NEurope
James McGeachie

2-3 times more powerful than Gamecube, now basically confirmed

If they were talking about the Cube devkits, that would be such a lot of fuss about nothing :red:

Why would there be speculation about the devkit's GPU though :confused:

Edit: the fact that they use the Cube's RAM and add extra memory to it (debug memory anyone?) does make it sound like a devkit.

The George Harrison quote means nothing. A top Nintendo executive is not going to say "our games are going to look worse". Hence why he added in "I think" not to make it a total lie.

If they were talking about the Cube devkits, that would be such a lot of fuss about nothing :red:

Why would there be speculation about the devkit's GPU though :confused:

Edit: the fact that they use the Cube's RAM and add extra memory to it (debug memory anyone?) does make it sound like a devkit.

and now we have this:
GPU RV530(Hollywood)

600MHz Core Clock

1400MHz Memory Clock

128-bit Memory

12 Pipelines

Maximum 16x32MB 1.4ns GDDR3

Source: http://www.revogaming.net/html/modules/news/article.php?storyid=172

not a double flipper at all, like IGN stated...

I can't believe that, the site isn't very reliable. Anyway, it does seem that the devs were talking about the Cube devkit. The 64 MB upgrade seems like debug memory to me (I think I even read that Cube devkits had such an amount of extra memory) and the other specs are really similar to the Cube's... I don't know what to think now.

That GPU is very, very unlikely to be real, I trust the word of the major third party developers IGN contacted far more than the source of a fansite, one which would very likely jump at any chance to be able to deny the idea Revolution will be fairly underpowered.

If the Revolution has the R530... it's going to be packing alot of muscle. Believe me.

The GameCube has the same chipset a 9600XT which was the R450 (someone correct me if i'm wrong).

The R520 (the X1800 series) is a pretty damn powerful card. Expensive however. This means though that the Revolution would need a massive cooler. Not something Nintendo really want...

If the Revolution has the R530... it's going to be packing alot of muscle. Believe me.

The GameCube has the same chipset a 9600XT which was the R450 (someone correct me if i'm wrong).

The R520 (the X1800 series) is a pretty damn powerful card. Expensive however. This means though that the Revolution would need a massive cooler. Not something Nintendo really want...

not at all... that's based on the R400 design and that was Radeon 9600 and 9800... sure cube had 4 pipelines like 9600 but it was a completly diferent chip.

Flipper was done by ArtX not ATi, it's just that after the completion of the architecture design right before manufacturing started (flipper is done in NEC factories, not ATi) ATi bought ArtX and implemented that team in their own, as head designers and other key-activities, they are infact the ones who allowed to make the R300 aka 9700pro, the graphics card who stole the crown from Nvidia, but it was done later than flipper and with more resources.

flipper was done by a small company so it doesn't have programable shaders, only a workaround to them, that thanks to their talent is more powerful than those on Xbox's Geforce 3, if Nintendo wanted by the time ArtX was bought they could have asked for a implementation of the programable shaders from Radeon 8500 (R200) but that would just delay the final Dev tools and thus the launch of the console.

Flipper is a strange chip; although it has similarities with R300, R400 and R500 it features double implementations such as double alpha integers that break it completly appart from the home graphics chips, also flipper is integrated with the SPU made by Factor 5 working at 81 MHz and has acess to it's slower memory, aswell as the main RAM, it doesn't feature any cache, but it has 2+1MB os 1TSRAM embedded that increase it's core size, if they were to make a portable GC it would be a good idea to put those as external cache, to reduce the core size, instead of droping inside 3 MB of real cache (much more expensive).

*is confused by all the numbers* can you give us quick synopsis in english please?
hmmmm, sure.

600MHz Core Clock

1400MHz Memory Clock

128-bit Memory

12 Pipelines

Maximum 16x32MB 1.4ns GDDR3

these specs refer to the standard version of R530(X1600), who says 700 MHz GDDR3 (1400 MHz effective, though we don't know if revolution is going to have that advantage, but 1T-SRAM is a great choice of RAM.

r5xxcorestats2bv.jpg

dynamicprocpergpu4ox.jpg

probably as it will come out in one year it'll be much cheaper and produced at .065 nanometers (nm), as enhancements... i'd say a better memory controller, 1TSRAM works as cache and that's a big advantage over the regular RAM who has to be refreshed by cycles, it takes all the lag in the process, as the memory is always accessable by the GPU.

maybe also more texture units to compare more to a R520, lets not forget this is not a standard R530 but a RV530.

Wasn't there a paper that the ATi x1300 can do physics calculation ...

