NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

So apparently, this is the patent in dispute.

Now I'm no technological engineer but the comments I've seen people make about it and the case seem to contradict my interpretation of said patent and if correct, it makes sense why Sharp aren't involved and it's only Nintendo.

That patent is for a system that uses two cameras to identify an object in 3D space and then transmit it to a 3D enabled screen. Now we know the screen itself is Sharp made and the 3D effect is determined by the software programmers and has nothing to do with cameras.

Except the 3DS features 2 cameras on it's lid that can be used for capturing images in 3D and transmit that recording to the 3DS screen. That is where I believe the infringement comes into place. Sharp are home and free on this one because how the screens are used is entirely up to Nintendo, but by combining them with the camera technology brings it dangerously close to the patent.

Of course I could be way off but like I said, it would explain why it has nothing to do with Sharp as the 3DS screen itself is not in contention.

Possibly but perhaps Fuji licensed the idea or their method for identifying the focal point of the object in question differs enough to make them safe - which is something the patent talks about. This patent was granted in 2008 but was submitted in 2003 so it's much older than people think it is.

Scare stories, patent battles... I bet Nintendo regret ever having anything to do with 3D!

I really do wonder what percentage of 3DS owners actively use the 3D feature. They should definitely do a poll on the eShop about it with the reward of a mini game or something to ensure as many votes as possible, it's something they should probably consider before getting invested in next-gen handheld research.

I imagine more people than not use the 3D and Nintendo will definitely not use the 3D either way :)

I always use it.

I think the problem is I get too used to it, sometimes I'm surprised to see the 3D slider is on. :laughing:

I really do wonder what percentage of 3DS owners actively use the 3D feature. They should definitely do a poll on the eShop about it with the reward of a mini game or something to ensure as many votes as possible, it's something they should probably consider before getting invested in next-gen handheld research.
Yeah, I reckon they should do something like that as well.

I've definitely played with it more in 2D than 3D I reckon.

I always start playing new games in 3D, but once I've beaten them (or just after a while of playing) I'll usually play in 2D.

Saves battery life and perhaps more importantly, stops my eyes from bleeding. :laughing:

The 3D gave me a bad head so I never use it. It's weird because on the odd occasion I decide to see a film in 3D my head is fine. It must be due to the screen size. It doesn't bother me in the slightest though as I bought the machine for the games and not the gimmick.

Looking at the release schedule the 3DS has some awesome months ahead.

March: Luigis Mansion 2

Harmoknight

April: Fire Emblem

May: Donkey Kong Country Returns 3DS

June: Animal Crossing

the only time the 3d is off on my 3ds is when the game doesn't support it, aka DS or VC games

the only time the 3d is off on my 3ds is when the game doesn't support it, aka DS or VC games
GB games support 3D when running in 1:1 pixel mode. :hehe:

I never use the 3D effect. I've had my 3DS since release date, and I still haven't got used to it. I either see the image double, or I just don't see any depth in the image. I guess it has to do with the fact I have almost no depth perception.

Still love the console to death anyways, it houses so much more then just the 3D gimmick. The OS is brilliant.

For Street Fighter and some of my eShop games, I don't use. For all the rest of my retail games, oddly enough, I do find myself using it even though it really doesn't add much too them and something I quickly tend to accept to the point I don't even consider it special any more when using it. That said, because Street Fighter has more play time than every other game combined, I've spent more time with it off.

I never turn the 3D off, it a must for me and whacked up at full at all times. It's now come to a point where if there is no 3D on, the game feels strange and I can't play it, especially things like KI, MK7, SM3DL, RE:R and Pilotwings. I hope it's included in every Nintendo handheld in the future.

3D is always on for me, some of the games look bland without it, castlevania for instance. I find myself exploring the environments much more when there is a good degree of depth to them. Castlevania has these long corridors you can glance down and I'm always keeping an eye on them as I run past incase I see anything like a wandering wraith (those things are spooky as hell)

Has anyone got there order from Zavvi for 3DS XL Circle Pad Pro shipped

I always have the 3D on even though I'll admit my eyes do feel strained after use. Some games look so lacklutrse without it. have the slider just short of full as the image goes blurry to me.

In other news I tried out an xl for the first time the other day and I actually prefer the regular one I own. I feel like it's easier to hold (even given my large hands) and prefer the sharper screen that it offers.

my bro got a new 32GB sandisk yesterday. transfered all the data over to it from 4GB card but he gets a error message when he tries to load any games.

Anyone else had this problem? How do you fix this?

my bro got a new 32GB sandisk yesterday. transfered all the data over to it from 4GB card but he gets a error message when he tries to load any games.

Anyone else had this problem? How do you fix this?

Haven't had that problem before and I've transferred twice.

What's the error message/code?

Haven't had that problem before and I've transferred twice.

What's the error message/code?

'SD Card has been removed'

I can see all the files but whenenever I try and load a game this message appears.

'SD Card has been removed'

I can see all the files but whenenever I try and load a game this message appears.

MIght sound silly.... but you sure the Card in right? :heh:

@khilafah I read somwhere that the New SD Card has to be fully formatted to FAT16, normally PC's will format to FAT32. Some SD cards will not work correctly formatted on FAT32. Try again.

@khilafah I read somwhere that the New SD Card has to be fully formatted to FAT16, normally PC's will format to FAT32. Some SD cards will not work correctly formatted on FAT32. Try again.

I have done nothing to the card yet. On my lunch break I tried to run MH again. This time the game booted up and I have managed to play the game with no problem.

When I get home I’m still going to format the memory card and start again as seem way to temperamental for me to trust it not happening again.

Thanks

Light Blue 3DS unboxing.

Looks better than I thought.

...lol, reflective top screen...