NEurope
Ellmeister

Do you believe in a soul-mate?

Personally, I don't.

I'd like to know whether you guys think there is someone out there "destined" to be with you. What would they be like? Would they have everything in common with you?

I wouldn't want to have everything in common with another person, I enjoy a bit of differing opinion/conflict on matters. So yeah, discuss.

No, I don't believe in them as some sort of supernatural, "destined to be with you" person. I put I'd like to meet one in the "What Do You Want...?" thread, but I just meant, for me, it's very, very rare to meet anyone that really has much in common with me.

Don't believe in them at all, just varying levels of compatibility. I'm sure that there are many different people that we each fit with to the extent of a 'soul mate' it's just dependent on which one you happen to meet at the right time and in the right situation.

Someone you're destined to be with? No.

Someone that is compatible with you, with whom you'll be able to have a happy life? Yes, no doubt they exist. And no doubt, it's not just one person.

I'd like to think there is somewhere out there who is perfect for each other. The problem is obviously meeting them.

Odds have it there are loads of people who are "perfect" for you. You'll just never meet most/any of them.

I believe there are people out there for you where things just click with, who you can feel comfortable with and share things with etc. They don't even need to have everything in common.

Don't really believe in a soul-mate though, that one person that is just destined to be with you. Sounds a bit ridiculous. If that was the case, we'd probably never find that person.

No. Its a concept almost as ridiculous as God.

Don't be ReZdiculous!

I don't know whether I believe in this or not. I do believe that certain people are meant to meet and be together. Like, certain events have to take place in order for that person to find their "specific person." But, I don't know if that counts as a soul-mate or not.

Also, could a friend be a soul-mate? If they can, then I would say that yes, I do believe in soul-mates. At some point in your life, you meet or will meet a friend who is different in many ways to your other friends. They stand out from the crowd.

No. Its a concept almost as ridiculous as God.
I'd say you've found yours! Who else could be so understanding! ;)

Nobody is "meant" to do anything, nothing is "meant" to happen, it just does, or it doesn't. The world doesn't work like a movie or a fairytale, its just a wet rock spinning round an unremarkable ball of fire.

Nobody is "meant" to do anything, nothing is "meant" to happen, it just does, or it doesn't. The world doesn't work like a movie or a fairytale, its just a wet rock spinning round an unremarkable ball of fire.

Lol.

Wet ball.

Hm I can't be the only person who thought of.

20070410043347the_simpsons_3f24.png

There has to be plenty of people out there perfect for you. Thousands so no i don't believe in this ONE soul-mate who is perfect for you. There are plenty.

At the end of the day a relationship takes work. You could find the person suited to you most and throw it away through lack of effort. Its not the sole consideration when it comes to a relationship..

People can be happy with someone who wouldn't be considered their ideal if they work at it and love the person enough. And they could be more than happy with this existence.

I don't want to be in a mushy mushy perfect relationship anyway. Differences and clashes make life a lot more interesting. :heh:

At the end of the day a relationship takes work.

This is definitely true.

I had to work about 12 hours before I could afford a one hour relationship.

This is definitely true.

I had to work about 12 hours before I could afford a one hour relationship.

I can't remember the last post you made that wasn't a joke, very good jokes, but we're getting flooded. Trying to make it as a comedian?

It's a romantic, unrealistic, sorrowful-upon-contemplation idea.

For me at the moment I have what I'd consider 2 very close 'best-friends'. Clicky buddies ya know? But I still don't feel utterly connectable with them. We do a ton of weird shit, which appeals to both our personalities, but I don't know anyone, and probably won't ever know anyone who I truly can see 100% eye to eye with in all respects. Likelihood is, it's probably impossible. If I saw this soul mate I'd probably be confused by them.

That's why it's important to roll with people that exist in the flesh.

In order to believe in soul mates, you have to basically believe in pre destination, fate, destiny and all that.

Which is, like, bullshit.

Was having a vague chat about this with a friend at a pub today.

Essentially, I would say I have a few 'soul-mates' - but, truthfully, it's really a retroactive label.

my 'xx' is my 'soulmate' because we shared some experiences that joined us in those moments, and subsequentially the memories have endowed us both with such powerful nostalgia that it's hard to drive a wedge between us. Now, she'd be first to admit that we're hugely different people, and as such we're not your teleotypical harry and sally. But that shared history just provides a connection that is extremely difficuly to supervene. Not sure if that's a word.

My other 'soul mates' are some close friends that I've known for a long, long, long time. mostly, we're friends who are able to meet up whenever and wherever, and essentially not give a shit about any negative circumstances, we're just glad to catch up. With a couple of the friends there's a certain unspoken nature to our friendship, where there's just a default comfort zone around them that you don't get with regular weirdostrangers. It's a relationship that demands little, and forgives everything. These are the sort of friends that you'll find you are exchanging glasses of secrets within 10 minutes of meeting up again.

But then I guess they're not 'soul mates' in the romantic term. That term suggests that two people can fit together like jigsaw pieces, where each of them somehow naturally wants the opposite in each possible binary option... which in reality doesn't work. It's a matter of probability which reduces it down to improbability!

Ultimately, you can meet someone who is simply willing to be extra leniant, up for compromising that little bit more than everyone else. The romantic notion that there's the ONE key to your heart-lock? Nonsense. There's far more to learn from interacting with a variety of souls. There's no hurry. As daft said, there are in actuality loads of people suited to you. Really, you just have to try and avoid being tied down to any one of them for as long as it takes.

IMO.

20100628.gif

I don't think there's any such thing as a soul-mate, for obvious reasons. But I do think it's possible to reach a state where only one person will ever be right for you - and I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or not. Depends on the circumstances, I suppose.