NEurope
Dante

iPhone 4/iOS4

The next iPhone has been found.

What's new

• Front-facing video chat camera

• Improved regular back-camera (the lens is quite noticeably larger than the iPhone 3GS)

• Camera flash

• Micro-SIM instead of standard SIM (like the iPad)

• Improved display. It's unclear if it's the 960x460 display thrown around before—it certainly looks like it, with the "Connect to iTunes" screen displaying much higher resolution than on a 3GS.

• What looks to be a secondary mic for noise cancellation, at the top, next to the headphone jack

• Split buttons for volume

• Power, mute, and volume buttons are all metallic

What's changed

• The back is entirely flat, made of either glass (more likely) or shiny plastic in order for the cell signal to poke through. Tapping on the back makes a more hollow and higher pitched sound compared to tapping on the glass on the front/screen, but that could just be the orientation of components inside making for a different sound

• An aluminum border going completely around the outside

• Slightly smaller screen than the 3GS (but seemingly higher resolution)

• Everything is more squared off

• 3 grams heavier

• 16% Larger battery

• Internals components are shrunken, miniaturized and reduced to make room for the larger battery

500x_comp1.jpg

04-19-10iphoneback.jpg

500x_case1.jpg

Really clever disguise, but god damn, Apple are going to be fucking pissed.

Apparently it has been remotely disabled, so technical specifications are the most we are going to get..

yeha it's been reported stolen! Gizmodo in some trouble if that person works for them!

Edit: Also I wonder what display is it running... OLED?

Edited by AeroScap

The person doesn't work for Giz. The first pics showed up about a week ago, they looked pretty fake, then it seems to me that Giz have bought it off them and had a good look over it.

I think it looks awesome. If it's genuine, I can't wait :)

500x_iphone10.jpg

Buuut, on the other hand by the time my current contract runs out, I will have had an iPhone for 18 months and may want to try an android phone or something else. We shall see :3

Edited by Shorty

The person doesn't work for Giz. The first pics showed up about a week ago, they looked pretty fake, then it seems to me that Giz have bought it off them and had a good look over it.

I think it looks awesome. If it's genuine, I can't wait :)

500x_iphone10.jpg

Buuut, on the other hand by the time my current contract runs out, I will have had an iPhone for 18 months and may want to try an android phone or something else. We shall see :3

I'm on a pay monthy contract on my 3G literally waiting for this baby to launch! I am in the same boat as you.. android looks very VERY tempting but the apps are just too darn useful!

Just need to to tidy the edges of the phone up. No rocker for volume? hmm

(:o Aficionado already! *about 8 posts ago lol! YAR!)

My iPhone contract ends in about six months, at which point I will either cancel and wait for the new model or upgrade if it is already out. This thing looks sexy.

Hope they stay with ditching the rounded back and edges as they make new iPhones without cases super slippery in human hands.

Edited by Guy

It's estimated to be available as early as June. I'm not a big Apple fan, but can some one enlighten me to which period they usually host the event revealing new iPhone iterations?

It's estimated to be available as early as June. I'm not a big Apple fan, but can some one enlighten me to which period they usually host the event revealing new iPhone iterations?

I always thought it was July time, so late June could make sense.

I'm on a pay monthy contract on my 3G literally waiting for this baby to launch! I am in the same boat as you.. android looks very VERY tempting but the apps are just too darn useful!

Just need to to tidy the edges of the phone up. No rocker for volume? hmm

(:o Aficionado already! *about 8 posts ago lol! YAR!)

Same boat as you two too! Been on a rolling monthly contract since January waiting to see what they come up with. Getting a bit annoyed with my 3G as its just so slow!

I always thought it was July time, so late June could make sense.

They're generally announced in June, and then release a short time afterwards.

Same boat as you two too! Been on a rolling monthly contract since January waiting to see what they come up with. Getting a bit annoyed with my 3G as its just so slow!.

Me too, I can't wait for this one to come out. I bet there's loads of people in this situation waiting for the new one to come out.

Me too' date=' I can't wait for this one to come out. I bet there's loads of people in this situation waiting for the new one to come out.[/quote']

Yeah I reckon loads of people will have got the 3G when it first came out and didn't want to pay a fortune to upgrade to the 3GS to get a phone which would be out of date 6 months into the contract.

Can't wait for it to be officially announced so we can see it properly. I'm actually hoping for an overhaul of the OS in terms of the design of the menu system. It's coming up 3 years old now and looks pretty dated. The iPhone is still missing quite a few things it really should have. There's absolutely no reason that you can't view calendar events, emails, texts on the lock screen for example.

