NEurope
Goafer

The Cinema

28237_10150204484610341_687920340_13229565_2568400_n.jpg

These seats are terrible...

I went to the cinema alone for the first time today. It was nice not having to worry (I use the term loosely) about whether or not my friends were enjoying the film. It's definitely something I'll be repeating more in the future.

I have one of those spangly Cineworld Unlimited cards. I used to work 4 day weeks at my old job, so me and a work friend (who also had one) used to go watch 2 films every Friday. It was great, since we'd watch 2 films and see a load of trailers in each. More often than not, a couple of those trailers would look appealing, or at least appealing enough for films we didn't have to pay for, so we'd watch some of them the next week. It was a vicious circle, except a good one. The more films we'd watch, the more trailers we'd see, which meant more films that we wanted to watch. There has only been 2 films to date that I really wish I hadn't bothered with: Deathproof and Epic Movie.

Nowerdays, I work 5 day weeks, my friend from my old job cancelled his card and my other friends with cards don't always have the same taste in films (the friend from work would pretty much watch anything since it was free. Some of my other friends with cards are a bit more narrow minded). This has fueled my desire to go alone so that I can make the most of the £13 a month. I've missed a few films because I'd had no one to go with. Now I'm just going to be a lonely sod and watch what I want to.

So what are peoples views on the cinema in general? Is the big screen the epitome of movie watching, or do all the other people in the room ruin the experience with their rustling, whispering, booting the backs of seats etc? What's your preferred seat in the cinema? Front row eye bleed or back row lovin'? Any tales of good/bad cinemas?

Edited by Goafer

backseats for the win.

I really dislike noisy kids.... one time I was in the cinema with a mate. It was us and these kids, noone else. They were being noisy farts so we threw popcorn at them. Mwahahah. :D

Last film I saw at the cinema was Open Water... long time ago yes.... but my god was that film a disgrace.

I normally go with people but I saw Avatar 3D by myself and I adored it. It was simply amazing. While it's a laugh with your mates, I think going by yourself is a little better because, as you said, you don't have to worry.

And WTF IS THAT PICTURE? I HOPE IT'S NOT REAL!

I've never been by myself. For some reason I can't bring myself to do it.

And WTF IS THAT PICTURE? I HOPE IT'S NOT REAL!

It's the old Aylesbury Odeon. It's derelict. I'm a naughty boy.

That's what I used to be like. Today I just thought "sod it, nothing else to do" and went on the spur of the moment. It was good, I recommend it.

Do it! It's awesome if you choose a good movie.

It's the old Aylesbury Odeon. It's derelict. I'm a naughty boy.

Ah, good picture! :)

As much as I enjoy the cinema, a huge part of it is the experience of going with friends or somebody I care about. It's like a night out for me. I like the whole fuss of getting snacks and drinks beforehand, and the ooohing and ahhing when a new film is shown in the trailers.

I do have friends that have gone by themselves and they've enjoyed it, but I don't think its for me. Ideally, I would like to have a cinema that was completely empty except for me and my people. That would be great. :heh:

I go by myself a lot. I also have a Cineworld card and I'm self employed so just go whenever I can. It's hardly a social event so I don't understand why people are worried about going alone.

The only time I felt a little odd was when I watched TMNT and there were a few dads and their kids there.

But it's not like you'll ever see any of them again.

Perhaps I should have made a few barely audible "phwoar!!" remarks

As much as I enjoy the cinema, a huge part of it is the experience of going with friends or somebody I care about. It's like a night out for me. I like the whole fuss of getting snacks and drinks beforehand, and the ooohing and ahhing when a new film is shown in the trailers.

Yeah, with friends can be great. I usually have the hassle of finding a film everyone wants to see though. I don't mind too much which film we see since I don't have to pay for each film, but that normally means I miss out on the films I really want to see as my other friends with Unlimited Cards don't usually return the favour.

That's what I used to be like. Today I just thought "sod it, nothing else to do" and went on the spur of the moment. It was good, I recommend it.

Hmm, I shall consider it next time I'm out and about and got nothing to do.

...So probably Monday. :heh:

I love going to the cinema by myself it is heavily underrated. :grin: I've only seen like 4 by myself but definitely plan on doing more in the future.

Hannah Montana: The Movie

Princess and the Frog

Percy and the Jackson boys.

The Last Song.

If you keep trying to go with people you never end up going to see what you want to!

Having said that if you go with a friend and you both really enjoy a film then it is great, ala Couples Retreat.

I'll sit anywhere I'm not fussed but towards the back is good. :D

Whether I'm paying or not I'll usually watch anything I generally just love the cinema going experience and the big screen.

I usually go when its quiet though but if it is busy and there are people I can ignore then because I can block out all unnecessary noise around me.

This summer I've seen more films than I otherwise would have since I get free tickets for working in a cinema.

but at Uni I went many times I mean I've seen Prince of Persia twice in the cinema not having enjoyed it the first time. :p

working in a cinema?

That's a whole different kettle of fish, you get many strange people coming through those doors. :heh:

Yeah, with friends can be great. I usually have the hassle of finding a film everyone wants to see though. I don't mind too much which film we see since I don't have to pay for each film, but that normally means I miss out on the films I really want to see as my other friends with Unlimited Cards don't usually return the favour.

