NEurope
James McGeachie

2-3 times more powerful than Gamecube, now basically confirmed

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/673/673578p1.html

Well I'm not surprised, I don't see why a major Nintendo executive would've lied. Apparently it's like a souped up Xbox...and that's it. It's now officially ALL about the controller. I really hope it's as fun as it has to be to win now....

For those still with doubts due to the fact we don't know all the specs, like processing speed, we still know that it only has around a quarter of the RAM of the 360 and the fact developers seem to be thinking of it as "another current gen system" just does not seem like a good sign for what they think they can do with it just now.

Personally though, this doesn't really matter to me. When I saw the controller I could tell why horsepower was being downplayed. If it can give me the kind of experiences they're promising it will, then surely that's good enough.

The only thing bothering me now is that this seems like it probably renders multiplatform games on Revolution next gen impossible.

I think I can honestly say i've lost hope in Nintendo - why on God's Earth can't we have both gameplay AND GRAPHICS!?!

Heck, price isn't a problem. Xbox 360 proves that, and if people complain "Oh, I can't afford it" they have over a year to save up the dosh (taking the November 2006 US date + 14 weeks). And Nintendo can quite easily make their money back from the games and Premium Wi-Fi download costs.

Hell, my new laptop is twice as powerful as the Revolution!

I think i'm going to PS3. I'll wait until E3 before a final decision, but at the moment me getting a Revolution has a really slim chance.

Nintendo first fuck up with the HD exclusion (HAVE YOU SEEN XBOX 360 IN HD?!?), now they want to dumb the graphics down for the more financially-troubled. But tbh, ALL of my less-wealthy friends would still get a PS3, rather than Nintendo.

Nintendo really needed a super computer of a system, as well as their "innovation". Instead, it appears they've made a novelty item. Such a waste of potential...

You know you COULD argue that the controller technology is costing them a huge amount of money, hence why they're downplaying graphics technology, because really, it probably is. I mean it's obvious that it's their priority and all.

Another part of it though I think is that they've realised since their vision is going to end up with less third party support, they're going to need to put a lot more money and developing the actual games for the system, also hiring a lot more staff and opening up new studios.

Wow, my expectations we're low, I mean, I tought they were low, until I read this. A beffed up xbox? Gamecube with more 64 Mb ram? These things are insulting, I didn't expected a dual core or tri core, just a nice and simple 2.8 Ghz cpu. No wander they could make games for de revo in gamecube devkits. We can only hope for the gpu to be something amazing.

So maybe its a 1.5 ghz processor? I was thinking around 2 ghz, but still it wont make a big difference. Why do you think people buy DS instead of PSP?

Im convinced that Nintendo limited the graphic capabilites of the Rev on purpose to reduce the number of cross-platform games. They want a completely different library than the competitors and it looks like they will be getting their way.

Before everyone freaks out about it being 2 or 3 times as powerful, have a gander at this

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=0&cId=3145953

Peter Moore gives some funny commentary

Im convinced that Nintendo limited the graphic capabilites of the Rev on purpose to reduce the number of cross-platform games. They want a completely different library than the competitors and it looks like they will be getting their way.

Before everyone freaks out about it being 2 or 3 times as powerful, have a gander at this

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=0&cId=3145953

Peter Moore gives some funny commentary

Nah i believe hey are trying to launch the budget console market. Expect revolution to be cheaper than expected if these rumours turn out to be true. Cheaper than their competitors can match. It will reflect in the graphical capabilities COMPARED to sony and MS. But will be better than this gen.

Kojimas ramblings make more sense now (to me anyway), "revolution is like a steak you can eat every night where as PS3 is the steak you eat once a week" or something to the effect

DS and PSP get ports so i dont see why Revolution wont get ports

I must say, if the graphics aren't really anything near X-360 I'm kind of disappointed but I think claims like "another current gen system" are a exagerated, it must be more powerful than the original x-box, they had about three to four year time (I think) to create a processor and a graphics card and optimise it for the size of the Revo and without displaying in HD they don't need as much power.

Untill Hollywood is finished and put into dev kits, we have no idea how powerful this console will really be.

Also, this is IGN. Since when do they have incredible insider sources. They are probably just bull shitting...

There was a current article in EDGE magazine, and they expressed my thoughts perfectly;

this is basically a Gamecube MK2. I don't care about that. The fact is, making a game for this will utilize a lot of experience from making games for the GC; and seeing as the longer someone has worked on a console, the better the games.

Don't you think seeing the GC living on for an extre 5 years is worth it, especially as we are only know reaching the cream of the GC crop with Twilight Princess?

uh huh.

stop and think. gamecube + better cpu, gpu, larger storage medium.

tos used what, 3Gb, so we can have games 3 times the size of tos.

Nintendo will have taken on board comments about the GC, this console will be cool.

being 480p it doesn't need the ram of the 360, and truth be told, it will have awesome graphics. frame rate will be a constant 60fps. think re4 * 2. the revolution will reach the point where 480p has been fulfilled (graphics can't be improved) then the console after that will take on HD (at which time HDTV will have matured).

pretty cool

before a bunch of N-heads go and shoot themselves, can i just note this:

That stated, many third parties have been partially briefed by Nintendo representatives about the Revolution hardware, its overall horsepower, and the Big N's plan for the console.

i got this from here

Everything is still speculation. The way that i interpret this, is that Nintendo has simply said "aim for a game of 'this' quality". and the 3rd party groups still have no idea what the hell is going on!!!

also, none of the 3rd party groups seem to agree on what the exact number for the RAM is...

same article, this was also mentioned...

