N-Europe

Jumping The Shark and Other Stories

Dan_Dare

Simpsons used to be near timeless. During season 1-5 lets say not THAT many celebrities or pop culture references appeared. IN fact when there was a guest voice, they would play an actual fictional character central to the plot of the episode.

Like dustin hoffman played Mr bergstrum, the teacher Lisa had a crush on.

Even michael jackson didn't even play himself.

but after season 10 episode like Mel gibson's appearance and such started to happen again and again.

They are making episodes around these celebrities rather than the other way round. That moe episode plot I posted there? Was just an excuse to have simon cowell's voice in the episode.

Worse again though Simpsons have a habit of making pop-culture jokes AFTER they have been done to death by other shows. I mean Simon cowell jokes? seriously?

just as an example?Look how irritating and dated this clip has become

Sliders, when they pretty much returned to the REAL universe, only thanks to someone fixing a squeaking gate after 5 years of their absence, they immediately left to continue their 'search for home'. The hook for the audience was reduced far more than was necessary!

Mighty Boosh: Aside from milky joe; when they left the zoo.

Scrubs; when J.D. had a baby.

Worse again though Simpsons have a habit of making pop-culture jokes AFTER they have been done to death by other shows. I mean Simon cowell jokes? seriously?

Oddly, Futurama has a strange habit of sometimes unintentionally having extremely relevant jokes due to something coming back into media spotlight at a similar time to when the episode is aired.

For example, just a few weeks ago there was an episode based on Proposition 8.

The celebrities that did appear as themselves in the classic era of The Simpsons were used humorously though and were made fun off as opposed to being weirdly praised when they appear these days. Such as James Woods in Homer and Apu or even Leonard Nimoy in Marge Vs the Monorail. :)

Nowadays it is any excuse to stick someone random in the worst offender I find is in Marge Gamer when they randomly shoe in Ronaldo the Brazilian football player for no real reason, accept for them to go "OMG IT'S RONALDO, ALL STAR FOOTBALL PLAYER, ololololol"

you used to be so learned simpsons. "It's learn'd son, it's pronounced learn'd"

They constantly rewrite the history of the show these days with no care or forethought.

and it has got better since the HD switch. Season 20 was getting dull until the switch happened and re-invigorated it with life again, the jokes were actually back and dare I say it, clever.

the second half of season 20 was good. "No Loan Again, Naturally and Eeny Teeny Maya Moe were episodes are particuarly enjoyed, that's not to say it is anywhere near what it used to be since they will never get back to that, ever.

Season 21 is not as good as the end of 20 imo, with the flash of HD over a lot of the plots go back to..."lets end it in an unecessary tense situation" see Thursdays with Abie for full ridiculousness.

but The Simpsons has always been on a Steady climb since the Jockey elves which to this day gives me Nightmares. :heh:

Nothing will ever beat classic simpsons though, that is untouchable TV gold no matter how much they screw it up now.

For instance next season they may be bringing back Hank Scorpio, WHY?

The celebrities that did appear as themselves in the classic era of The Simpsons were used humorously though and were made fun off as opposed to being weirdly praised when they appear these days. Such as James Woods in Homer and Apu or even Leonard Nimoy in Marge Vs the Monorail. :)

suppose the difference is though they never based entire plots or even subplots on them in the past as far as I can tell.

U2 and chillis were in it as well for just a scene or 2 but they could have been replaced by anyone.

Edited by mcj metroid

If any show is scared of jumping the shark, all they need to do is get rid of the sharks. How? Shark Repellent obviously!

but after season 10 episode like Mel gibson's appearance and such started to happen again and again.

Did they keep bringing him back to twist his nipples?

Sliders, when they pretty much returned to the REAL universe, only thanks to someone fixing a squeaking gate after 5 years of their absence, they immediately left to continue their 'search for home'. The hook for the audience was reduced far more than was necessary!

That was pretty shit, but for me, Sliders died when the series started to be about them

stopping the race of dimensional travelling people from destroying every dimension.

For me, that was like, as if Quantum Leap suddenly turned into a show about stopping Hitler with his Quantum leaping instead of getting back home.

My god that video is amazing. I loved that show when I was a kid but I don't think I've ever seen that shark bit. So much goodness in the vid, I especially like that the shark appears to explode when it hits the water.