NEurope
James McGeachie

2-3 times more powerful than Gamecube, now basically confirmed

2 - 3x more powerful sucks. It's not two-three times Resi 4 - it's Resi 4 at 60 fps with a tad more anti-aliasing. 96 MB RAM sucks badly, very badly - Nintendo need at least 256 MB RAM to give developers a proper amount to scale their games on - high res textures (the only real visible improvement we're getting next-gen) are barely possible this way. I don't understand how Iwata can make a statement such as 'you won't see the difference' if this is true.

Oh and the Metroid picture is so obviously fake, don't bother using that as proof.

Positive about this is that it might cost so little (I'm talking current DS pricepoint here) that the graphics hungered people among us have enough money to spare for a 360. Yay.

2-3 times more poweful than a Gamecube is much more powerful than many of you realise. The Xbox 360 isn't even twice as powerful as an Xbox if you ask me. And what difference will a little less RAM make. The RAM will be used for loading textures and since the textures will smaller it's not a problem. Plus there's the speed of the RAM, the latency. MB tells nothig of performance.

Hmm, let me see, IGN a major gaming site is wrong, and this revogaming is right because they show a picture that they describe as a rumour and that we know of its existance for quite some time now. :indeed:

Heres another one.

metroid36xl6bi.jpg

Didnt we come to a conclusion that thes images are fake on another thread??

2-3 times more poweful than a Gamecube is much more powerful than many of you realise. The Xbox 360 isn't even twice as powerful as an Xbox if you ask me. And what difference will a little less RAM make. The RAM will be used for loading textures and since the textures will smaller it's not a problem. Plus there's the speed of the RAM, the latency. MB tells nothig of performance.

Oh, I realise pretty well what 2-3 times means. Look, the Xbox 360 is theoretically about 20 times more powerful than the Xbox, and due to it's efficiency problems it may be only 10-12x more powerful than the Xbox. Now look at the visual improvement. It's clearly visible, but it's not big is it? The power gap between Cube and Rev is four times smaller than that - in visuals it's not an improvement at all and I wonder if we could even see it.

RAM amounts matter so much more than you say. There's a reason why modern gaming graphics cards have a minimum of 128 MB - and still need the PC's main memory - you know. Yeah, the latency and speed will matter but I'm not worried for that considering Nintendo's partnership with MoSys so they can use 1T-SRAM. Apparently you don't get the difference - the 360 and PS3 will have 4+ times as much RAM. 4 times! If developers want to port games they'd have to shrink down the texture resolution by four, but that doesn't matter, because the GPU can't take those resolutions anyway, and neither can it take the polygon count.

This is getting worrying - the controller is just fantastic, but if the graphics on other consoles are so much better, what will happen to the mass, and what will happen to 3rd party plans?

- Edit

Before I make a wrong impression - it doesn't matter much to me that it's just plain weak. It's just worrying how Nintendo seem to be so far behind te competition it gets me upset sometimes :(

Calm down luv, 3 times more powerful than the GC. That's 3 times Resident Evil 4 so I can't say i'm too bothered. It depends what you want from the next-gen really, graphics only help the gameplay they aren't to seperate things. The gameplay of the Revolution is going to be unique regardless, i'm not missing out on an oppurtunity to try it just because the graphics aren't CG.

Here's my lowdown:

- The PS3 is 35X more powerful than the PS2

- The PS3 is around 25X more powerful than the GameCube

- Therefore, the PS3 is 6X more powerful than the Revolution

So, the PS3 is 6X more powerful than the Revolution, meaning there is a bloody huge difference - especially when that's 6X minus HD advantages.

Look, Nintendo are going to lose this console war. Maybe not in Japan, where "innovation" is the key, but it surely will in Europe and America. Graphics come first, then gameplay - it's not an ideal situation, but that's how it works.

I dont no what to say to this. Its hard to have faith that Nintendo will deliver given such dissapointing news. I was being naive earlier I know that. This news has been pissing me off all day and has distracted me from my coursework. I think Nintendo need to clear this mess up. Its their fault for keeping so tight lipped and now its come back to haunt them. If they do comment on this I hope its not the bull that they usually do avoiding the subject and talking feverishly about the sucess of Nintendogs I think we all deserve a straight answer. E3 2006 is just too far away. :nono:

Maybe we are getting alittle ahead of ourself, nothing offical has came out yet so its best not to start jumping the gun and wait till nintendo make a statement.

Didnt a nintendo offical say that the revo would have about the same graphics as its competition, i think i no who im going to trust more but who would u? Nintendo or Several internet rumors?

man they must be making those see in the future crystal balls like mad! because i´m seeing way to many predictions here

Yeah, there's NDA violation here if true, but then again I seriously doubt IGN would give us a story of complete BS - especially considering they don't say exactly who told em. To be honest, I'm believing this almost 100%...

the rev looks good il probably get one along with the ps3 but at least the rev will keep me occupied till ps3 comes out

If you don't mind me saying, all ye of little faith are dipshits.

