Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Election 2010 - Con/Lib Government

danny

I just tried reading up a bit on what this hung parliament means, but to be honest I still don't get it much. =P

Over here we just get multiple parties to form the government, seems in the UK only one party can (if and only if they have the majority of the votes)?

Also, people not being able to vote? That's kinda sad. You'd think it be better organised. Do all places still use paper ballots there (so not switched to computer yet)?

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just tried reading up a bit on what this hung parliament means, but to be honest I still don't get it much. =P

Over here we just get multiple parties to form the government, seems in the UK only one party can (if and only if they have the majority of the votes)?

Also, people not being able to vote? That's kinda sad. You'd think it be better organised. Do all places still use paper ballots there (so not switched to computer yet)?

Yeah they are paper, not even electronically counted.

They have to get a certain amount of seats, 326 to be precise, to be guaranteed to be sworn in by the Queen. If all parties get lower, then we get the hung parliament. The current leader can form a coalition with the other parties to try and get into power and get the majority. This is done by seeing if the parties can get a common ground. So it's probable that Labour and the Lib Dems will negotiate something and boom, Labour in charge despite not having the majority.

I think it's shocking that it's the current PM who gets the first chance at getting into power in the case of a hung Parliament. Surely it should be the leader of the party who got the most votes?

And yeah it's ridiculous that people were turned away from polling stations, people have a right to vote. One polling station ran out of ballot papers which is beyond belief. How this can happen is outrageous, there should be an instant enquiry into this monumental cock up.

Results in Scotland are as follows:

Labour: 41 seats (no change from 2005, although picked up the 2 seats they lost in a by-elections)

Lib Dem: 10 seats (no change)

SNP: 6 seats (no change)

Conservative: 1 seat (no change)

My home constituency is Labour yet again which is fine for me as Ann Mcguire does a decent job and is always very approachable and willing to talk to you.

Edited by Charlie

Ah, I've been voting electronically for years now already, though not all places here have it. Guess it's not without its share of problems either... though no chance of running out of paper heh. =P

Coalitions here are the only option here. It's impossible for a party to get the majority here, so there are always coalitions being formed. Then again we seem to have lots of different parties, whereas the UK only seems to have three big ones plus a few smaller others?

Clegg has pretty much just announced Liberals are jumping in to bed with Conservatives. Does this essentially mean my vote went Tory?

Hasn't he just confirmed what he's said all along - that the party with the most votes should be allowed the chance at forming a government first?

I went to bed. How come some votes aren't announced?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/election2010/results/default.stm

Some people aren't very quick counters.

Clegg has pretty much just announced Liberals are jumping in to bed with Conservatives. Does this essentially mean my vote went Tory?

Theoretically he has. But Gordon Brown gets the first chance to try a coalition, but if the Liberals want to side with Conservatives then we have a Conservative/Liberal government.

But as the Conservatives have majority seats (not the 326 to auto-win), they get a chance to form government if the Queen lets them. Have to see won't we.

This is why our system doesn't work. It's all mixed. Votes don't all count for the same amount. That's how it should be

Party Seats Gain Loss Net Votes % +/-%

Conservative 291 95 3 +92 10,213,492 36.0 +3.9

Labour 251 2 89 -87 8,307,487 29.3 -6.3

Liberal Democrat 52 8 13 -5 6,481,602 22.9 +1.0

I mean Lib Dems only got 1.9 million less votes than Labour but have so many less seats. Conservatives got 1.9 million more than Labour and only got a further 40 seats.

This is why our system doesn't work. It's all mixed. Votes don't all count for the same amount. That's how it should be

Party Seats Gain Loss Net Votes % +/-%

Conservative 291 95 3 +92 10,213,492 36.0 +3.9

Labour 251 2 89 -87 8,307,487 29.3 -6.3

Liberal Democrat 52 8 13 -5 6,481,602 22.9 +1.0

I mean Lib Dems only got 1.9 million less votes than Labour but have so many less seats. Conservatives got 1.9 million more than Labour and only got a further 40 seats.

Which is exactly why the Lib Dems are wanting to change the electoral system to a version of proportional representation so that percentage of votes = percentage of seats.

That will be one of the main things they are going for if they do indeed strike up a coalition with the Conservatives.

Labour + Lib Dem coalition = no thanks.

Labour minority = really no thanks.

Conservative minority = no thanks.

Conservative + Lib Dem coalition = yes please.

This is quite fun, although disappointing in terms of the Lib Dems. Oh well, at least they got the (safe) seat in my constituency.

I just hope lib dems are able to change the voting system.

Labour + Lib Dem coalition = no thanks.

Labour minority = really no thanks.

Conservative minority = no thanks.

Conservative + Lib Dem coalition = yes please.

This is quite fun, although disappointing in terms of the Lib Dems. Oh well, at least they got the (safe) seat in my constituency.

Why do you want them to side with Tories?

Why do you want them to side with Tories?

Partly just through being sick of Labour, but partly because I think a more balanced Tory party with the Lib Dems calling some of the shots (and hopefully pushing things like electoral reform) might be a good thing. It'll mean re-examination of policies, without anything swinging too far one way, and might end up being line with my views (right on things like education, left on public funding and immigration). Plus it's what I predicted the outcome of the election would be a few weeks ago, so it'd be nice to be proven right.

Looks like Dumfries and Galloway was taken by the torries. Good thing is there's no more st00pid Russle Brown. Bad thing is I hate the elected torrie candidate even more than Russle >__<

Nope, don't worry, D&G was held by Labour. Dumfriesshire where we are was also held by the Conservatives though. Goddamn English snooty retirees. :heh:

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!