal Arms given another chance to shine.

Not gonna happen any time soon. Was listening on a podcast (might have been Games Dammit although don't quote me on that) and there is some dumbness about who owns the license the guy who created the franchise not owning the IP and whoever now owns it (Vivendi published it so guessing them?) not wanting to sell it to him even though they admitted they had no interest in releasing anything to do with the franchise.

I loved Freedom Fighters. Still own my Gamecube version. It wasn't without fault but such an under-rated game. I loved how it combined strategy with action.