Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Election 2010 - Con/Lib Government

danny

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a bad coup for the Lib Dems; Deputy PM, Business Secretary, Chief Secretary of the Treasury, Education Secretary, Energy and Climate Change Secretary and Scottish Secretary. Not too keen on some of the Tory postings though. Theresa May as Home Secretary being a particular dislike of mine, can't stand that woman!

Actually, school went to Gove. Thank Christ I'm out of school and not having kids any time soon.

I'm fairly happyish with what the Lib Dems have wrangled out of this - not a lot of really big cabinet roles and some key policy compromises, but with junior Lib Dem ministers on senior Cons like limpets, a referendum on AV, Energy & Environment and Big Vince left to lay the smack down on the banks I think some good stuff could come out of this. PMQs is going to look odd for a while though.

It's sad to see the tories back in power, but at least they've got the lib dems to keep them under control and they won't be able to implement anything too nasty now. Don't agree with the cap on immigration though. It's impossible to put a number on.

Clegg's done well tbh. He's only been an MP for 5 years! Though i'm not happy that there's only going to be a referendum on AV, not a more proportional system. Surprised that the Conservatives are now open to a PR elected House of Lords.

Bit concerning that they have a bit of a homophobe as Equalities Minister though :S

It's sad to see the tories back in power, but at least they've got the lib dems to keep them under control and they won't be able to implement anything too nasty now.

The anti-Cameron bandwagon has reached Southampton then? No one seems to be able to back their statements of hate about the Tories up with any reason for it.

Conservatives are going to make public spending cuts, yes, but because they have to! Labour aren't making any cuts for another 4 years which is ridiculous because by then the deficit will have hugely increase which will need even higher cuts then.

The anti-Cameron bandwagon has reached Southampton then? No one seems to be able to back their statements of hate about the Tories up with any reason for it.

Conservatives are going to make public spending cuts, yes, but because they have to! Labour aren't making any cuts for another 4 years which is ridiculous because by then the deficit will have hugely increase which will need even higher cuts then.

Southampton is a working class Labour area, so there's a lot of Cameron hate!

Anyways, I'm in London now in a Labour held constituency (Islington) but at home I live in New Forest East, which has been Tory forever, and my MP, Julian Lewis, has done barely anything for the local area in the last 13 years, is pro-fox hunting and has compared the age of consent for gay people being 16 to sending young boys out to war. He is a slimey, nasty man and I don't understand why people vote for him.

Before this year, I knew barely anything about politics. I probably would've voted lib dems just because they weren't the 'nasty tories'. In the last year, I have studied Politics as part of my Journalism course and has made me realise that my views sit between those of Labour and the Lib Dems. I believe in the welfare state (but not dishing out benefits to those who REFUSE to have a job) and feel that in general, Labour have done a good job and I am fearful of what cuts that may happen with a Conservative Britain. I feel that Labour, in general, provide the best deal for the majority of people, ranging from the rich to the poor. Maybe they won't, it has yet to be seen, but Conservatives aren't called Conservatives for nothing, they have very traditional, upper class typical views in many cases, and i'm worried whether this country might head backwards in certain aspects with them in control.

I understand that there has to be cuts, but I think the Tories will cut too much, too soon. It is good that the Liberals have got into Government, and have seemingly managed to get into quite influential positions, but I am sceptical how much influence they will actually have in the areas I care about most, for example, electoral reform.

So the coalition is solid, they're proposing a fixed term parliament to 2015, which can only be voted down with 55% of the vote. That's 357 MPs. It means that even if the Lib Dems want out of the coalition, them and the other parties combined won't be able to pull the Tories out of power, despite having a normal majority of the Commons. it'd make it very difficult for the Conservatives to continue if that happened, but they would have effectively locked themselves into a dictatorship! Funny how David Cameron was opposed to fixed term parliaments before he actually got into power. I'm wondering whether it'll actually get through the House of Lords as it's very undemocratic.

Sorry, long post!

There definitely needs to be cuts in public spending, but the thing is, the higher ups aren't cutting in the right place!

