NEurope
Retro_Link

Mario Kart 7

I love the bikes. The bikes felt more exhilerating to ride on, for some reason. Shame they're gone.

That's because they gave them similarly responsive controls as karts had in previous Mario Karts (+wheelie boost) and made the Karts handle like bricks. :heh:

I'm glad bikes are gone, not because they were bad in itself, but rather because they destroyed the balance. Glider and underwater sections however sound like great additions to the game that don't break the balance between vehicles. I'm eager to see what kind of tracks they build around this.

Mario Kart Seven for some reason reminds me of Led Zeppelin II. Or III. Or IV for that matter!

I can't decide whether I like the name or not. On the one hand, it's simple, you won't forget it and it abbreviates nicely to either MKS or MK7. On the other hand, giving it a number does give you the impression that Nintendo are churning out this game, like the Mario Party series.

When the game is in my hands, I won't care.

Dcubed, while I too don't mind a dreadful amount about the snaking being banished, I am still scarred from that course of action. Now it's one thing to cry that "I don't like snaking/unable to snake" but it's quite difficult for me to understand how a powersliding system like MKWii's can possibly be more "strategic" than DD's snaking? Like, the green&red shells were miles better in DD and it was the snaking method to counter this - while making the snake-dodge apart of your snake-boost-rhythm. You could even dodge the infamous blues if you had incredible timing :yay: What you could also do, was powerslide into a racer and 'kind of' thief their snake-boost and, at the same time, either slow them down or knock 'em off track :laughing: So I really would like to be enlightened just how the powersliding system in MKWii could potentially be more 'strategic'?

And as for numbering the series all of a sudden, I strangely don't mind it. :D It would be like, Beverage The Newby: Genesis of Orgasming Rape> Beverage The Newby: The Dawn of Rape > Beverage The Newby 3 > Beverage The Newby: Rape Revelations. Having a numbered title is just being a little different for a change. Why not?

Well I was really thinking about Mario Kart DS rather than DD (where the snaking wasn't nearly as abusable), but the new system makes it so that you really have to think about where you can get away with powersliding without sliding off the track (unlike MKDS, where you can basically powerslide at any given opportunity)

And of course, MKDS online just ignored the weight ratings anyway.

Also, you can dodge the Blue Shell in every Mario Kart since Double Dash.

Mario Kart 7 is a decent name. There is something about the number 7, like when Microsoft decided to call Windows 7... Windows 7.

Well I was really thinking about Mario Kart DS rather than DD (where the snaking wasn't nearly as abusable), but the new system makes it so that you really have to think about where you can get away with powersliding without sliding off the track (unlike MKDS, where you can basically powerslide at any given opportunity)

And of course, MKDS online just ignored the weight ratings anyway.

Also, you can dodge the Blue Shell in every Mario Kart since Double Dash.

I see your point, I see your point. :bowdown: But I still don't think that that'd make the powersliding more 'strategic' than DD's way of executing it.

And you can dodge a Bluey in Mario Kart Wii by powersliding?.. Or only when you're on a series of boosts - or entering into a ramp for a big jump? If you can avoid that blue kamikaze by powersliding then I have some unfinished business with that there game!!

Mario Kart 7 is a decent name. There is something about the number 7, like when Microsoft decided to call Windows 7... Windows 7.

LOFL :laughing:

The logo is shit. I swear Nintendo must not actually pay a graphic design team, they just get a random team member to fire up a cracked copy of Photoshop 7.0 and fuck around.

I like the logo but it looks really familiar and I can't think where I've seen it/something like it before :hmm:

That actually looks really good. The handgliding looks nicely (and subtlely) implemented. Strange how they're reusing every single sound effect from the Wii version though.

Green shells look super fast like on the SNES (thank god), coins making a very welcome return.

Also love the look of the levels, nice colour pallette and the design is quite subtle and not totally OTT like a lot of Wii and Gamecube tracks were.

Now all we need is small, simple SNES-like battle mode courses and I'll be even more excited!

Yeah looks great!

Finally, someone playing one of these demo's who can actually play the games! :p

Seems 10x Coins is the max you can collect.

Really looking forward to this. I loved the Wii version, and this seems like a great sequel to that game, only with some changes.

Now that Nintendo's handheld is capable of exactly the same graphical style we've had for the last two console games... hopefully Mario Kart WiiU will have a greater step forward in terms of graphics/design/style/content etc... I know Mario Kart isn't a series that needs it, but it would be nice to have a great looking Nintendo racer, instead of them settling for this middle of the road style we've had for Nintendo titles like Mario Kart lately.

Cool I cant wait for this game.

Here is another video

Edited by canand

I skimmed back a few pages just to be sure and I don't think this has been mentioned. Its not actually new news, but its new to me so might be to others: Retro Studios are co-developing MK7 with EAD. Whats everyones thoughts on this?

I skimmed back a few pages just to be sure and I don't think this has been mentioned. Its not actually new news, but its new to me so might be to others: Retro Studios are co-developing MK7 with EAD. Whats everyones thoughts on this?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcGrH06YzEre5ONaGff8xyGo-dLIhSdd1Ot8LU7-aWv1g1FgrKpxwxFGh76Q

Just means the game is going to be the best mario kart ever! Since whatever Retro touches becomes pure gold. :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

As far as it seems, all Retro did was co-ordinate with some of the tracks - it actually wouldn't surprise me if it was just the DKCR track.

Just means the game is going to be the best mario kart ever! Since whatever Retro touches becomes pure gold. :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Retro Studios certainly have a way with things...

As far as it seems, all Retro did was co-ordinate with some of the tracks - it actually wouldn't surprise me if it was just the DKCR track.

Oh aye, this rings a bell. Well remembered!

Hmm, my hopes were raised and then dashed in one movement.

Having Retro on board for much more than just one track would've been amazing. In fact, I wish they'd create their own racer for the 3DS.

Retro can do anything.