N-Europe

2010 Fifa World Cup

canand

Very excited about the world cup, yes, but we still have an exciting end to the domestic season too with tight finishes expected in England, Spain, France, Italy and Germany.

I've been looking forward to the world cup ever since the group draw in December and I worked out the most likely second round and quarter final games, and if my predictions are correct then we're in for a very exciting round of quarter final games, the most likely outcome is:

England vs France

Argentina vs Germany

Brazil vs Netherlands

Spain vs Italy

With the semi-final's consisting of England/France vs Brazil/Netherlands & Spain/Italy vs Argentina/Germany.

I won't be going to the world cup due to lack of finances but I plan on not having a job for the entire tournemont so I can soak up every moment of it.

Haha, that's one of my favourite football moments, too. I love it. I smile/laugh every single time.

I know some of the Dutch Translation for that. It's something like "here with the ball is Frank de Boer...Frank de Boer passes the ball, its very good for Dennis Bergkamp. DENNIS BERGKAMP. DENNIS BERGKAMP! DENNIS BERGKAMP!....OARHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I get so happy when watching that clip. What a match that was, as well. By the way, the commentator is Jack Van Gelder, I think, unless my memory is mistaken.

I'll bring my Dutch skills into this and translate for you.

"I've suddenly got this feeling we're going to get into the semi-finals with this ball possession of Frank de Boer. Frank de Boer passes de ball, very well to Dennis Bergkamp.

Dennis Bergkamp, Dennis Bergkamp takes the ball! Dennis Bergkaaaaamp! Dennis Bergkaaaaamp!!! Deeennnnniiiiiissssss Bergggggggkaaaaaaaamp!!!! Deeeeeennnnniiiiiisss Beeeerggggkaaaaamp!!!! Deeeeeennnnniiiiiiiissss Beeeeeerrrggggggggkaaaaaampppp aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Frank de Boer plays the ball to Dennis Bergkamp, who takes the ball perfectly and scooooores!!! We play the semis, 20 seconds, Dennisssss Beeeeeeergkaaaaaamp 2-1!!!!

Yeah, something like that. =P

That shit is awesome. Commentary can often be more than half the reason to watch a high profile match.

Haha, do you ever watch Gilette Soccer Saturday? If you want your Kamara Fix, look there!

Haha, yes! My dad watches it, always calls me down cause he knows it makes me chuckle :heh:

That shit is awesome. Commentary can often be more than half the reason to watch a high profile match.

Unfortunately most high profile matches here are on Sky Sports which means we have to endure Andy Gray's god awful commentary. He points out the blindingly obvious as fascinating insight into the game, uses his accent to emphasis points.

One of my favourites from last night was when he used the word "awkward" 3 times in 10 seconds.

I wish we had commentators like they do in Europe who get really excited and go off their nut when people score.

I'm hoping Mokong or Platty set up a temp board like they did for the 2006 one.

I thought it was a pretty cool idea...

I was planning to do the same again this year, it worked well and helped keep Gen chit chat tidy from random world cup threads.

The old temp board from 2006 is still hidden away somewhere, was just looking at it. Trying to figure out which would be easier...set up a whole new board or delete all posts from that one (minus original threat post) and just change the teams to match this years groupings.

I'll prolly look at starting to set it up after the current domestic season ends

On the subject of commentary, I can remember in particular the Champions League final of 2005, with the most annoying ITV commentator ever. Anyone know his name? He kept saying shit like 'Oh and this story will be told around liverpudlian fire places for centuries to come...'. He somehow managed to hyperbolise the achievement of a comeback from 3-0 down.

I sometimes feel like a snob but why is everything on ITV so shit?

On the subject of commentary, I can remember in particular the Champions League final of 2005, with the most annoying ITV commentator ever. Anyone know his name? He kept saying shit like 'Oh and this story will be told around liverpudlian fire places for centuries to come...'. He somehow managed to hyperbolise the achievement of a comeback from 3-0 down.

I sometimes feel like a snob but why is everything on ITV so shit?

Lets all just thank god there will be no David Pleat.

Has to be classic Pleat.

"There's Thierry Henry, exploding like the French train that he is."

"Stoichkov is pointing at the bench with his eyes."

and my personal fav.

"Our central defenders, Doherty and Anthony Gardner, were fantastic and I told them that when they go to bed tonight they should think of each other."

Unfortunately most high profile matches here are on Sky Sports which means we have to endure Andy Gray's god awful commentary. He points out the blindingly obvious as fascinating insight into the game, uses his accent to emphasis points.

Nowhere near as bad as Motson and Lawrenson.

Haha, do you ever watch Gilette Soccer Saturday? If you want your Kamara Fix, look there!

I watch Soccer Saturday every week, well that is every week that I'm not going to see a match. It is light-years ahead of Final Score on BBC, mainly thanks to Jeff Stelling and Chris Kamara. Have you seen Dean Windass on it recently? He makes me chuckle quite a bit as well.

I'll bring my Dutch skills into this and translate for you.

"I've suddenly got this feeling we're going to get into the semi-finals with this ball possession of Frank de Boer. Frank de Boer passes de ball, very well to Dennis Bergkamp.

