Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Twitter

Beast

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this is embarrassing but...I thought that once people follow you, you follow them automatically...yeah I know! I've only just found out that I need to follow you too, lmao. I thought it did it automatically. It's quite good, it's not like Facebook at all. It's much better and easier.

It's not better because it's not the same thing. If the same 'follow' method had been applied to Facebook it would be a mess. It works with Twitter because it is a pretty minimal service.

Not really sure how it's easier since it took you this long to understand the process.

It's not better because it's not the same thing. If the same 'follow' method had been applied to Facebook it would be a mess. It works with Twitter because it is a pretty minimal service.

Not really sure how it's easier since it took you this long to understand the process.

I know where everything is on Twitter whereas in Facebook, it took me a couple of days to fully find everything. That was what I meant when I said it was easier.

Basically, following isn't commutative - "a follows b" doesn't equal "b follows a". Whereas on facebook, "a is friends with b" necessarily means "b is friends with a".

I think symmetricity* (or non-symmetricity in this case) would be a more fitting concept -- A having a relation to B doesn't necessarily imply B has a relation to A.

*Yay for on-the-spot-made-up nouns!

I'm not sure how i feel about Twitter. I like that you feel as if you're in the company of celebs, but it's also a bit alienating. Sometimes i don't understand half of the tweets on the latest tweet page. And it's annoying not being able to see the replies to a tweet someone has posted. I'd prefer it if you could.

I guess it doesn't help that i only have one spam follower. But no one i know has it. Everyone has Facebook instead.

I never really understood how to use twitter, until reading through this thread. Seems I was doing it right... putting @[the person I'm directing it to] in the tweet for them to see it. I thought I was doing it wrong seeing as I've never had the BBC F1 guys reply to any of my questions (or I thought maybe they had to follow me back)... but I guess they just have too many tweets to go through.

That's really my only use for it.

Other than to now pester Pancake.

I think symmetricity* (or non-symmetricity in this case) would be a more fitting concept -- A having a relation to B doesn't necessarily imply B has a relation to A.

*Yay for on-the-spot-made-up nouns!

True, thanks - I knew there was a better concept but couldn't think of it. You actually get symmetric verbs, where "a verbs b" means the same thing as "b verbs a". They're quite rare, I can only think of one in English right now.

I'm on twitter. I don't really tweet much but probably check it once a day to see what the people of interest/celebs I follow are up to. I find it a useful social tool and a awesome way to gain an insight into peoples lives that you'd never usually have, such as Simon Pegg.

My twitter thingy is in my sig, I'm pretty boring though if you choose to follow me.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!