NEurope
Mr_Odwin

Experimental thread lock

The moment's gone. Also, I hate clogging up the main page with shite.

Takes away from the stunningness of the Tori Amos thread. :p

I can imagine its a bit weird for everyone, going from the "we cant start a new thread, that will SURELY get locked" to creating a new thread for nearly everything... Thats the way it feels for me anyway.

Consider the last week May 1964 on an otherwise quiet Brighton beach...

I can imagine its a bit weird for everyone, going from the "we cant start a new thread, that will SURELY get locked" to creating a new thread for nearly everything... Thats the way it feels for me anyway.

Do it and see. Nothing ventured nothing gained. It's about time we made these goddamn mods work anyway! ;P

i'm...kind of getting used to this now. Although I would prefer the main threadds back so I don't have to trapse through the forum to find a thread relating to one particular topic.

Im trying not to make this sound childish because I dont agree with the changes but with the way things are now I think i'll end up using the forum (or at least general chat) less now. Id rather use another forum for certain things like movie/tv chat which is set out more to my liking.

As I said before I think the general chat section looks a mess now. For example, im someone who has little to no interest in music so I dont want to have to see all these different music threads on the main page while I look for any threads that I do want to read.

Once again this is just me explaining my views/dislikes on the new way things are being done. Im not trying to force you to change anything back and this isnt me saying "fix it or im leaving".

Im trying not to make this sound childish because I dont agree with the changes but with the way things are now I think i'll end up using the forum (or at least general chat) less now. Id rather use another forum for certain things like movie/tv chat which is set out more to my liking.

As I said before I think the general chat section looks a mess now. For example, im someone who has little to no interest in music so I dont want to have to see all these different music threads on the main page while I look for any threads that I do want to read.

Once again this is just me explaining my views/dislikes on the new way things are being done. Im not trying to force you to change anything back and this isnt me saying "fix it or im leaving".

It's not to everyone's tastes, and if you truly feel like that then that's up to you. I have now fairly confidently determined that the forums DID used to be like this, that they worked fine, and that they will continue to do so. Plus, this place a shitton more active now. I STILL don't see what's so hard clicking through to page 2, or even page 3.

I just dont think this was all necessary. The larger threads didnt need locking, we just needed to relax thread creation rules.

Relax them? Relax them how? There were few threads getting made because there were such large threads to take up the discussion. If you go away from the forums for a few days, trawling through 6 pages of a big thread to find posts relevant to your interests can be a pain, scrolling down summary titles over 2/3 pages is far easier to find topics you want to talk in/about, and importantly yet easily overlooked, avoid ones you don't.

Relax them as in let people make movie/tv/news etc threads without having them straight away merged into the general threads.

Anyway, ive explained how I feel so im not gonna bother anymore. I dont wanna get into an argument or anything like that, as you said its peoples tastes and unfortunately this forum isnt really to mine anymore.

It's simply a case of balance, really. Having a brand new thread for every little bit of current news is quite silly, cos there's far too much news out there, and really is that the sort of stuff which our forumbase is generally interested in? I think the news thread when it happened was a general reaction to the numerous random news stories being posted up by certain people, and then those themselves would end up way off topic. That's an issue, things ending up off topic. Why? Well, again it's because it's not what people have gone into the thread for. Coming back to my previous point of entering/avoiding threads at one's preference having seen the title.

Relax them as in let people make movie/tv/news etc threads without having them straight away merged into the general threads.

We have, for ages, been saying "make new threads for popular things" and have been ripping/making new threads ourselves (I made the TS3 thread prior to the lockdown for example) but NOBODY DID.

You could make long threads last about 7 pages or something then start new ones.

But then someone would come along and says oh that belongs in <insert general thread here> and it gets merged...

But then someone would come along and says oh that belongs in <insert general thread here> and it gets merged...

I blame the mods.

They've got a mind of their own.

That is in their penis.

That should have been removed at birth.

Yeah, the new (old?) format has grown on me. I am a fan of the new style. : peace:

Tsk, I leave you for three little weeks to go to Europe, and you turn the forum on its head! Upon seeing several dozen short threads on the first page, I thought Stuwii had gone into hypermode...

It might work. Maybe. We'll see, I guess. Personally, however, I can't say I'm immediately enthralled...

I like the idea to have an individual thread for each movie for instance but if movies, TV shows, music and what not all go into the same thread it's hard to pick out the interesting stuff.

I think sub-forum for things like movies and music would be quite convenient.

Also I miss the funny videos thread, I can understand why the others were locked, but that thread was just good for quick laughs and not meaningful discussions.

I like the amount of new threads created, even though it's a bit confusing at first. It gives you a better opportunity to choose what you want to read about, and it really has spawned new creativity and discussion. I just miss the "fundamental" threads. HWYD, FV, UIG etc. all seemed to make up some sort of framework, they were like the hub of the forums, and it feels weird not having that. Still, it's probably just a phase.

I don't know why, but I like having lots of 'blue' envelopes in Gen Chit Chat. Makes it seem fresh (and win) in multiple ways.

I think this is one of the best moves the forum has made. As it stood the forum has been very daunting to newcomers! A lot of the megathreads had become very,,,,, hmm how should I put it... cliquey.. most of the posters were mods,exmods,staff,admins and their girlfriends and there's nothing wrong with that if that's the way you wanted it :)

but now new members have the chance of discussion and so on. it's why you'd find much more new members posting on the games threads and nothing else.

good move I think. I like it

If the comic topic can be reopened then how come the anime/manga topic isnt?

I think it's odd that the comic thread was opened in general tbh. It goes against what this is trying to achieve in removing cliques - where at the moment, that's exactly what the comic thread is.