There, I said what every person capable of thinking has on their minds.

The human perception is only capable of comprehending direct comparative concepts, not mathematicaly-funded (eg, multiplicatory) ones. Ie, "better than" versus "3x better than," let alone "25x better than."

Yeah, there's NDA violation here if true, but then again I seriously doubt IGN would give us a story of complete BS - especially considering they don't say exactly who told em. To be honest, I'm believing this almost 100%...

Same, IGN are a great website and im not saying not to listen to them, im just saying dont lose faith untill nintendo release all the info.

I wish everyone would stop being in denial. The RAM is essentially CONFIRMED and even if they have a super processor and graphics card, which is hugely unlikely when they've only went with this much RAM, as I'm sure they'll want balance, there's only so much they could do with it with a quarter of the memory of other next gen systems.

I think it's a better idea for everyone to lower their expectations now for when we really do start seeing games. Metroid Prime 3's video is definitely looking like a good representation of Revolution just now.

Errr...

96 MB RAM?

Didn't it say 128 MB?

Well, I can't tell if that's good or bad graphics without any screens...

Are you guys forgetting Nintendos new singelpass technology?

*looks blankley*

I must have missed that

we've had so much good news recently:

the controller (doiy!)

the new look

all the interest from third parties

eager publishers gagging to make exclusive games!

nintendo OFFICIALLY saying that we won't be able to tell the difference

a cradle for ports plus the new controllers' unique games = huge library!

iwata stating that selling what the GC has (nearly 19million units!) would be a failure and that the rev will be a success!

i could go on...

then one negative rumour and everything else is thrown out of the window. at the minute it's all speculation, and someone on here was so right when they said that nintendo's top brass are hardly going to leak ANYTHING when third-parties aren't doing so either, and they haven't! everything we've heard that hasn't come directly form nintendo i am ignoring as speculation, rumours, gossip, all added on top of another until it's a long string of stories connected together. this, after all, makes it easy for people to say "this must be true because we heard rumblings of this from >random source< a few weeks back so it makes sense", but it's all speculation based on speculation, it doesn't make it true.

wait for nintendo. yes i SO wish they'd start to drip-feed more info, or even be a bit more forthcoming to quash these rumours, but i have faith...

Look, frankly, the whole "über-733t gRapHiX!!!"-thing doesn't bear any significance at all to me. If the Revo can dish out the same graphics the Cube can, it's fine by me. If the Revo suddenly becomes so "underpowered" it can only handle N64 visuals, that's still fine by me. As long as I can play with that controller, you won't hear me complaining - and anyone who's truly into gaming, shouldn't either.

Look, frankly, the whole "über-733t gRapHiX!!!"-thing doesn't bear any significance at all to me. If the Revo can dish out the same graphics the Cube can, it's fine by me. If the Revo suddenly becomes so "underpowered" it can only handle N64 visuals, that's still fine by me. As long as I can play with that controller, you won't hear me complaining - and anyone who's truly into gaming, shouldn't either.

lol if the revo had the same visuals ase the N64 i think i would faint. I love the N64 but not enough to buy a revo just for the controller.

Look, IGN aren't SPONG, if they say they heard from several >>MAJOR THIRD PARTY DEVELOPERS<<, then they MEAN IT. A bunch of big developers aren't going to spit out lies for the hell of it.

Please, less denial, more acceptance.

Nintendo NEVER said they wouldn't let specs be leaked, they said they'd probably never bother announcing them themselves because they didn't feel it mattered. It's obvious why they were thinking that way with what we've just found out.

Less denial, more acceptance? I'm sure you mean a more critical audience? IGN surely arent't Spong, but still, anyone can make up anything. IGN may be a self-acclaimed authority in the field, but they aren't omniscient. I'm not saying to be suspicious of every little thing you hear, but, especially when news contradicts itself, some criticism is appropriate - and this accounts towards both ends of the equation.

Look, IGN aren't SPONG, if they say they heard from several >>MAJOR THIRD PARTY DEVELOPERS<<, then they MEAN IT. A bunch of big developers aren't going to spit out lies for the hell of it.

Please, less denial, more acceptance.

Nintendo NEVER said they wouldn't let specs be leaked, they said they'd probably never bother announcing them themselves because they didn't feel it mattered. It's obvious why they were thinking that way with what we've just found out.

I dont like quoting myself, but if i have to i will

IGN are a great website and im not saying not to listen to them, im just saying dont lose faith untill nintendo release all the info.

Im just saying wait and see, maybe IGN are right, maybe not.

No one here remebering Steven Spielbergs film-technology debuting in 2007 for films, but 2006 in a games console.

Specs mean nothing.