N-Europe

The Cinema

Goafer

I'm not too fussy about where I sit, but given a choice I prefer "the bar", which is the front row of the back section (with a bar in front funnily enough). Nice height so I don't have to spend the whole film looking up, but with no one in front to ruin the view. Lots of legroom too.

That's for the disabled people in the house isn't it? Either way I go there too, mainly for the added foot area.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the screen at my local (Vue) - in some screens, the walk-way from the door leads you into a middle plateau bit between the back and front, and the bar for disabled people is there, right in the middle. Sometimes it's at the very front though, which seems a bit mean - the front is horrible.

My local cinema has 2 sections. A flat bit at the front and a staired bit. The bar I'm referring to is the front row of the staired bit. It's slightly raised from the aisle that separates the 2 sections, which is why it has the bar.

The disabled seats are the last row of the flat bit. There is a bit in the middle of the back row where there are no seats, which I'm assuming is for the wheelchairs.

Edit: A picture speaks a thousand words:

cinema-screen.jpg

Mine and Goafers local Odeon cinema is pretty horrible. Its only got 2 screens so they barely show any movies and its way too expensive. Much prefer the Cineworld we go to, lucky really as Goafer (quite rightly) wont go to any others anymore since he got his unlimited card.

We did have fun a few months ago though. Cineworld had just introduced new computer/tills and we were served by a new girl as well. Because of Goafers card we have to order our tickets seperately and just get them to seat us next to eachother but twice this new girl didnt inform the other people she was booking a seat so mine was taken while she was booking Goafers.

My cinema-going opportunities are limited. I either don't know anyone who's into films, or else their taste is hugely different from mine. I go a few times a year probably, when our tastes do rarely match.

I went to see Australia on my own. But i sort of felt like a loser after. Which is odd, cos when i see other people alone in the cinema i think they are cool, and un-loserish.

I really want to try out the cinema from my hometown. It had been shut down due to it being unsafe for over 10 years, but they decided to re-do it after I moved away. It was the first fully digital cinema in Wales.

facilitiesCinema.jpg

The big downside is it having only one screen, so at times it can be quite late at showing films.

I don't go to the cinema much, only really go with Jim (so about once every two months). On very very rare occasions I go with friends, but that's maybe once or twice a year I think.

I find the cinema too expensive to go more often anyway. It's a bit of a rip-off. Also, certain films aren't shown here, or get shown late. I don't think it's the cinema's fault, but still. Like for example, I'm not sure if Precious got shown (if it did, I missed it) and Scott Pilgrim apparently isn't being shown until December? =/

When pirate films (the ones with someone filming it on a camcorder) are much higher quality than your local cinema (Cineworld Stockport) then I'd rather wait until I can rent the Blu-Ray from Lovefilm.

I was hugely disappointed as my previous local Cineworld (Llandudno Junction) was fantastic.

It's not all that hard to find a decent pirate copy of a new release if you really want to...

I'm not that big a fan of the cinema to be honest, I think it's too expensive for what it is. Generally paying around £6 to sit in a rather uncomfy seat with little leg room (Cineworld, Renfrew Steet, Glasgow) isn't my idea of what I'd call fun. Towards the end of the film I'm getting cramped legs and feeling stiff etc.

My other local cinema, The Grovensors is really nice though, proper leather comfy chairs and lots of legroom. It only has 2 screens and not many seats in each one so it's always quiet. However it doesn't have that many films on due to only 2 screens. If you go on a student night its actually cheaper than the Cineworld too at £4 I think. Other nights its still not that much more and if you want you can pay for a whole sofa for you and the girlfriend. Oh, and you can buy alcohol there too and take it in with you.

For the most part I'm perfectly happy just sitting at home watching a DVD as it means I can watch it in my own time, pause it if I need the toilet or to get a drink. I can stretch out and lie down on the sofa, go on Facebook if it's boring. :heh:

And in terms of films, I'm definitely a TV series man rather than a film man. I would much rather pick up a good TV series than watch a film. Short, 40 minute episodes are far better than 2 hour long films in my eyes. :)

I don't see what's so dreadful about going to the cinema alone -- I do it all the time!

I do have audience complex though -- where I worry more about what my friends and family think of a movie than actually enjoying it myself.

I really fucking hate when you come out a movie which you thought was amazing and the person you're with was obviously really unbothered/unmoved/unphased by the movie. After Kick-Ass I was fangasming, and had to get a lift home with my work friends who totally sucked any enjoyment from the event because their only reaction was "That was good", then proceeded to talk about something else.

I just generally hate when people don't talk about movies after having seen them. That's my favourite part of a cinema visit.

I don't see what's so dreadful about going to the cinema alone -- I do it all the time!

I do have audience complex though -- where I worry more about what my friends and family think of a movie than actually enjoying it myself.

I really fucking hate when you come out a movie which you thought was amazing and the person you're with was obviously really unbothered/unmoved/unphased by the movie. After Kick-Ass I was fangasming, and had to get a lift home with my work friends who totally sucked any enjoyment from the event because their only reaction was "That was good", then proceeded to talk about something else.

I just generally hate when people don't talk about movies after having seen them. That's my favourite part of a cinema visit.

The opposite is fucking amazing, though. I went to see Kick-Ass with my best friend, who's just as much of a geek as I am, and we were totally high afterwards. We did the same with Sherlock Holmes - an absolutely amazing feeling! :D

My local cinema has 2 sections. A flat bit at the front and a staired bit. The bar I'm referring to is the front row of the staired bit. It's slightly raised from the aisle that separates the 2 sections, which is why it has the bar.

The disabled seats are the last row of the flat bit. There is a bit in the middle of the back row where there are no seats, which I'm assuming is for the wheelchairs.

Edit: A picture speaks a thousand words:

cinema-screen.jpg

Ours (Showcase) are similar to that.

Cinemalayouts.jpg

Love the cinema, but this recent 3d phase is bothering me.

i can't speak for other cinemas, but the screen gets ridiculously dark when the glasses go on and also most films don't use the damn thing. Also where I am they don't have kids sizes.. That's kinda weird.

Also I heard popcorn bags are becoming the norm... wtf?

Love the cinema, but this recent 3d phase is bothering me.

I agree, also the fact that some films are purposely bullshitted to be 3D. You can tell watching the adverts they've fucked about with the film just so they can make it 3D (naturally it brings in the money, so mission accomplished) such as Step Up 3D where you see the stupid dancing in water. And the new Resident Evil film.