NEurope
Goafer

The Cinema

I feel for the poor sod who's back is facing the screen.

I don't. They get the best show of all: The back row.

One of my lecturers used to be an usher in a cinema (in Canada eh?) and apparently he caught two people having sex, quite unashamedly. Good times. For them...and maybe him.

Anyway I'm just going to say this: I like 3D.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

I quite like 3D. It gives the cinema that special something again. People have big screens and decent sound systems at home now. Home 3D is still a bit shit, so it gives the cinema experience something unique again.

That said, I could just as easily live without it. I certainly wouldn't see a film just because it was in 3D. It also seems to be breeding laziness. I can't think of a single 3D film with a decent plot. Maybe the kids films that are enjoyable for adults (Like Up etc). It's mainly for those sort of films that you just switch off and watch the pretty colours.

I have no particular love or hate for 3D. Ive only ever seen one 3D movie though and that was Avatar. I'll most likely only ever got see a movie in 3D if I have a choice if its built around the 3D and ive been told it adds a lot. Otherwise im perfectly happy watching something in 2D.

It's possible that 3D could be used to genuinely amazing effect in a film, but it hasn't happened yet, and it's definitely not something to apply across the board - imagine watching A Serious Man in 3D! As it is, it makes things look a little prettier when it doesn't grate with the content (e.g. Toy Story 3, Up, and also Avatar, which is largely a test of the 3D format).

I'm not really fond of the 3D thing but I feel I miss out on stuff if I watch a 3D film in 2D. I tend to move my eyes over the canvas a lot more searching for the focal point of the camera and observing lots of beatifully blurry 3D in the meantime.

Now 3D in games is simply amazing.

Am... Look the way 3d is now is not going to last forever.

Every so often the cinema falls into a slumb and with the introduction of glasses-free 3d tvs I really think cinemas will be too far behind the home experience to compete until the NEXT gimmick.

Also charging an extra 3 quid for a 3d film is taking the piss.

Edited by mcj metroid

Am... Look the way 3d is now is not going to last forever.

Every so often the cinema falls into a slumb and with the introduction of glasses-free 3d tvs I really think cinemas will be too far behind the home experience to compete until the NEXT gimmick.

Also charging an extra 3 quid for a 3d film is taking the piss.

True but when it comes out in the cinema you can't watch it at home straight away, so 3D at the cinema could still be viable. I thought it was really, really good for Avatar anyway.

I love 3D, I have done since I was a kid and it's brilliant to see how 3D has developed. Avatar was the first RealD movie I saw and I instantly fell in love. However, I don't like how everything is 3D, I think it should happen with some movies but not all of them. I'm glad it's happening to movies like Saw and Harry Potter but I heard that Scott Pilgrim had amazing potential to be 3D, I wouldn't have minded seeing that in 3D. Movies like Clash of the Titans are a waste of time in 3D as it's like watching the 2D version so it proves that it can't work sometimes.

Scott Pilgrim might have looked ok in 3D, but ulitmately it should be 2D as it's a film about two types of 2D media (comics and 8/16 bit video games).

love love love the cinema! Just such a great place to meet up with friends and I love discussing the film afterwards. Especially reciting all the funny lines if it's a genuine funny film.

I'd say I'm fairly impartial to the whole 3-D thing. I quite enjoy it and I think that my eyes no longer get hurt by it. But an extra fiver for a 3-D movie?! Why can't I just bring in the 3-D glasses that I got in the first place?

love love love the cinema! Just such a great place to meet up with friends and I love discussing the film afterwards. Especially reciting all the funny lines if it's a genuine funny film.

I'd say I'm fairly impartial to the whole 3-D thing. I quite enjoy it and I think that my eyes no longer get hurt by it. But an extra fiver for a 3-D movie?! Why can't I just bring in the 3-D glasses that I got in the first place?

This only seems to happen in rip-off-Ireland.

See i'm not sure, I'm gonna guess a lot of the people that say they love the 3d have way better quality cinemas than us over here. Does everyones go ridiculously dark?

3D will only become mainstream when they lose the glasses, and I hate to beat the dead horse here but it really is a problem. These new 3d tvs are hilarious like.

I'll watch my Tron in 3D only because of its sharp minimalist look, otherwise I hate it in the cinema.

On a 3D TV, though? Hell yes.