Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Best Gaming Memories?

Happenstance

What are some of your best gaming memories then?

Some of mine that I can think of:

Playing Super Mario Bros on the NES over and over and over when I was a kid.

Going around my friends house pretty much every day to have big multiplayer sessions on the Megadrive and then later the PS1 and N64. We'd play through Streets of Rage 2, Vigilante 8, Wrestlemania 2000 etc for hours.

Playing Animal Crossing for the gamecube for the first few months, id play that game everyday without fail.

Finally completing Mcdonalland on the NES last year.

Playing through Batman: Arkham Asylum and completing it on every difficulty. This may not be a big one for some people but that is very rare for me. I tend to struggle to keep interest in completing a game just once.

Playing hours of the C&C games, still one of my favourite series.

Another favourite series of mine, the Phoenix Wright games. I loved every minute of those, even if it did take me months to get around to completing them.

I will probably think of a lot more later but im more interested in reading all of yours.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finishing Ninja Gaiden- honestly the single most satisfying gaming thing I've ever done. Absolutely bastard hard.

doing the full set of 'Annual' achievements on Halo 3/ ODST. Bungie deliver a masterclass (again) in meta gaming and how to transform a simple series of challenges in to a co-op quest spanning several nights play, several media platforms and culminating in one of the funniest and most satisfying gaming sessions I've ever taken part in.

Hyrule Field

Spending my days at the age of 9 queueing at the local video rental store with all the other kids to play Mega Drive- which ever game was in the console. And when the 3ups were over... queue at the toy store next door to play Super Mario Bros on the Nes. And do it again, and again, and again driving both store owners a tad insane). Those were the days...

After a loooooong hiatus, getting hooked to Final Fantasy VII after asking "so, what's this Final Fantasy thing, how does it work and where are the other 6?", getting a bombing of "evils" and a reply... "erm... you'll just have to play it yourself". That was pretty much what brought me back to gaming and since then never stopped.

There are many others but these are the ones i treasure the most.

Completing Resident Evil remake on every difficulty mod, including Invisible. Did i mention INCLUDING INVISIBLE??!

And playing OOT for the first time of course.

Oh and playing Mystical Ninja on SNES with my best friend in high school, good times. Actually looking back nothing beats those memories. Nothing at all.

Completing Kirby's Dream Land for the first time. First game I ever completed, I think.

Also, FINALLY completing Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters, my first ever video game. That game was HARD, especially to a 7 year old. I don't even remember my age when I finally completed it, though I was still a kid.

Picking up and playing Metroid Prime Trilogy. I never played the original two, and despite buying Corruption I never got into it. I had really developed an interest in the Metroid franchise at this point, however, so when I bought and started playing Trilogy from the beginning in a holiday, I was hooked. After not having gamed properly in a long time because of school and lack of time, sitting down for the first time in ages and playing a large singleplayer adventure for hours on end was like being reborn as a gamer. Simply amazing.

Oh, and endless nights of Smash Bros. (both Melee and Brawl) with gaming buddies. Epic win.

Finding a Double Dragon machine at my local leisure centre in the 1980s and being totally and utterly blown away.

Getting quite far into Bad Dudes vs Dragonninja at my local seaside and shaking with adrenaline, totally and utterly oblivious to what was going on around me.

Playing Golden Axe with my friends on the Mega Drive.

Receiving Landstalker for Christmas and loving it more than any previous Zelda, with its "exploring an island" and "having a fairy in your backpack" vibe.

Buying the GameCube and loving the fact that in terms of graphics, controls and everything else, it was better than anything else I'd ever owned. Then playing Wind Waker and being utterly astonished that they had surpassed even the N64 Zeldas.

Being introduced to Dragon Quest with DQVIII and finding the overworld, music and general vibe heart-achingly beautiful.

Super Metroid. - Best videogame ever made.

Shenmue(s). - The one(s) that really got me into gaming. Thanks for all the memories, Dreamcast!

A Link to the past - My first zelda... need I add anything?

Shadow of the colossus - Best game of the last 10 years, imo.

Silent Hill 2 - If you've played it, you'll know exactly why.

Portal - The cake is a lie.

Also, stuff like Flower and Braid really give me the chills!

"Robots have the right to children!!" - ROB

Yes. Super Smash is everything.

I'm not really a gamer. Looking back most of my games were superhero tie-ins, a few good RPGs and fighting games.

I did love Soul Calibur 2 though. Just experiencing it. It felt like my first real game.