There's far too many bottom level staff going - 3 departments in my directorate - all of which are relatively low level staff who provide a service. The higher ups seem to almost make jobs for themselves. Something really needs to be done because the NHS is corrupt as fuck. Cutting all the innocent to make way for the rich people in cushy numbers. So who is going to do the hard work?

And the cuts in public spending should not directly affect patients because that's a disgrace. I could never afford all of my care/meds by myself

I like Cameron. He really does appear to be a 'liberal conservative'. I like his message of responsibility. I think it's a very positive message.

The anti-Eaton rhetoric really does annoy me. Sweeping generalisation, is it not? I went to the oldest of the nine original public schools (older than Eaton) and I'm probably more left than a lot of people.

A lot of the other Tories, I'm not so keen on. Theresa May, for example. Obviously Cameron appointed her but when the time comes, "we the people" are going to have to make ourselves heard.

I just want to add, Theresa May is a fucking bitch.

I understand that there has to be cuts, but I think the Tories will cut too much, too soon. It is good that the Liberals have got into Government, and have seemingly managed to get into quite influential positions, but I am sceptical how much influence they will actually have in the areas I care about most, for example, electoral reform.

You do realise that the amount of cuts needed is some sort of astronomically high figure? Doesn't matter what the Tories do, we're probably fucked regardless.

You do realise that the amount of cuts needed is some sort of astronomically high figure? Doesn't matter what the Tories do, we're probably fucked regardless.

Yes, I do realise the cuts are going to be high regardless, but our economy is just starting to recover, jobs need to be created for the high number of unemployed, and while the economy is on the up, it is important to sustain it so investment keeps coming in and our country makes more money which can then be made available needed to pay off the deficit. We don't want to increase borrowing, but I think it would be a backwards step to cut too much too soon. It could be very dangerous and lead to more recession, we'll see though.

Yes, I do realise the cuts are going to be high regardless, but our economy is just starting to recover, jobs need to be created for the high number of unemployed, and while the economy is on the up, it is important to sustain it so investment keeps coming in and our country makes more money which can then be made available needed to pay off the deficit. We don't want to increase borrowing, but I think it would be a backwards step to cut too much too soon. It could be very dangerous and lead to more recession, we'll see though.

All that you say is true, although Cameron's cuts will affect the public sector and not the private sector, like Brown's NI tax jobby would have done. When it comes to things like the NHS, I'm desperate to ensure that it's kept running for all to benefit from, but in my view it's, to jump on the almost clichéd bandwagon, far too much pen-pushing and bureaucratic overcrowding and/or very poorly managed.

So I'm in favour of a push on private sector job creation, but cuts in the public sector are definitely needed, but managed carefully like you say.

All that you say is true, although Cameron's cuts will affect the public sector and not the private sector, like Brown's NI tax jobby would have done. When it comes to things like the NHS, I'm desperate to ensure that it's kept running for all to benefit from, but in my view it's, to jump on the almost clichéd bandwagon, far too much pen-pushing and bureaucratic overcrowding and/or very poorly managed.

So I'm in favour of a push on private sector job creation, but cuts in the public sector are definitely needed, but managed carefully like you say.

See, I don't think the NI increase would've been a too bad idea. We're all in this together and those who are working must make some sacrifices in order for our economy to recover. Personally, a slight increase in taxes are preferable to cuts to public spending, but as you said, I don't mind cuts in areas where it won't effect the efficiency of public services. I have a fear that Cameron will put VAT up, which doesn't just effect those who are working and can afford to pay a little more for the services, it effects everyone.

See, I don't think the NI increase would've been a too bad idea. We're all in this together and those who are working must make some sacrifices in order for our economy to recover. Personally, a slight increase in taxes are preferable to cuts to public spending, but as you said, I don't mind cuts in areas where it won't effect the efficiency of public services. I have a fear that Cameron will put VAT up, which doesn't just effect those who are working and can afford to pay a little more for the services, it effects everyone.

I see much more benefit in say increasing VAT by 2.5% than I do by increasing NI. Remember when VAT dropped to 15% - did you actually feel like you as an individual saved any considerable sum? I doubt it. However, a slight increase in this area would create a hell of a lot more revenue for the government.

