Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Rare Rebranded

Dante

But Kameo, Viva Piñata and Nuts & Bolts are all brilliant games.

Kameo = Short, but interestingly fun

Viva Pinata = Got tedious after a few hours

Nuts and Bolts = REPETITIVE!!

Thats my opinion of them anyway

Anywho, i have to agree with Emasher. It does look like a sports logo. Personally, i've given up with Rare same as many others have. They are nothing like the Rare i grew up with. I'd rather keep playing the games that were made in the great N64 era and forget about the ones from the new-age.

But Kameo, Viva Piñata and Nuts & Bolts are all brilliant games.

I'm sure I've seen you post this exact sentence a dozen times :heh: The thing is, while you may love them, the number of people who feel the same is significantly less than it was for the likes of Goldeneye, BK and Donkey Kong.

Kameo was decent, but level design was messy and it was also nowhere near the likes of BK/Conker on the 64 in terms of quality. It was a good fun game, but by no means an unmissable title.

Viva Pinata was a wonderful and charming game, the best of the ones you have listed, but it struggled to keep my attention and was hugely flawed in many irritating ways.

Nuts and Bolts was just a huge disappointment compared to what could have been, and so obvious that it was just the Banjo Kazooie name stapled on some other game.

If asked to list 10 amazing must-have titles for the N64, most people would mention several Rare games. I doubt the same can be said for the 360.

Edited by Shorty

Message from Rare's website.

Fucking hell that was an effort to read.

Are you retarded in real life as well as the internet?

Anyway, Rare are still good.

All you fools love that dashboard and stupid avatars.

They've just been moved in a different direction by Microsoft and I'm sure we'll see a whole bunch of Natal games.

And they still have amazing talent there.

I was working on some avatars last year and the poly layout and use and maaaaaaaaaan the UV layout was awesome.

Meh, i prefered the nice gold one but ah well.

I really enjoyed nuts and bolts and Kameo was ok, they dont bring out the stellar titles like they used 2 though.

As mentioned above though because they are controlled by Microsoft and they do what they want which obviously has been aimed at the updated dashboard, avatars etc and natal. Which all like nice.

Why Microsoft have not made them do banjo 3 anyway is behond me (as i thought it would be dead cert money maker espically amongst nintendo fans who now have a 360.)

Meh, i prefered the nice gold one but ah well.

I really enjoyed nuts and bolts and Kameo was ok, they dont bring out the stellar titles like they used 2 though.

As mentioned above though because they are controlled by Microsoft and they do what they want which obviously has been aimed at the updated dashboard, avatars etc and natal. Which all like nice.

Why Microsoft have not made them do banjo 3 anyway is behond me (as i thought it would be dead cert money maker espically amongst nintendo fans who now have a 360.)

Makes me wonder as well, it would have been a sure-fire money winner. Nuts and Bolts was basically something else with Banjo characters/level elements bolted to it in an attempt to make it a Banjo game. Even though some of the original magic was there, it was never going to be.

Rare of old are gone, basically the old became Free Radical which is now no more as well (now Crytek UK).

Edited by Jimbob

I paid £7.50 for Nuts and Bolts brand new and still felt cheated.

I did enjoy the Perfect Dark remaster on XBLA....but then you know, that can't really count as new work.

Well Rare didn't even work on that! It was 4J studios that remastered Perfect Dark!! ::shrug:

• 1 month later...

Rare quite officially suck nowadays.

Even Microsoft are fed up with their stupid crap. I mean, come on! It took them FIVE fucking years to make Perfect Dark Zero.

In fact MS are so fed up with them, they're now forcing them to make strictly casual games. Because Viva Pinata is the best game they've released for a DECADE!

I used to love Rare. When I was a kid, that logo was in itself a seal of quality. I was devastated when Nintendo sold Rare.

Rare quite officially suck nowadays.

Even Microsoft are fed up with their stupid crap. I mean, come on! It took them FIVE fucking years to make Perfect Dark Zero.

In fact MS are so fed up with them, they're now forcing them to make strictly casual games. Because Viva Pinata is the best game they've released for a DECADE!

I used to love Rare. When I was a kid, that logo was in itself a seal of quality. I was devastated when Nintendo sold Rare.

Many of the staff at RARE left around the time of Starfox Adventures (IMO the first average game they released). They formed a new studio (Free Radical Design) which made the excellent Timesplitters games and then the multi-platfrom game 'Second Sight' which was actually pretty good.

They went into Administration in 2008, the real day that Rare died :weep:

Many of the staff at RARE left around the time of Starfox Adventures (IMO the first average game they released). They formed a new studio (Free Radical Design) which made the excellent Timesplitters games and then the multi-platfrom game 'Second Sight' which was actually pretty good.

They went into Administration in 2008, the real day that Rare died :weep:

It was a couple of years before Starfox that Free Radical popped up.

Plus Crytek bought up the studio.

Plus a lot of the senior staff (the actual Rarites) formed a new studio, Pumpkin something.

Just re-read my last post, wow I sounded mean.

Also, the idea that Microsoft "know" that Rare are shit and are forcing them to make casual games is just ridiculous.

By your same logic Microsoft are forcing themselves into creating the casual experience Kinect?

Also, considering that Microsoft know they suck it's weird they opened up a new studio in Birmingham for them.

They have the potential, Kameo is one of my favourite games with gen.

Microsoft just give them stupid, piss-poor casual games to make.

Fixed.. :wink: Kameo is pretty good (even if it was in development pre-Gamecube), PDZ was ok, but not terrible, VP wasn't to bad either... Can't comment on Banjo-Kazooie but I don't think they have any 'new' games lined up in the future, it's all stuff for Kinect and Avatar related bollocks...