(PPU reigns supreme hehe)

I'd rather have a real ageia PPU though, graphics cards can do physics but not to the same extent, as of yet.

with these specs if it has a R530... it's more than enough to have good graphics comparable to next generation, only in 480p, lets not forget the next generation consoles output 720p and higher. revolution and xbox 360 might look the same in a regular TV, without HD.

EDIT:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2632

i dont think it would be too much of a stretch for nintendo to have their own customized version, if it were true

here is a better picture of that X1600 mobile from the article:

mobility_radeon_x1600_csp.jpg

I don't think that information is accurate - it's from a non-credible site, and one person on the site debunked the source.

Same critique applies to the IGN rumours.

As I said before, until Nintendo themselves go official on the whole thing, nothing and nobody is to be believed without discretion.

As I said before, until Nintendo themselves go official on the whole thing, nothing and nobody is to be believed without discretion.

precisely... as for the GPU... well it's a ATi GPU and certainly not one made from the ground up, it's not a flipper 2... as the guys who did it, ArtX no longer exist, either it is a chipset yet to come out, or it is a X1300, X1600 or X1800 custom with slighly diferent aproach and optimizations to reduce costs... now... probably X1800 is out of the way because it is very expensive (as you can see by Xbox 360 consoles being sold at loss), a X1600 is a good bet...

far more credible than the stupidity of IGN claiming "souped up xbox" which is ridiculous, and refering a flipper 2 without improvements; that couldn't compete with the value of a mass produced PC GPU with some custom features, that can be manufactured by ATi itself... also a X1600 is more than good enough for next gen graphics at 480p.

you would probably need 3 times the power fo the original cube to do the same in 1080p... but the same is not true when refering to 480p itself, also the CPU with double the performance in single thread is more than enough to compete head-on with Xbox 360's Xenon in single thread as I stated in this forum somewhere (with sources).

to someone who said kameo from xbox 360 was not possible... with this configuration its more than possible in 480p.

Re-reading the article i realized that it once again told us nothing new. The only information that was given is:

It will be based on RV530 line and it will be as heavily customised as flipper. So once more we actually have no real information given

Gotta agree with this.... nintendo are idiots and this will be the last home system they produce for a while...if not forever....

Gotta agree with this.... nintendo are idiots and this will be the last home system they produce for a while...if not forever....

Did you just fall on your head?

Why do people say this every generation?

thanks you must predict the future.... just read the discussion we were having here and the points/sources/information we shown/posted, power wise, before bargin in and take us to the beggining of the question, again, thanks.

as for it being the last console they make... well I find it harder to compete with microsoft head-on when they clearly can loose as much money as they want, this might be a good solution and a good console, while not being a "souped up Xbox" like IGN stupidly stated (and proven wrong, even by IGN arguments, 2 times the power of the cube in CPU more than doubles the XBOX1 CPU)

Why do people say this every generation?
because that's probably what they want...

probably they want a Microsoft or Sony console with Nintendo games, simple as that.

I've seen lots of articles this generation of guys from XBOX magazines stating nintendo was crap and should go third party... well... they were the ones who were loosing money all last generation, if I recall correcly... these coments are just more of the same.

I'm with revolution for the games and controller... that's all that really matters.

too_soon.jpg

I pity the fool!

EDIT: 3 posts from Portugal in a row \o\ /o/ :awesome:

the coment about "Revolution is a souped up Xbox" still makes me laugh, for god's sake.

Yea, the first thing that came into mind was if they lowered the speed of the gc for the rev :grin: Im pretty sure that is not the case ;)

LOL OMG i know im like the fifth person to quote this but it seems that this boy may be brain dead. if i were him i would take a good look at who profited the most from the current generation of consoles. and as long as nintendo are making a profit, they aint going anywhere.

Think b4 you open your mouth next time

Except IGN is one of the leading premium online websites on the planet - it's credible.

Except IGN is one of the leading premium online websites on the planet - it's credible.
not when they make basic errors in their reasoning...

Don't take everything you see as completly true, i'm not saying their beta development packs are not overclocked cubes with twice the power, but they are developing on-spec, of specs who aren't even finalized just like PS3 if you think a little, and the PS3 might not output those graphics... so then developers will have to cut them, it's a much better aproach to give it a certain amount of power and then upgrade it.

And you must think a Xbox 360 beats the hell out of your home computer in CPU just because it has 3,2 GHz... you're naive. 2 times the power of gekko is not a "souped up xbox" it's right there on-par with single threaded performance of Xbox 360's Xenon... and we're talking about credible right?

the R530 thing just clarifies/suggests what IGN didn't knew, that is, the GPU. And no... of course it's not a freaking Flipper 2... being a custom chip of a existing processor just makes sense, it happened to Xbox 360, and it's more cost effective...