NEurope
James McGeachie

2-3 times more powerful than Gamecube, now basically confirmed

It's all very confusing - why would Nintendo spend $3 billion on Revolution development (they have not spent it all on the controller), all to get a reworking of the IBM CPU they received five years ago and a GPU based on the architecture by a company taken over by ATI way back in 2002? There's no way that they'll do with a 1 GHz Gekko, when they can have a dual core 1.8 GHz 65 nm notebook G4 expanded with the Gekko instruction set and freaking 2 MB L2 cache? Honestly, that should only cost a tiny fraction of the Xenon ($30 vs $140 at launch) and would be so much better. If they'd expand it with the Radeon X1600XT chip and 256 MB notebook RAM (it costs only like $10 per console), it should be truely next-gen and not pass a $200 pricepoint at all.

But now we're getting a GameCube reworking and Nintendo seems to confirm it. I just can't believe it.

Yup, that's how I feel DCK: confused.

What would give me a better idea is having someone tell me the true polygon pushing power of the PS3/360 with all effects, lighting, etc. on. Someone tell me how much polygons (w/ effects) does a game like PGR3 have. Is it 50 million or is it 100 million. From reports I've read each car had an average of 96,000 polygons. I guess we could estimate based on that since the Cube could do about 10 to 20 million. What do you guys think? Anyone here have PGR3? Anyone follow the development of that game?

What would give me a better idea is having someone tell me the true polygon pushing power of the PS3/360 with all effects, lighting, etc. on. Someone tell me how much polygons (w/ effects) does a game like PGR3 have. Is it 50 million or is it 100 million. From reports I've read each car had an average of 96,000 polygons. I guess we could estimate based on that since the Cube could do about 10 to 20 million. What do you guys think? Anyone here have PGR3? Anyone follow the development of that game?

basically, the graphical difference between 5 mill and 10 mill poly's is > 10 mill 20 mill. not in the fact that both are equal (increase of 200%) but actually looking at the difference, the difference between 5 mill and 10 mill would be more noticeable.

it makes complete sense not to go full on power.

Nintendo have a very good business plan, and it allows sony and microsoft to have a full on battle, which will most likely result in either 1 being knocked out all together, or (preferably for nintendo) both wearing each other down and weakening each other.

if 1 isn't knocked out, I would be a little surprised if nintendo weren't number one, if 1 is knocked out I imagine nintendo will be a close 2nd.

but obviously diverging out into a different area.