Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Space and the Universe

Jimbob

I saw it. Was beaut :) I definitely noticed it seemed bigger and brighter - but then I'm very aware of the moon in general. Had a great crescent shape the last few weeks (aries-related?). Always gleeful when I see the moon during the day.

Random question; anyone else notice the slight redness on the left side of the moon? I figure it's something to do with the earth's shadow/the sunlight catching the atmosphere that's then projected onto the moon, but I have to say it does slightly spoil the 'full moon' every month!

(yeah I love the moon. So deep.)

But not that it was massive?

No, that bit's what I said. "Fuck me. It's massive"

Random question; anyone else notice the slight redness on the left side of the moon?

The whole moon was red the first time I saw it. It was near the horizon at the time. It was like something out of a horror movie. It went orange, then the normal white as it got higher in the sky.

Actually I read that the moon won't really look any bigger to the human eye, which is probably why I didn't notice any difference yesterday heh. Only looked nice, big and yellow when it came up, but after that it was the same as usual.

Well, it might also just be something I've always mistaken for common knowledge. My knowledge's always been pretty obscure, anyway. :heh:

I smell Dunning-Kruger effect - the idea that most other people know what you do. It's the same reason I get bemused when people don't know the capital of, say, Turkey or Ukraine.

I think I remember that from physics GCSE...

I definitely wasn't taught it. Science was one of the few lessons which;

- I actually liked

- I sat close enough to the teacher to actually hear them/couldn't draw as was in eye shot.

- Not (really) any dick heads in my class.

So if the Andromeda and Milky Way colided (well, when)...we wouldn't all explode? :p

The black hole explanation was amazing. Why don't they teach this in school? It absorbs light because the light is too slow to escape it. AMAZING.

Yeah when they do collide I'd also wonder how things would survive that. I'm not sure if it would be before or after we've been wiped out by our sun anyway... but yeah surely every planet and sun is gonna be flung all over the place!... Even if it all happens incredibly slowly, there's bound to me an insane ammount of collisions occuring!

OK, so I'd like to be able to look up into the sky years before all the gravity effects between the two galaxies starts kicking off... and just see the sky filled with twice as many stars!

The black hole part was awesome!

I also loved the part about the neutron star... the CGI video they put together for it was brilliant!

Those things are crazy... 30 revolutions per second!

I genuinely lol'd when he said if he was to jump off the top of that projection screen, by the time he hit the floor he'd be going 4million mph!! :D

Edited by Retro_Link

Yeah when they do collide I'd also wonder how things would survive that. I'm not sure if it would be before or after we've been wiped out by our sun anyway... but yeah surely every planet and sun is gonna be flung all over the place!... Even if it all happens incredibly slowly, there's bound to me an insane ammount of collisions occuring!

Actually, you'd be wrong. Even when two galaxies collide, the sheer amount of space that stars are separated by means that a collision between two stars would occur approximately once every 3 x 10^17 years, or 3 x 10^7 times the age of the universe.

When (or if) Andromeda and the Milky Way collide, there is good chance that the solar system will be swept further from the galaxy core, or even out of the the galaxy all together. This would have no adverse effect on the solar system itself. This shouldn't matter anyway, because in a billion years time the Sun will have warmed up enough to destroy all life on Earth, and Andromeda is set to collide with the Milky Way in about 4 billion years time.