I'll post some more later, but one of my greatest/earlier video game moments was exploring the castle gardens and Bomb-omb Battlefield in Super Mario 64. I'd never touched a Nintendo console before, and I'd not really touched a 3D game before. It was just an amazing first-time experience.

Playing the Gamecube for the first time. It was 2002, and my friend was showing me Super Smash Bros. Melee. I was up til then a fairly ignorant child who was happy enough to still play on the original PlayStation every day on games my parents would get me. But playing SSBM seemed to change everything; there was something so magic about the whole experience. I'd been thrust into what modern gaming really felt like, and I knew I had to own this console and get involved in the rich Nintendo history Melee gave me a glimpse of.

That is the moment that I consider turned me into a gamer.

I'll post some more later, but one of my greatest/earlier video game moments was exploring the castle gardens and Bomb-omb Battlefield in Super Mario 64. I'd never touched a Nintendo console before, and I'd not really touched a 3D game before. It was just an amazing first-time experience.

Related:

First N64 game I played was Lylat Wars- Man, what an introduction! I still have very, very fond memories of that game; especially the very beginning when you can skim the lake...there was just something mind blowing about that.

Not going with one of my more obvious ones.. I can remember loving Goof Troop on the snes. The game was awesome.

But the most magic i've ever experienced from playing a game was definately the first time i played Ocarina of Time. Everything about it was brilliant.

Related:

First N64 game I played was Lylat Wars- Man, what an introduction! I still have very, very fond memories of that game; especially the very beginning when you can skim the lake...there was just something mind blowing about that.

Me too! :D First time I can really remember playing a games console. Dam it was badass. It's aged incredibly well too.

Other memories include:

Bioshock - Welcome to Rapture.

Super Mario 64 - The entire thing really, but perhaps most of all discovering snowy world no 2 aaand the slide on the big mushroom based level. Sorry for the non specifics.

Majora's Mask - The canyon and it's dungeon.

Metroid Prime 2 - The third area....electronic bit...don't know how to really describe it.

Wind Waker - Going underwater.

Pokemon Blue - Final battle, Hall Of Fame music.

Singstar - Losing by 2 (!!) points on a song to a friend.

Crackdown - Agility Orbs and reaching the top.

Wipeout HD - Reaching Zone 50 using only air brakes.

Jet Set Radio - All of it.

Resident Evil 4 - Mr Chainsaw, the minecart ride, the garden, what are you buying?...

Halo series - Multiplayer and online co-op.

Banjo Kazooie - The board game!

Oh I could go on but I'll stop there. By dam I've had some good times :P

Link's Awakening: My first Zelda game, though at the time I didn't know it was a series yet haha. But yes, I loved this game. Never got past the second dungeon (with the genie I think) as a kid, then I lost the game... and rebought the DX version and finally completed it! Loved the ending. =)

Rollercoaster Tycoon: I spent numerous hours on this game, as did my sisters. It's the game we took on our holidays to Spain with us, playing it on an old laptop. We would fight over whose turn it was haha.

I dug out this game again this week and I still love it. ^____^

Shenmue: Just an amazing game, great story, beautiful music. I would love to play it again someday, and play the second one too. But sadly, I don't own a Dreamcast heh.

Ocarina of Time: Simply plugging in the game and having the intro play. It mesmerized me. I watched it over and over. At the time, it was probably one of the most beautiful games I had seen and played.

There's many many more memories of course, but I'll limit myself haha.

Project Gotham Racing 3/4. Cat'n'Mouse online mode. I don't really like playing online but this was beautiful.

In fact, the whole series was just stunning. RIP. Forza is dumb. PGR forever.

Oh man that was awesome (although I did it in PGR2 - such an excellent series. I don't dig the more realistic racing games but PGR is just such great fun, especially in splitscreen mode.

Finishing Ninja Gaiden- honestly the single most satisfying gaming thing I've ever done. Absolutely bastard hard.

Original NES version or the Xbox one? Both are difficult but the NES one is torture to play because of how difficult it is.

Need to think properly about my best gaming memories but two of the best that stick out are:

At Schiphol (sp?) Airport in Amsterdam, there was a bunch of N64s setup and the original Smash Bros was on one of them. Some kid was hogging it and had beaten absolutely everyone else in the room and then I sit down to play him and hammer him with it being the first time I'd played the game :laughing:

Then a few years later, similar situation but in an EB Games in Florida, some little kid was hogging the Halo stand and beating everyone only for me to beat him heavily in multiplayer.

Two gaming moments which may not be in line with other people's thinking but certainly good moments in my eyes. Always good to wipe a smug grin off of someone's face :D

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!