NEurope
Retro_Link

Mario Kart 7

Looks really good! And not a bike in sight. ;)

I agree that only characters from the extended Mario-universe should be included. No Link or Samus, please. It's Mario Kart for a reason.

It's good to see the tradition of retro-courses continued. Hazaa!

Just been given an indication of the release of this by someone who knows (I cannot reveal my sources) and it's sooner than you'd expect. It's not in a few weeks obviously but it certainly surprised me.

Just been given an indication of the release of this by someone who knows (I cannot reveal my sources) and it's sooner than you'd expect. It's not in a few weeks obviously but it certainly surprised me.

JUST TELL US DAMN IT!

lol I'd love it to be in July/August.

ooooo, exciting stuff!

I'm pegging if for September 9th then.

I suspect we shall be having a pretty packed Autumn with Nintendo on full offensive (with PSVita due for launch).

Which Mario Kart do you think had the best title screen music?

I'd say either Snes of N64. They became too samey after that.

Hmm not bad.

Track looked a little bland and basic, pretty short too. Would have liked to have seen Rambi appear somewhere, and a lava section, as those effects were so nice in DKCR... they could have used lava as the off area in the Temple room.

Not the best track, but the gameplay looks smooth, solid and quite pretty. I think this will be quite a good rendition of Mario Kart.

God that looks amazing. Can't wait for this. Really wish we knew more about it. I presume awesome features like track editors are out :( But would like them to tell us all the online, spotpass and streetpass stuff. This game is perfect to abuse all the features, just want confirmation of it all!

I thought MK Wii was a bit crap so I'm afraid I've been pretty much ignoring this; and I don't usually use the g-word, but the gliding stuff just seems gimmicky.

I'm not going to be excited by this game until I see someone actually any fucking good at all playing it. Just now it's looking like it has even less room for competitive racing than MKWii, which suffered (for me and the other hardcore players I know) due to the removal of snaking. I'm hoping the boost system isn't even more gimped this time around.

The game seems to be missing things which added a tiny bit of skill into MKWii (using wheelies on motorbikes at opportune times, timing tricks in the air to get as many boosts as possible) so I'm a bit worried it's going to feel extremely stale for anyone who's tried to become really good at the games. There doesn't seem to be much room for high level competition so far.

So, you need people to be sliding through every course to see if its good?

Snaking isn't the best way to play. I never do it and I still win 95% of the time.

Yeah yeah I've heard this before. Supposedly regularly beating snakers without snaking (which I'll assume is bullshit by default by the way, unless you can give me videos of it happening multiple times). Snaking wasn't some illegitimate tactic, it's simply being really good at using the mechanics of the game.

Anyway, why does not having it bother me? If you've played Mario Kart DS repeatedly online with high level players who were able to snake around the entire course, then when you dont have that option it does feel like you're playing a far less competitive and intense experience. I'm sorry, but that's just reality. However, the issue isn't as simple as "snaking gone = bad". It's more that there's no alternative scope for improvement. Without snaking, you reach a peak pretty quickly.

What I did want to see for new MK was more focus though on high level racing in the game and LESS of the focus they were taking in MKWii, aka the "anyone can compete with a veteran" idea...which basically involves MORE blue shells, MORE rubberbanding in singleplayer, less difficult track design (wide as hell), etc.

When the tracks have easy corners which only take a few goes to master the right drift around and the straight sections just involve driving in a straight line and hoping for a good item and hoping for the miracle that you wont get hit by 2 blue shells if you're in first, then there's just far less scope for improvement.

The thing is with Mario Kart Wii, yes it is easier for newbs to play, but the best still win. That's what I love about it, anyone can play but skill wins in the end. Maybe I'm just getting old and gaming isn't what it was to me, but I'm not as bothered as games being nails or massive any more, just want it to be fun and great gaming experiences, or like Donkey Kong Country Returns and have it fun, amazing and hard as fuck!

Honestly, for the casual crowd I think what they've done with MK is a good idea.

The same goes for the Wii.

For me, not so much and my comments relate solely to my desires as a gamer and some other people I know's desires as gamers.

I'm not an entirely selfish man, but I do believe Nintendo leans a bit too heavily to satisfying the casual gamers with new entries into most franchises now.

Anyway, you can say skill still wins in the end, but it's only slightly true. If you get blue shelled to fuck, then you can lose out of pure unluckyness in MKWii often enough, unless you're playing against people who're so shit that they're WAY behind.

One thing I do like is that it looks fast-paced in the videos. Even on 150cc, Mario Kart Wii felt really, really slow.

The blue shell needs to go back to it's Mario Kart 64 version. It isn't too powerful and it has the chance of helping the person who uses it.

One thing I do like is that it looks fast-paced in the videos. Even on 150cc, Mario Kart Wii felt really, really slow.

The blue shell needs to go back to it's Mario Kart 64 version. It isn't too powerful and it has the chance of helping the person who uses it.

Indeed, it does look quite smooth and fast, but I'd have to disagree that 150cc in Mario Kart Wii was slow-like......

Pretty excited for this game, I've never played Mario Kart on a handheld before:o

Stuff I noticed about the video.

• Looks super speedy. Really fast paced. :D
  • In a whole race I didn't see a single Blue Shell, Lightning Bolt or Pow Block... now in both the DS and Wii version you'd see at least one or two of those each a race...
  • Coins look pretty cool... though it's hard to see their effect yet.
  • The gliding and swimming doesn't look gimmiky! Which is a surprise. This track showed how both can be used strategically... plus its better than having those uncontrable canon blasts.
  • The same "You've Won" music? Really?

I get what James McGeachie is saying tbh..It's not that no 'snaking=bad', it's just that certain versions of the game don't allow the best racers to rise to the top, per se.

For me, that is why Super Mario Kart is still the best one. There's no snaking but it's SO god damn demanding and requires perfect use of the powerslide to nail a hot lap. Brilliant game.

[*]In a whole race I didn't see a single Blue Shell, Lightning Bolt or Pow Block... now in both the DS and Wii version you'd see at least one or two of those each a race...

I can't speak for the DS version, but in the Wii version this is not true.

But I see where you could've come across these crazy and bold statements:p

I agree that 'snaking' adds some depth to the game, but it's way too OTT in Mario Kart DS. People who choose not to use it generally consider it an unfair exploit, which is understandable. When I used to play the game I did use it, but it felt like a chore spamming MTs every second.

Mario Kart 64 got MTs right the first time round in my opinion. They gave a speed boost and took skill to use, but they couldn't be spammed everywhere. It was more about careful placement and knowing where was best to use them. It set the experts apart from the pros without causing a feeling of unfair division.

So, you need people to be sliding through every course to see if its good?

Snaking isn't the best way to play. I never do it and I still win 95% of the time.

I thought snaking ruined MKDS, it "seperated the men from the boys" to too great a degree; MKDS was otherwise one of, if not the best MK game.