N-Europe

With Great Power Comes Great Douchery

Ashley

Let's all moan about our managers/supervisors/similar as its nice to let things off your chest.

Mine are all rude, lazy (or chain smoke like a chimney, either way they have a fag break every 20 minutes) and have delusions of grandeur. Actually one isn't so bad, but the rest are all shit. Often give us silly jobs at awkward times just so they feel like they have something to do. One was complaining yesterday about how stressful her job is but when she was not having a break she was just holding a clipboard ordering people where to go.

My manager at Woolworths looked like David Bowie but was female, which was always amusing (however she was also a bitch, less amusing). You look like David Bowie, but you've nothing new to show me.

So yeah, share stories/complaints about your seniors.

Edited by Ashley

I don't have any issues with my boss. Despite being incredibly financially motivated, he's a nice enough guy and is very reasonable.

I was initially terrified of him. When he arrived earlier this year he revealed himself as an ex-soldier, and seemed to be devoid of emotion. My friend told him, as an "icebreaker", that *I* had said he had OCD. Then I watched as a man whose credit card had been declined had the card thrown in his face and subsequently cast from the pub.

He's lightened up, now.

Boss at my first job was an absolute asshat. Eventually I walked out half way through a shift after he gave me a disciplinary meeting for being late. Fair enough you might think, if I was late then I should be punished. But why was I late? I worked Saturdays and Sundays, and he changed my shift to an hour earlier on Monday, without calling me to mention it. Apparently it was my fault for not calling them to check my shift, even though I had written down what was there originally as I left the previous Sunday. So basically he expected me to call them every day just to make sure they hadn't swapped my hours. He actually said at one point "its not my job to make sure you know when you're working". Erm, I'm pretty sure the definition of a manager is a person who manages, as in, organizes, their staff. Le sigh.

My boss(es) at comic shop was/are my friend(s).

My boss at Waitrose was fine.

My first boss at HBOS was an absolute legend, an incredibly nice guy who was just really nice and caring and genuine.

My second boss at HBOS was an absolute cunt, a fake, bitchy, demanding, horrible, pretend to be nice slag.

My third boss at HBOS was an absolute legend, didn't really give a shit about work or what we did (to a certain extent) (manager 121's typically lasted 10 -15 minutes, mine rarely lasted over 2) and similar to Cube took the piss out of us/didn't mind having it taken out of her.

The manageress and most of the supervisors, indeed most of the people I work with at the shop are a group of the most charming people you'll ever meet, except for one. He's 26, overweight, balding, has a bad back and his mother still tucks him in on cold nights. He's arrogant, lazy and goes about pushing around anyone he can get away with. He also loves lecturing me about not doing my job quick enough especially when I spend some it doing part of his job, reducing dated produce while still trying to serve customers and stock shelves while he spends 45 minutes doing about 10 minutes of admin in the office. I learned elsewhere that he used to get bullied horribly as a kid. Joined a few dots for me. He's not especially popular with the other supervisors either. I'd hate him more if I didn't pity him quite so much.

Edited by gaggle64

Oh good a place to rant about bosses, though my current boss is me and I'm a good boss though I don't motivate my staff (me) enough.

As for others my first two (Woolworths and Co-op) were pretty cool and generally relaxed about things, but my most recent ones have been somewhat terrible.

In my first office job I was a legal recruiter however my boss (a huge ex-rugby player and lawyer) decided my job also meant going to get him lunch, pay in his cheques, show people around his flat he was letting out, organise his relocation to Dubai, where he started up a new company in secret and disappeared.

My next job was a sales admin, I'd take orders from engineers and find them the parts/tools etc they needed, but because I was better at this job than my supervisor she decided to lie to the manager about my performance, turned the office against me and then was surprised when I just quit one day.

So my experiences in office jobs have been less than stellar.

Well my new manager is awesome. There have been several times when I've been chatting to him on the tailend of my lunch and I'll be there for another 20 minutes. Sometimes when I go to return to the shop floor he'll say something to make me return to the conversation and pretty much not do any work. It's awesome. And there's loads of respect for the guy in the shop as well, which is fantastic. There's a real team atmosphere in the GAME store I work at which does surprise me.

Obviously my old manager was a complete cunt, but that's all history and bad experience now. I sure do like getting paid for my work now though ^_^ :D

My first job I had two managers, they were lovely and verbally beat the crap out of the assistant manager when she pushed me to the front of the store for two hours doing nothing when it was -6 outside.

My boss at my second job was lovely, but such a push over that he continuously let the head chef bully him, it was a shame because some of the people at that job were nice, but I couldn't stand it otherwise.

My third job which is on and off, is my mum technically, so I can't complain, her bosses are nice enough to let me work everytime there's some work there at £8 an hour and I get free sandwiches, I'd work there permanently if there were a position.

Well, I work with an agency in a logistics warehouse..

The Agency supervisors are decent, they understand and have been through the same bull shit you have cause they had no choice in their jobs.

The logistics supervisors though.. fucking hell, I've never witnessed such backwards thinking, I'm surprised the company has even been able to fulfil orders considering their consistent bitching.

We have a target based work system, which I think is totally wrong. The target's are the same every day and if it's a busy day, they are accurate in what you should be able to hit around about. But of course, like every thing in life, there are variables to this kind of work, which the supervisors insist does not exist.

"Many people have put down on the reason board that the lifts are busy, not good enough, any more of that and we'l give you strikes." Considering you're supposed to pick at maximum about 85 an hour, which is less than a minute for each pick, when you have to wait for the lift to the next floor for 20 minutes because they thought it was a good idea to get the entire work force on the same floor, well, that's a lot of picks you've missed.

And my favourite from the other day..

You have single orders and multi orders. Single orders are all put in the same basket, whilst multi's have 25 baskets on a massive trolley. Now, because the packers were under performing due to system problems, all the multi trolleys were still with them waiting to be packed before they can be given to pickers to start new multi lists.

So me, like many people, are doing the single orders as they roll in, it's dry as fuck, but there's a bit of single work to do. I'm half way through a single, my RF Gun is logged out. I log back in, thinking it's an error on my part. Happens 3 or 4 times more over a 10 minute period. I go down to ask the logistics company supervisor if there may be some thing wrong with my gun. Instead I get the response:

"I've been waiting for you for 15 minutes, this order is more important than the one you are fulfilling"

"But I've been doing my own trolley, thinking I've been logging out by mistake, you can send messages on these things instead of logging me out"

Agency supervisor comes over to stick up for me, saying if it would happen to his gun he'd assume it was his fault unless he actually got a written message on it, which the other guy clearly didn't know how to do.

I get the list... It's a multi trolley order. There are no multi trolleys. He says I'm not allowed to finish the order I'm doing until this one he assigned is finished. I'm waiting by packing for at least half hour before I get a trolley. It wasn't even a next day delivery, I couldn't see the importance from the items I collected, but I didn't hit the targets which resulted in the threatening of a strike.

EDIT: Fucking hell that was a rant and a half..