Yeah I reckon loads of people will have got the 3G when it first came out and didn't want to pay a fortune to upgrade to the 3GS to get a phone which would be out of date 6 months into the contract.

Can't wait for it to be officially announced so we can see it properly. I'm actually hoping for an overhaul of the OS in terms of the design of the menu system. It's coming up 3 years old now and looks pretty dated. The iPhone is still missing quite a few things it really should have. There's absolutely no reason that you can't view calendar events, emails, texts on the lock screen for example.

Took the words out of my mouth! Appears that there are 3 3G owners here that are looking to replace our phones lol. I want a bit more customisation around the phone like music in your library that you can set as your ringtone, rather then having to cut and trim. changing background with the weather maybe...

Saw this earlier. Looks cracking! I think I'll be quite tempted to upgrade come July, iPhones tend to hold their value pretty well so it'll tide me over until decent WP7 handsets launch.

I'd like it better if the side alluminium was one piece without any broken lines on the side and top, but apart from that, looks nice. The higer (double?) resolution screen is what I'm really looking forward to though.

I would have thought that this far out it won't a final version. I really can't see Apple launching it with random gaps in the sides.

Those gaps look like intended design elements to me, and I think they look alright! But as you say, it's still going to be revised, although with it this far along you can bet that's close to the final model, and that release is certainly going to be this year after all.

I am in the same boat as you.. android looks very VERY tempting but the apps are just too darn useful!

Since getting my HTC Hero I don't think I could survive without the apps on the Marketplace.

Anyway, I love the look of this iPhone. I personally think that a couple more buttons (search, menu, back) would be rather useful.

I would have thought that this far out it won't a final version. I really can't see Apple launching it with random gaps in the sides.

If it's launching in July then they'll have settled on the final design long before now. It takes a while to manufacture both the parts needed and the final handset in the sort of quantities that Apple will be looking to ship.

This might not be the final design, but I really doubt it'll be much different.

Those gaps look like intended design elements to me, and I think they look alright! But as you say, it's still going to be revised, although with it this far along you can bet that's close to the final model, and that release is certainly going to be this year after all.

After reading around I read on some comments which suggested the the gap on the lower half is so that you have a gap where the slide out keyboard would be pulled out - in a tray fashion -

What is even more intriguing is that from the looks of it, the back of the phone could be made from the same material as the back of the magic mouse.

Multi touch gestures on the back anyone?!

Zooming wouldnt require BOTH thumb and finger on the front... Hold the iphone; move thumber down the screen while on the back moving the index finger up... THERE's YOUR ZOOM!..... mm

edit: hence the straight edges since they need a definable end to the multitouch surface.

Edited by AeroScap

After reading around I read on some comments which suggested the the gap on the lower half is so that you have a gap where the slide out keyboard would be pulled out - in a tray fashion -

Wouldn't Gizmodo have said something by now if there was a hardware keyboard in there? :blush:

Wouldn't Gizmodo have said something by now if there was a hardware keyboard in there? :blush:

Tbh they havent done a lot of things like: shown us pictures of the internals, found out the type of display, shown ANY pictures of it running ((not fully) they at least get a "plug in to itunes" screen though))

There isn't a pull-out keyboard, the lines on the top and side, as you can see here, are for battery removal and aesthetic design, as you can see here:

233129-iphone%204g_500.jpg

And the reason they haven't shown any pictures of it booted up is because it has been remotely disabled by Apple. They could turn it on originally, but now they cannot even do that. We won't be seeing any shots of it turned on because there's no photos of it and they can't turn it on any more.

Edited by Nintendohnut
Automerged Doublepost

If it's launching in July then they'll have settled on the final design long before now. It takes a while to manufacture both the parts needed and the final handset in the sort of quantities that Apple will be looking to ship.

I totally agree, but the chances that this is the final finished version of the phone are fairly slim.

I may be totally wrong but I'm going to go with the option of the side edge being solid by release.

Apple wouldn't be stupid enough to put a hardware keyboard in there, and people really should use a bit of common sense before spouting the above. This is a company that keeps going on about multitouch and dynamic changeable inputs like on screen keyboards.

What is even more intriguing is that from the looks of it, the back of the phone could be made from the same material as the back of the magic mouse.

Multi touch gestures on the back anyone?!

Zooming wouldnt require BOTH thumb and finger on the front... Hold the iphone; move thumber down the screen while on the back moving the index finger up... THERE's YOUR ZOOM!..... mm

edit: hence the straight edges since they need a definable end to the multitouch surface.

Nah.

Fanboyism.