N-Europe

Space and the Universe

Jimbob

Has anybody been watching the sky? Saw the best meteor I've ever seen about 10 minutes ago. Was brighter than any star and streaked across a great portion of the sky. I'm going out again after Big fat quiz of year,

It's cloudy as fuck here. I'm not happy :(

I heard on the radio earlier that there's actually a 'dark sky' park in Northern Scotland now- it's basically a special destination with markedly clear night skies without light pollution and so on where you can get your astronomy on.

Quite a cool idea I thought.

• 2 months later...

I loved the concept of the wind being able to spontaneously build a sand castle!

It actually made me feel a bit sad when he was talking about how one day the universe will inevitably die, and leave behind a vast expanse of absolutely nothing... nothing!

I mean of course I've heard this before, but somehow he managed to hit it home. Life will have come to an end!... I mean seriously... WTF!! :(

If it's any consolation, you, everyone you know, your entire lineage and probably your entire species will most likely be dead before that happens.

Unless it happens today, at 3.36pm GMT.

Also, it's probably all happened before anyway.

If it's any consolation, you, everyone you know, your entire lineage and probably your entire species will most likely be dead before that happens.
Well yes obviously, I'm not expecting to be sat on that very last cold star when it eventually burns out. :p It's just quite a humbling thought.

It actually made me feel a bit sad when he was talking about how one day the universe will inevitably die, and leave behind a vast expanse of absolutely nothing... nothing!

I mean of course I've heard this before, but somehow he managed to hit it home. Life will have come to an end!... I mean seriously... WTF!! :(

I think it helps to remember that all these people, however clever, are still only humans positioned on Earth speculating. I'd love it if a UFO appeared, an alien got out and said "Brian, you're talking absolute rubbish!"

Just to put it on everyones radar... there's gonna be a Supermoon on March 19th, which is when the Moon is at it's closest to the earth/appearing at it's biggest.

Of course some people out there are linking it with the recent run of natural disasters, but I think the people properly in the know, realise it doesn't have that much of an effect...

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/moonmars/features/supermoon.html

Edited by Retro_Link