One studio we spoke to hinted at the possibility of accessing further Revolution RAM, but its comments were cryptic. "There is more RAM that you can use, but Nintendo is using that for general memory, like game saves and all sorts of other things. You could use it, but you can't rely on it." This comment seems to suggest that developers might be able to tap into Revolution's 512MBs of on-board Flash memory, but to our knowledge such a solution would be too slow to utilize in games.

there is nothing to say that this little machine that everyone is looking forward to cant be expanded. (remember the N64...)

anyway, im gonna stop my rant. there is a bloody great thunderstorm outside, and i dont want my computer to get fried... ciao!

So after a very good relationship with both IBM and ATI (to be precise the former ArtX team) and a load of money invested Nintendo gets a machine slightly better than the XBOX?

I am sure Nintendo can't compete in the HD sector of gaming but I am sure Nintendo did not give IBM millions of dollars and said: "You know what take the money for pizza and girls and don't care about the CPU!" - this is hilariously insane.

The controller is not that expensive and after all Nintendo only said they will launch at a lower price than Sony and MS. I guess 250$ are still lower but an increase of 50$ compared to the Gamecube. So I doubt that the Revolution will so underpowered ... after all Nintendo never released a inferior console so far!

I wouldn't say the 360 look 3x as good as the Xbox!

Twilight Princes looks fantastic, and apparently the Rev will be able to do 2x/3x more, so that's great!!

I'm really confused about the whole 2x/3x more powerful thing though; Wouldn't 2x/3x be INCREDIBLE??

Say if Zelda or Resi 4, were upped in terms of graphics/size/AI etc... by 2x/3x!!

Also, I have to say, I kind of want my games to still look a little like games and not like everyday life, it makes them more fun.

IMO Zelda and Resi 4/5 is probably about as Realistic as I think a game should look!

I think this generation (unlike last generation) has produced the games where if you were to (for example ) play Resi 4/5 in 20 years time, they would still look fantastically realistic!

also if you read the full thing on ign it has the paragraph:

Still, the studios we spoke with are still very intrigued by Revolution and are not ruling out the possibility of additional graphic horsepower. No developer that chatted with us had, or was willing to share, details on the console's GPU, Hollywood. One studio said: "As soon as we find out what it can do then we'll know if Revolution will just be like an Xbox or something a little more."

So no one knows, they could have a cell processor in their but if the GPU is shit then the games would look shit, everyone needs to wait for the hollywood chip before we start making judgements!

there is nothing to say that this little machine that everyone is looking forward to cant be expanded. (remember the N64...)

Before it's even out though and people are talking about expansions, that's not encouraging.

Efficiency can make up for raw specs if it is developed properly, so just wait and see. No specs are concrete, devs are using incomplete kits(cube kits), hollywood chip is not finished yet. Also IBM and ATI are not incompetent companies, they can make something impressive so lets wait to find out.

I think I can honestly say i've lost hope in Nintendo - why on God's Earth can't we have both gameplay AND GRAPHICS!?!

Heck, price isn't a problem. Xbox 360 proves that, and if people complain "Oh, I can't afford it" they have over a year to save up the dosh (taking the November 2006 US date + 14 weeks). And Nintendo can quite easily make their money back from the games and Premium Wi-Fi download costs.

Hell, my new laptop is twice as powerful as the Revolution!

I think i'm going to PS3. I'll wait until E3 before a final decision, but at the moment me getting a Revolution has a really slim chance.

Nintendo first fuck up with the HD exclusion (HAVE YOU SEEN XBOX 360 IN HD?!?), now they want to dumb the graphics down for the more financially-troubled. But tbh, ALL of my less-wealthy friends would still get a PS3, rather than Nintendo.

Nintendo really needed a super computer of a system, as well as their "innovation". Instead, it appears they've made a novelty item. Such a waste of potential...

Calm down luv, 3 times more powerful than the GC. That's 3 times Resident Evil 4 so I can't say i'm too bothered. It depends what you want from the next-gen really, graphics only help the gameplay they aren't two seperate things. The gameplay of the Revolution is going to be unique regardless, i'm not missing out on an oppurtunity to try it just because the graphics aren't CG.

Here's a possible Metroid Prime 3 picture that got released!!

1.jpg

This to me looks real enough also it DOES look 2/3* more powerfull than GC.

What you guys think of that?

source: http://www.revogaming.net

http://www.revogaming.net/html/modules/news/article.php?storyid=166#

Now Feast your eyes on that. IGN have probably got this so wrong. IBM and ATI can produce a perfectly capable machine and all this speculation is doing nothing but hurting the Revolution. I saw we wait until it is offical before we knock Nintendo. Now Im not sure if this pic is at all real but if IGN can speculate well so can I.

2-3x my ASS! :yay:

EDIT: Got there before me khan :smile:

What you guys think of that?

I don't want to sound harsh, but that is fake. Uses too many well known (and easy to use) Photoshop filters.