Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Space and the Universe

Jimbob

They haven't found an error yet. The people at CERN are publishing the experiments for other scientists to scrutinise because they haven't worked it out. That isn't scrutinise the theory, but the experiments themselves. You're assuming that because they are publishing it then they are assuming that the results are concrete. They've measured the speeds of neutrinos before you know.

The media as a whole understand little of what really happens at CERN (I don't know much either!) but when they hear stuff like faster than light travel or time travel then they are going to sensationalise it. After all, we'd love our science fiction fantasies to come true.

I'm not assuming that at all, what I'm saying is that saying otherwise, that it has to be inaccurate, outright is narrow-minded.

I've actually considered the consequences of what faster than light travel can mean and I will be completely gob smacked if this CERN experiment proves to be correct. I never said it was impossible, I just said it was more than likely that an error had been made, based on what I know. So enough with the strawmans and calling me narrow minded. Of course, I guess I'm also narrow minded for not believing in god, UFOs or the giant spaghetti monster.

Like many people, you're confusing two meanings of the word "theory". Gravity is a "theory", so is all of science. But you would not say that the theory of gravity is a mere speculative hypothesis or conjecture that we can choose to believe. Rather it is a schema of ideas held as an explanation of a group of facts that has been backed up by experiment and evidence. Of course scientific theory can never be proved outright (just as you cannot disprove the existence of anything), but common sense says we should treat it as fact. The theory that the Earth is round and not flat is only a theory, but we treat it as fact. This may seem ridiculous but everything we regard as a fact is actually a scientific theory is some way or another.

I'd like some examples where our science has been routinely proven wrong, as you so put it. Science changes and adapts, but past results will still be true, and old theory is never discarded, but updated.

If a theory is updated, then the original theory was inaccurate, hence the update. That is classed as being proven wrong. Wrong = Inaccurate. Just because it gets updated with more observations which originally contradict or disprove something does not mean that it was right all along.

Our science is primarily based upon observation. We once thought that atoms were the smallest particle possible, but we then split that open and saw otherwise. It is in a constant state of flux. My problem is with people thinking it is absolute, when it clearly isn't. So many are treating science like a religion. If something appears that may counter what they believed, they dismiss it outright.

I'm not saying we shouldn't hold some level of caution with this, as it could be an error, but they have tested for errors repeatedly and found none, so they published to get other scientists to double check because it is such a profound discovery if accurate.

• 3 weeks later...

Turns out the neutrino thing was wrong. The gps they used to measure the departure and arrival times was moving. They didn't take it into account. Some dutch physicists measured how much they should have taken away and it was almost exactly how much they claim it is faster than light. Mystery solved :)

Turns out the neutrino thing was wrong. The gps they used to measure the departure and arrival times was moving. They didn't take it into account. Some dutch physicists measured how much they should have taken away and it was almost exactly how much they claim it is faster than light. Mystery solved :)

Well Boo to that :cry:

Well damn, Mind = Blown

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
'Monolith' Object on Mars?

Screen-shot-2012-04-12-at-9-05-45-AM-png_140007.png

http://news.yahoo.com/monolith-object-mars-could-call-214004772.html

Looks like an older style iPod nano to me

I've known about this monolith for quite a while, still surprised it's not well known stuff! There's even quite an old video of Bull Aldrin himself mentioning another monolith but on Phobos, one of the moons of Mars.

Every time I think about these fucking monoliths though, one image come to mind, a pissed off monkey.

the_dawn_of_man_2001_a_space_odyssey-400-400.jpg

I love how the article headline has a ton of speculation...but the article explains "We've known for years that it's just a big boulder...it isn't even all that straight, it just looks it due to to the resolution of the image".