Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Election 2010 - Con/Lib Government

danny

I agree, although I have really been getting into this election this time around, I was rather pissed that the bbc decided to drag the news thing on for another 30 mins and so I didn't get to see Eastenders >:3. I was like ok David Cameron is PM so put eastenders on now please and carry this on the bbc news channel.

I think it was important that the people saw both Brown leaving and Cameron entering Number 10. It's a landmark event, and I'm pretty sure he's the youngest Prime Minister we've had? 6 years younger than Blair was when he got in (I think I have got that right). It's history. In a few years time, we will probably be looking back on this moment...not sure if that'll be in a good or a bad light, though. :heh:

It's a bit more than "just news."

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Youngest for almost 200 years. It's definitely the kind of event that should move Eastenders the hell out of the way - anything should though if we're being honest.

I truly do think this is the best result we could have got from this election, both parties should be able to reel in the others a little so we actually end up with a half decent set of people in charge.

I found it all rather good fun tonight, almost wish I'd popped down there after work to watch it happen in person. Right now I have a good feeling about all of this.

Youngest for almost 200 years. It's definitely the kind of event that should move Eastenders the hell out of the way - anything should though if we're being honest.

I truly do think this is the best result we could have got from this election' date=' both parties should be able to reel in the others a little so we actually end up with a half decent set of people in charge.

I found it all rather good fun tonight, almost wish I'd popped down there after work to watch it happen in person. Right now I have a good feeling about all of this.[/quote']

You surprise me, judging by your last 20 posts on this thread I thought you'd be gutted by the outcome!

Note: I'm pretty sure 90% of people complaining about Eastenders were in fact joking, see?

EDIT: Well I never, apparently I was wrong, people do actually care about Eastenders that much!

Anywho, massively let down by Clegg, as will the majority of people who tactically voted for them to keep out the conservatives. Still, it's not all bad, Labour can regroup, get themselves a more popular leader, hopefully there'll be an early election and they might have a shot of a majority.

In other news I'm rather enjoying the witty facebook groups that have popped up over the last few days..

Edited by dan-likes-trees

holy crap, if what I'm hearing is right the Tories were so desperate to get into power they dropped the inheritance tax pledge and accepted the increase in the tax threshold to £10k

Nick Clegg played a blinder there if that's true, although Deputy Pm is a pretty crappy Cabinet position

as will the majority of people who tactically voted for them to keep out the conservatives.

This is what you get for voting tactically :nono:

I'm happy with the decision personally. The Conservatives seem to be OK with the idea of compromise, which means this government might just succeed. I actually like their combined "manifesto" too, the good points of both parties without many of the bad points of either, it actually reads like it's been created in the public interest.

Unless an unfortunate "accident" was to befall Cameron.

The Deputy PM doesn't inherit any powers from the PM no matter what happens to him. If he's ill or away he assigns someone to be in charge, if he dies there's a leadership election. The position of Deputy PM is practically powerless really, it's a role that oversees others and gives advice, little else.

You surprise me, judging by your last 20 posts on this thread I thought you'd be gutted by the outcome!

A lot of my posts in here are pretty tongue in cheek, there's too much rubbish/hatred of particular things/non-listening in this thread imo.

I actually voted Lib Dem, despite being a long time tory supporter. I was chatting with my flatmate on the way to the polling station who was a little surprised by this but my basis for this was that both Conservative and Labour needed to sort out the current model of politics but neither seem willing to do it on their own. I had assumed lib dems would get a much better number of seats, put pressure on both parties to sort things out and then at the next election we'd have a lot of reform followed by a much improved Conservative government.

Actually this is much better, two parties with quite different values, and the good parts of each seem to be coming through - amazingly a decent compromise on this.

I'm happy with the decision personally. The Conservatives seem to be OK with the idea of compromise, which means this government might just succeed. I actually like their combined "manifesto" too, the good points of both parties without many of the bad points of either, it actually reads like it's been created in the public interest.

Totally agree with this, I think together this 'party' would be my chosen voting option.

When does the true PM'ing begin, so we can see these bad boys in action?

Probably as soon as all the jobs have been dished out to both the Conservatives and Lib-Dems.

I welcome this coalition and hope to see it work well for Britain.

Well at least they've fixed terms to 5 years so we have no more of this 2 and a bit terms and you're out nonsense (e.g. Tony Blair). Absurd before that elections were every 4 years but a person could only be in power for 10.

Well at least they've fixed terms to 5 years so we have no more of this 2 and a bit terms and you're out nonsense (e.g. Tony Blair). Absurd before that elections were every 4 years but a person could only be in power for 10.

A person can be in power as long they want. Maggie was PM for eleven years and would have gone on to 92 election if she hadn't have been ousted. She could have still been the PM until 1997, eighteen years!

Elections can be called at any time, but one has to be called within five years of the last one.

A person can be in power as long they want. Maggie was PM for eleven years and would have gone on to 92 election if she hadn't have been ousted. She could have still been the PM until 1997, eighteen years!

Elections can be called at any time, but one has to be called within five years of the last one.

Oh right okay, me muddled then. But wasn't Blair put out to pasture for a reason though? I'm sure I heard something about 10 years.

ok so I'm fairly happy with this coalition tbh. I am a Liberal supporter so to see them finally having some kind of influence on how the country is run suits me. Also you do have to wonder if the positions they have been given on the Cabinet will mean they are set up for a fall and will get the brunt of the publics anger when cuts etc... happen. Also is Cleggs position as deputy largely ceremonal and will he have any real influence, quite how much will Cameron be referring to him for help when making decisions or for advice? Not often I don't think.

ok so I'm fairly happy with this coalition tbh. I am a Liberal supporter so to see them finally having some kind of influence on how the country is run suits me. Also you do have to wonder if the positions they have been given on the Cabinet will mean they are set up for a fall and will get the brunt of the publics anger when cuts etc... happen. Also is Cleggs position as deputy largely ceremonal and will he have any real influence, quite how much will Cameron be referring to him for help when making decisions or for advice? Not often I don't think.

From what I understand, its not the position of deputy that would give him power, but the fact that (from what I understand), he could pull out of the coalition at any time.

Well in the press junket earlier he (Cam) seemed to suggest Clegg will look after the country when Cam is abroad.

Well in the press junket earlier he (Cam) seemed to suggest Clegg will look after the country when Cam is abroad.

Which isn't really power over the way the country is run, just to react to emergency situations ect. For example, if a plane was heading towards downtown london, and wasn't responding to any sort of communications attempts, he would most likely be the one to order it to be shot down, ect.

Which isn't really power over the way the country is run, just to react to emergency situations ect. For example, if a plane was heading towards downtown london, and wasn't responding to any sort of communications attempts, he would most likely be the one to order it to be shot down, ect.

Yeah I know...

Ha top of UK trending topics on twitter is 'Con/Dem Nation'.

Edited by Ashley

'Mr Cameron, what's your favourite joke?' 'Nick Clegg'. Ouch. Funny how some parliamentary seats can make people change their mind :p

Not a bad coup for the Lib Dems; Deputy PM, Business Secretary, Chief Secretary of the Treasury, Education Secretary, Energy and Climate Change Secretary and Scottish Secretary. Not too keen on some of the Tory postings though. Theresa May as Home Secretary being a particular dislike of mine, can't stand that woman!

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!