Yeah, I can imagine it being a pain with fussy friends. I don't go to the Cinema all too often, but I go with Ine whenever we're together. Usually there's a film out that we both want to see, such as Toy Story 3, or that one of us wants to see quite badly, like the Expendables.

It would probably be different if I went more often. But, at the moment, it's that stage where I see the films I pretty much want to see, but not so often enough that it's still a special thing. It's probably about once every 2 months.

I enjoy films more if I'm at the cinema. There are less distractions than watching one in your own home and obviously the screen and sound can't be matched in your living room.

Back to the Future is being released back into cinemas on the first of October and I can't wait. It's such a good film and although I've seen it so many times at home I just think the experience of seeing it on the big screen with a bunch of other people all there for that film will just enhance the viewing.

I've never gone to see a film on my own though. I like going with friends/family.

Okay this year in the cinema I have seen:

The Road

Princess And The Frog

Percy and the Jackson twins

The Lovely Bones

Alice In Wonderland

Kick Ass (twice)

Clash of the Titans

Iron Man 2

The Last Song

Prince of Persia (twice)

Street Dance 3D

Letters to Juliet

Inception

Toy Story 3 (3 Times)

Shrek Forever After

Knight and Day

Cats and Dogs 2: Revenge of Kitty Galore

Salt

Scott Pilgrim Vs The World

Phew! I also missed out on a few that I wanted to see. :D Anyone care to do their own I want to see whether this is many films? or average amount?

Daybreakers

Youth in Revolt

The Wolfman

Shutter Island

The Crazies

Alice in Wonderland

Clash of the Titans

Kick-Ass

Harry Brown

Iron Man 2

Get Him To The Greek

Toy Story 3

Knight And Day

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

Looking forward to Skyline in November

There are loads that have been out that I didn't get a chance to see due to being at work so much, top of that list is expendables and inception.

I just got back from seeing The Last Exorcism with two friends. The entire cinema had about 10 people in it, and we bonded as a group, making jokes at the movie's expense and generally having a riot.

The cinema is always going to be the best place to watch a movie.

Oh, the movie was pretty good too. A 7/10 from me.

---

Best cinema I've ever been to is BFI Southbank in London. Never had a bad experience there and I'd make the trip just to watch a movie in comfort.

Edited by Guy

Im pretty sure I was with Goafer when this happened but I can never remember which cinema it was in.

Anyway a few years ago we were watching a movie and I was sitting on the end of the isle when I saw either a rat or a mouse going down the stairs. Put me off cinemas a bit for a while.

I've been on my own a couple of times and it was fine, I got the feeling people were looking at me like I was a weirdo though...

I tend to go with the missus a lot as we have the same taste in films which is good. We usually do the whole meal thing then cinema. Date style :)

Films I've seen this year at the cinematic:

Daybreakers

The Lovely Bones

Green Zone

Shutter Island

Kick Ass

Four Lions

Clash of the Titans 3D

Twilight: Eclipse

Iron Man 2

Robin Hood

Inception

The Expendables

Scott Pilgrim Vs The World

I think that is more or less it...

I've been to the cinema by myself a few times, started going years ago when my friends all were out making babies.

I can't remember what I've seen at the cinema this year but I did recently find my stubs and it consisted of loads of animated films, Precious (was that out this year?) and Inception.

When pirate films (the ones with someone filming it on a camcorder) are much higher quality than your local cinema (Cineworld Stockport) then I'd rather wait until I can rent the Blu-Ray from Lovefilm.

I was hugely disappointed as my previous local Cineworld (Llandudno Junction) was fantastic.

If it's a movie that I really want to watch and feel it'll probably be very good, then I have to wait until it's nearly out of cinema listings and go with my girlfriend.

I can't stand people in cinemas... people using phones, talking and rustling fucking food like they've come to just to eat.

People standing up to piss as well, fuck off.

I'll go to a new showing with friends for movies that I'm not really fussed about though.

I never go to the cinema alone and I actually think part of the charm of the cinema comes from the community aspect but then again I never had to deal with annoying people in the audience.

It's also really cool if most other people share the same humor, for instance I went to see Kick-Ass and when Hit Girl started to slaughter everybody when she first appeared most of the audience started laughing (including me) and cheering her on.

I usually like to sit in one of the last few rows because then I'm on the same height as the center of the screen, which my neck is very thankful for.

I'm not too fussy about where I sit, but given a choice I prefer "the bar", which is the front row of the back section (with a bar in front funnily enough). Nice height so I don't have to spend the whole film looking up, but with no one in front to ruin the view. Lots of legroom too.

People who buy nachos. Fuck. Off.

The loudest and most potent food ever is somehow considered good cinema snack?

The cinema can be a good thing to do but I find if I'm not with friends I'd probably end up killing half the children just because they are so damn noisy.

I've seen this year probably about 2-3 films, my friends always prefer drinking and such which is why I've had to wait for release dates on so many films as I just don't enjoy the idea of going by myself.

It's mostly because I like that idea of sharing snacks and discussing the movie at the end and enjoying the trailers going ''ooo we should see that!!''