Edit: Plus I'm pretty sure Labour wanted to increase the employer contributions, which effectively makes it a "tax on jobs".

Edited by Pookiablo

I see much more benefit in say increasing VAT by 2.5% than I do by increasing NI. Remember when VAT dropped to 15% - did you actually feel like you as an individual saved any considerable sum? I doubt it. However, a slight increase in this area would create a hell of a lot more revenue for the government.

Edit: Plus I'm pretty sure Labour wanted to increase the employer contributions, which effectively makes it a "tax on jobs".

I'm just scared that an increase in cost of everything may reduce spending by consumers and have an adverse effect on the economy. Working in a shop, I remember a great positivity when the cut in VAT to 15% was announced, people started spending and even if it doesn't save them that much, it does feel significant, and people will buy more because they're saving a bit on VAT. I know this is anecdotal evidence and I don't have figures to back it up, but other things which gave money back to the consumer, such as the car scrappage scheme (so popular and good for the car industry they extended it) gave people hope in this very hard time economically. If you make it hard for consumers, the economy won't keep moving.

I'm not a tax expert, so don't have a total idea of to what extent it would be a "tax on jobs" and would stop people employing people, but I feel we should deal with this deficit with a balance of fair tax rises (NI is what's meant to be spent on our welfare anyway isnt it?), cuts that won't damage public services like I fear conservative cuts may, and other sorts of help for new businesses to get them off the ground and helping the economy.

I also fear more privatisation now from the government, which could drive up consumer prices even more. I know it isn't a strictly tory idea, with labour outsourcing many things during their reign, but I fear the conservative government will reduce the size of the state too much.

(seeing ipaul thank mr-paul was confusing)

I thought as I wrote, 'This looks weird, I'm sure people confuse us anyway'. To make it even better I should be moving to Southampton at the end of September :hehe:

I like Cameron.

Try as I might, I just can't hate him. He does genuinely appear to a bit Liberal. I still distrust the tories immensely, but I feel quite optimistic about this coalition. Maybe they can set about restoring our civil liberties, the one reason I couldn't vote Labour.

Hopefully Labour will also realise how illiberal they have been and become revitalised in opposition. My core values are very much Labour, but they need to be less authoritarian to really get my support.

To clarify on the tax issue, I was just watching the news and they said the 1% increase in national insurance contributions for employees will still happen under this government, just not the increase for employers. And to pay for the planned rise of the tax-free threshold to £10,000, they probably will have to raise VAT, which can be dangerous.

Swings and roundabouts really, the same amount of tax is somehow going to end up in the system regardless of how they do it. Personally I'd rather earn more and spend more than earn less and spend less.

It's unfortunate that costs will have to be cut but thats the legacy Labour have left us with. Hopefully they will come in the right places and Cameron was very clear on wanting to cut government waste in the election debates so hopefully that is where they will come.

Just been looking through the 'manifesto' on the bbc site. It seems like a lot of decent stuff is planned.

Financially, a reduction in tax credits is a worry, but with the marriage tax break and the substantial change in tax bands it could work out well.

Child trust fund I always thought was a bit naff.

Alternative vote is a decent system.

No ID cards is great.

No benefits for those not willing to work is good.

Yeah, overall I'm happy, but may cry at finances. Or may be happy.

Just been looking through the 'manifesto' on the bbc site. It seems like a lot of decent stuff is planned.

Financially, a reduction in tax credits is a worry, but with the marriage tax break and the substantial change in tax bands it could work out well.

Child trust fund I always thought was a bit naff.

Alternative vote is a decent system.

No ID cards is great.

No benefits for those not willing to work is good.

Yeah, overall I'm happy, but may cry at finances. Or may be happy.

Any info on how they plan to separate those who can't work and those who won't work?

Any info on how they plan to separate those who can't work and those who won't work?

I imagine it'd be done on a fitness/physical test basis (just my own thoughts), e.g., if you're X in terms of fitness, you have no excuse not to work - maybe Nintendo should get in with some sort of Balance board related examination that the Job Centre could adopt, lol.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!