NEurope
Murr

Super Mario All-Stars

With this, DKCR, Goldeneye and Black Ops it's going to be a good end of year for me! Plus I still need to pick up the new SEGA arcade hits pack but my local stores are sold out :(

It's nice we're getting the lovely box and extras, I was gutted when we didn't get the Metroid Prime Trilogy one.

Crazy Speed Run gameplay:

Advert:

It's probably been said somewhere, but the version of SMB1 included is different to the 8-bit original then. I think I'd prefer to have the original version.

I still am failing to see the point of this collection really.

While we're at it, where would everyone rate the difficulty of the main console series Mario games (SMB1, 2, 3, World, 64, Sunshine, Galaxy, NSMBWii, Galaxy 2), in order from most difficult to most easy?

[..]

I agree mostly. If I get it, it will be more for collecting purposes (cool packaging), the book, and the soundtrack.. But the gamedisc itself will never see the inside of my Wii.

I never liked the "updated" graphics, I think the games should be played in their original looks. Preferrably on a NES or Famicom, otherwise get the VC versions. Apart from that, it just simply fails as a collection disc. It's the exact same content as Super Mario Allstars. Including Super Mario World and Super Mario 64 is the least they could've done, but Sunshine and probably even Galaxy should've been on there, and to make it complete they could add a video documentary on Mario on the disc as a bonus.

It's unlikely I'm getting this, unless I get it for the soundtrack and packaging.

Yeah, the original graphics are way more appealing than the versions on this disc, therefore for me if I wanted to replay the game I'd get them on the VC.

I really don't like SMB2 anyway, and I'm not fussed about Lost Levels, so for me it's just SMB1 & 3, and I've played quite a bit of 1 anyway. So this collections kinda fails!

Including Galaxy is perhaps a bit much, but you're right, they could have!

It could have been an impressive multi disc collection, and been priced at £40-£50 including all console Mario's up to Galaxy, an orchestral soundtrack and artwork!

So the classic Mario sprite that is on every bit of packaging is not actually in the game?

So the classic Mario sprite that is on every bit of packaging is not actually in the game?
Yep, pretty much! Edited by Retro_Link

So they can make money out of Super Mario Allstars again?

I don't know why, but I've always preferred the All Stars versions...they've always felt more complete

While we're at it, where would everyone rate the difficulty of the main console series Mario games (SMB1, 2, 3, World, 64, Sunshine, Galaxy, NSMBWii, Galaxy 2), in order from most difficult to most easy?

Hm ok In terms of completing the main quest(just getting an ending)

Lost levels

super mario bros 2

super mario bros 3

super mario sunshine

super mario 64

super mario world

super mario bros 1

super mario galaxy 2

super mario galaxy 1

new super mario bros wii

new super mario bros ds ( lol)

now completing it fully 100% on the other hand

super mario sunshine

lost levels

super mario world

new super mario bros wii

super mario 64

super mario bros 2

super mario galaxy 2

super mario galaxy 1

super mario bros 3

new super mario bros ds

super mario bros 1

To bring casual gamers up to speed with mario titles?

You can quote virtual console all you like to me, but the fact is the service isn't advertised and frankly more people know about pc emulators.

I don't see the problem here really and I usually do with most remakes/ports. Mario games have started selling more than they have in years and they really are getting a whole new generation of gamers into mario again. NOW is the perfect time to release these collections.

I agree however, there isn't much to offer for hardcores like us, but you can hardly not see the point of this release altogether.

Dear lord I seldom play my Wii (and its currently still unpacked from my move) but I need a red one.

Wait...so does this have the SNES gfx? Any chance to play SMB2 again is awesome. I love that game.

Wait...so does this have the SNES gfx? Any chance to play SMB2 again is awesome. I love that game.

It's nice to see more love for the black sheep of the family.

A few have already said how they loved it and I couldn't agree more. I know it was essentially another game and many people hate it, but it has a special place in my gaming heart.

Here's a nice SMB2 theme remix. :D

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

I loved SMB2, the GBA version was great too.

I don't understand this game though. It's just a port of the SNES game?

Either use the classic graphics, upscaled to a higher resolution - suitable for a 25th anniversary feel - or completely update the graphics to modern NSMB standards. Using Snes graphics just seems to fall somewhere in between and makes no sense to me at all.

I loved SMB2, the GBA version was great too.

I don't understand this game though. It's just a port of the SNES game?

Either use the classic graphics, upscaled to a higher resolution - suitable for a 25th anniversary feel - or completely update the graphics to modern NSMB standards. Using Snes graphics just seems to fall somewhere in between and makes no sense to me at all.

It is a bit strange.. thought the SNES versions are still great :smile:

I'm not surprised that Nintendo haven't really went for anything particularly special with this because, to be honest, they always seem to give fans something but you always feel they could go further :hmm:

At the very least they could have had the NES originals and the SNES versions on there.. not to mention Super Mario World, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine..

As it is, it's impossible to get excited about it because I still have Super Mario Allstars on the SNES.. though I did notice the other night that all my save data had disappeared :indeed:

I think it's a good package, but it could have been better. I would have liked the NES and SNES styles, but as I have the games on the NES and Super Mario All Stars I'm not too fussed. What's more I am getting this more for the awesome collectors edition :)

I just love anything in an attractive box lol, especially if it has Mario in the box!

I just can't be disappointed. I always loved the All-Stars versions, and now it seems like I'm getting My first SNES game back with some pretty cool extras.

Seriously, I'm buying this game this December. I just can't let it pass by.

Edited by Retro_Link

Warps or no warps? :P

..are we including Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels in this list..? If so, I know exactly where it goes :eek:

FOR FUCK'S SAKE

http://wii.nintendolife.com/news/2010/11/super_mario_all_stars_25th_anniversary_is_50hz_only

If you've been crossing your fingers for Super Mario All-Stars 25th Anniversary Edition in the expectation of it receiving a PAL-optimised conversion, you can unbend them and start using them to type vitriolic comments now – the package will not be 60Hz compatible.

Below is the response reader XD375 received when enquiring with Nintendo Customer Service:

We have now received a response to your enquiry from our European head office. Unfortunately, the European version of Super Mario All-Stars runs the games at 50Hz and not 60Hz.

I understand somewhat with the Virtual Console stuff...but there is no excuse for it not to be progressive on a damn retail disk, especially as the other regions have it on at least 60hz interlace

FOR FUCK'S SAKE

http://wii.nintendolife.com/news/2010/11/super_mario_all_stars_25th_anniversary_is_50hz_only

I understand somewhat with the Virtual Console stuff...but there is no excuse for it not to be progressive on a damn retail disk, especially as the other regions have it on at least 60hz interlace

Agreed. I dread to think what Nintendo will shit out when they move to HD visuals.

Surely they could have released All Stars on the Virtual Console? It just seems odd to use a whole disc for a SNES game, I assume collectors will want it for the CD and booklet though.

Just a thought, but wouldn't it have been possible to put the soundtrack and game on the same disc? I know Wii games are on DVDs but isn't the device by default capable of reading CDs too.

Given they've spent precisely £0.00 on the porting process, surely putting these things together on one disc could have saved them a bit more money too.

Just a thought, but wouldn't it have been possible to put the soundtrack and game on the same disc? I know Wii games are on DVDs but isn't the device by default capable of reading CDs too.

Actually, the Wii lacks the hardware to read CDs (as in it physically can't read CDs, not that it simply doesn't have the software to do so).

Actually, the Wii lacks the hardware to read CDs (as in it physically can't read CDs, not that it simply doesn't have the software to do so).

That, I did not know - I just thought it was a software licensing thing.