Dennis Bergkamp, Dennis Bergkamp takes the ball! Dennis Bergkaaaaamp! Dennis Bergkaaaaamp!!! Deeennnnniiiiiissssss Bergggggggkaaaaaaaamp!!!! Deeeeeennnnniiiiiisss Beeeerggggkaaaaamp!!!! Deeeeeennnnniiiiiiiissss Beeeeeerrrggggggggkaaaaaampppp aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Frank de Boer plays the ball to Dennis Bergkamp, who takes the ball perfectly and scooooores!!! We play the semis, 20 seconds, Dennisssss Beeeeeeergkaaaaaamp 2-1!!!!

Yeah, something like that. =P

My word. You are so hot when you talk football. ;)

Can we have an audio clip of you giving the commentary? The English AND The Dutch? Haha.

Haha, yes! My dad watches it, always calls me down cause he knows it makes me chuckle :heh:

Haha, good man. The laughter is a great reason to watch it, I find. I've got a man-crush on Kamara and Stelling.

One of my favourites from last night was when he used the word "awkward" 3 times in 10 seconds.

I wish we had commentators like they do in Europe who get really excited and go off their nut when people score.

Andy Gray gets on my nerves. Sometimes he can be insightful. But sometimes he just loves to run his own mouth off. As Happenstance says, he's nowhere near as bad as the Channel 5 Commentators, though...

I watch Soccer Saturday every week, well that is every week that I'm not going to see a match. It is light-years ahead of Final Score on BBC, mainly thanks to Jeff Stelling and Chris Kamara. Have you seen Dean Windass on it recently? He makes me chuckle quite a bit as well.

Hehe, aye. Final Score is a bit weak, I find. I also don't like the "interface" or the ways things look on Final Score. Just seems a bit cheap. Kinda half-arsed. Soccer Saturday is brilliant, and I bluddy love it when one of the pundits shouts GOOOOOAL or PENALTY! or something. They make it really exciting, because most of them are proper football people. They love the game.

Talking about commentators, I can't imagine a World Cup game without John Motson. Going to be very odd this year without him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Motson#Quotations

There's a few of his quotes.

For obvious reasons, my favourite moment has to be the commentry for the 1999 Champions League Final, with Clive Tyldesley and Ron Atkinson. So many legendary quotes from them. "And Solksjaer has won it!" I get shivers down my spine every single time I watch or even think about those final minutes.

Also, this is great!

:laughing:

For obvious reasons, my favourite moment has to be the commentry for the 1999 Champions League Final, with Clive Tyldesley and Ron Atkinson. So many legendary quotes from them. "And Solksjaer has won it!" I get shivers down my spine every single time I watch or even think about those final minutes.

That was an amazing match, made even more so from the commentary. Tyldesley did some good work on the mic that night.

My faves in that match are: Before the equaliser when he says "Can Manchester United score? They always score!" and then shortly after the equaliser he says "Name on the trophy!"

I also love before the restart after Solskjaer's winner, the camera cuts to Lothar Matthaus on the bench, looking absolutely gutted, and Tyldesley says "What is Matthaus thinking?...Well, with the greatest respect, who cares?"

That said, you can't beat Fergie's iconic statement after the final whistle:

"Football, bloody hell!"

They should put that on his gravestone.

God, Final Score is awful. I watch it occasionally when I'm at home as we don't get Sky Sports News and it's just shocking in comparison to Soccer Saturday.

That was an amazing match, made even more so from the commentary. Tyldesley did some good work on the mic that night.

My faves in that match are: Before the equaliser when he says "Can Manchester United score? They always score!" and then shortly after the equaliser he says "Name on the trophy!"

I also love before the restart after Solskjaer's winner, the camera cuts to Lothar Matthaus on the bench, looking absolutely gutted, and Tyldesley says "What is Matthaus thinking?...Well, with the greatest respect, who cares?"

That said, you can't beat Fergie's iconic statement after the final whistle:

"Football, bloody hell!"

They should put that on his gravestone.

I always liked

'OHHHHHHHHH Teddy Teddy'

Just watched it on youtube... fucking hell it still sends shivers down my spine, not only fantastic in terms of two goals in stoppage time but it really is the perfect commentary to go with it as well.

"Can Manchester United score? They always score!" will stay with me forever!

Glad to see some love for the commentary for that final. So many great moments. Giggs with the shot-SHERINGHAAAAM! Also, seeing the ball float into the box, with the Great Dane coming up for the corner. God, I remember that so vividly.

Funny enough, the commentator mentions that they'll be going into extra time, looking for a golden goal *the camera switches to Ole Gunner Solskjaer on the left, with the ball* "Unless Ole Gunner Solskjaer can conjure up something special..." Which he did, but not until right at the end. Hearing the roar go up for that second corner.

Pardew saying it like many football fans would, shame the BBC are such pussys.

Haha, aye. Although, I normally use "He mugged him there!" than the rape example.

I reckon we need Partridge.

"That was liquid football".

Hahahahaha. That's brilliant. He would make a great commentator for the world cup. ;)

Get him and Jack Van Gelder, I say.