NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

Ashley, does Mario 64 DS control with the analog stick? Can I finally play that game with decent controls? Make my dreams come true with three simple letters.

I've read that you can use the circle pad, but it still only registers the 8 directions, as if it was a d-pad.

Yes.

Although its not as quick as I would have expected. At first I presumed it was because I was Wario but even with Luigi. He was a bit quicker but still kind of sluggish (unless its because I was Wario 'disguised' as Luigi?

ONE WEEK NEARLY!

I haven't been this excited for a machine since the N64. I'm possibly even more excited than that. :)

Yaaay we got games in today! Nintendogs, Pilotwings and Street Fighter. The 3D on the games is miles better than it is on the menu, it's great. Pilotwings is very impressive, SF4 would be good if the DS didn't suffer from too small of a d-pad, and the length between the centre of the circle pad and the maximum movement area seems too small to get precise enough control.

Hmmm.. by looking @ Dyson's avatar & sig I just realized that I deeply want Scott Pilgrim the XBLA game to appear on the 3DS.

4 Player on that thing is always epic... untill the xbox freezes ofc. >_>;

But yea, no confirmation on DoA's release date yet eh?

I see the wiki changed. Not that wiki is to be trusted by heart but yeh >_<

GiantBombs - 48 Hours With 3DS

1735920-img_0226_super.jpg

Nintendo has never been known for its prowess in the online arena. Between game-specific DS friend codes and an utter lack of support for modern Wi-Fi security settings, Nintendo's previous work has been a source of much sadness and/or snarky humor over the last few years. The 3DS improves on all of this a bit, starting with one 12-digit friend code that sits at the system level and is, hopefully, the last friend code you'll ever have. Like previous incarnations, the friend codes must be swapped in both directions before you can make a match, though you can also automatically swap codes with local friends without having to enter codes.

Along with the system-level friend code comes a persistent friends list that you can pull up from the home menu. Here you get little friend cards for each person, showing their Mii, their friend code, a status message (like an Xbox Live motto), and, potentially, a pair of games. You can select your favorite game via a list of anything you've run on your 3DS... even if it isn't a game. Me? I chose the "Health and Safety Information" screen as my favorite. Safety first, right? If your friends are online, their cards will light up and the game they're currently playing shows up when they're selected. This is, of course, an option that you can disable, if you want your game choices to remain a secret. Showing that kind of presence is pretty cool. Obviously, it's something that the modern consoles have been doing for years, but it's not something I'd expect to see on a handheld. I've seen people online taking photos, messing around with their AR cards, and so on.

The home menu on the 3DS comes equipped with a bunch of stuff, though some of the items on the menus are merely placeholders for later development. There's a button for the web browser right on the main screen, but tapping it just tells you to wait for a later update. The DSiWare button does the same thing, as does the button for transferring data from an old DSi over to your 3DS. There's a notifications section which gives you some tips on how the 3DS is used and also tells you if you've had any digital contact while walking around in the real world via the 3DS StreetPass system.

Dyson, do you notice a drop in visuals when you toggle between 3D and 2D?

Dyson, do you notice a drop in visuals when you toggle between 3D and 2D?

It depends on the game. Steel Diver and Zelda I could not tell the difference, but highly detailed games like Dead or Alive, Street Fighter, Kid Icarus etc there is a bit of a dip in visuals when 3D is turned on. Dead or Alive was the most noticeable for myself both times I had a play around. But seeing as Dyson gets more hands on time with the 3DS I'd like to hear what he thinks as well.

What sort of dip? Framerate or something else? Also on SSFIV are you forced to play with that horrible camera angle in the 3D mode or can you change it?

What sort of dip? Framerate or something else? Also on SSFIV are you forced to play with that horrible camera angle in the 3D mode or can you change it?

I'm also interested what happens with the framerate when switching between 2D and 3D.

The dip in visuals is mainly the fact the models are less smooth and look more grainy(Jaggies as people mainly refer to it as). It looks impressive either way, but you can definitely tell the difference on the higher graphic quality titles.

I'm not a master at spotting the differences in frame rate, so I couldn't tell the difference in most cases. But I have read that frame rates are slower with the 3D enabled, but not to an extent where you'd notice a drastic difference. Searching up for facts relating to frame rate, it was the title I noticed the biggest difference that is referenced to: Dead or Alive. Apparently it operates at 30 frames per second in 3D mode (which is definitely impressive), but in 2D mode operates at 60 frames per second.

Secondly, Street Fighter IV 3D Edition doesn't require the over the shoulder angle when played in 3D mode. It's a different mode all together from what I've seen, read and played, you can play the game at it's original angle in 3D too which isn't all that impressive(given the angle) until you start pulling out the special attacks.

Edited by Debug Mode

OK the GameStop where I preordered my 3DS with SF4 just told me something interesting.

Added an extra offer for lauch, preorder a 3DS and get not one but 2 games for 10 euro each. I already preordered SF4 and put a tenner down on it at the time so that is already paid off... just need to add another game now. Was thinking of Samurai Warriors but the staff told me on their system it says that is not out till April... did that drop off the launch list?

So at just a tenner I have to get something else, but what?

Pilotwings didn't interest much before, espeically when I heard it only has about 2 hours of gameplay... certainly not worth full price... but for 10 euro? It's tempting...

Or would I be better going for the likely more fleshed out Lego Star Wars?

It's a launch title. I can tell you that 100% it is.

But that's a great bundle, much better than the ones here.

http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=15154

News: AR T-Shirts from Club Nintendo

Augment Reality on your chest as well as your table.

If you're a Club Nintendo member in Europe and planning to get 3DS next Friday March 25th; then you'll want to get it registered on the Club Nintendo site pretty quickly.

On top of the 750 stars that you'll get for registering the new console the first 3000 people to do so will also receive a free T-Shirt with an Augemented Reality Card design on the front. Each T-shirt is an indivisually numbered collectors item and stocks are limited to just 3000, so be sure not to miss out when you get your 3DS next week.

13.jpg

These might prove pretty tricky to get.

In the Game Informer review of SSFIV3D (9/10 btw) they state that, like DoA, 3D is rendered at 30fps turning that off gives a bump up to 60fps.

I want one of those shirts.. may have to borrow my manager's 3DS club nintendo registration card and hit it at midnight.. :D

These might prove pretty tricky to get.

I want that t-shirt. Might go to the midnight opening if my branch is doing one now.

In the Game Informer review of SSFIV3D (9/10 btw) they state that, like DoA, 3D is rendered at 30fps turning that off gives a bump up to 60fps.

Seems like a precedent is being set. Sounds very cool to me. I'd love it if this applied to future Zeldas too - you can get 60fps by sacrificing the stereoscopy.

Think if I register my 3DS now that'd be cool...?

Because even waiting for midnight next Friday I'd imagine you'd miss out due to online pre-orders usually coming a bit early.

Think if I register my 3DS now that'd be cool...?

Because even waiting for midnight next Friday I'd imagine you'd miss out due to online pre-orders usually coming a bit early.

I don't think you can usually register things until release day on Nintendo's site.

Shame to see they've not given Miis ears. How am I supposed to make Russell Tovey now???