Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Rage Against The Machine Xmas No. 1 2009

Joe will go on to sell a lot more albums than Rage ever have done.

Rage Against The Machine couldn't fill Wembley now. I think Joe will.

Is Louis Walsh completely retarded?! I really doubt Joe will get to a second album, never mind sell more than Rage. I also really think Rage could easily fill Wembley, even today.

Has anyone seen today's Charlie Brooker piece on the whole thing?

I love his idea for next year's "protest" song...

Anyway, while I'm happy for Rage Against the Machine to be enjoying the sales and publicity, I can't help thinking we could've organised a slightly better protest ourselves. Chances are the X Factor will try to kick back extra hard next year – perhaps by actually releasing a song with a melody in it – so it's best to start planning the resistance now.

The temptation might be to pour a lot of time and effort into creating a catchy anti-X Factor anthem, but the smartest counter-move would be to release something short, cheap and throwaway that isn't even a proper song at all. I propose a track called Simon Cowell: Shit for Ears, which consists of a couple of eight-year-olds droning the phrase "Simon Cowell, shit for ears" four times in a row in the most deliberately tuneless manner possible. It should last only about 15 seconds or so. Quick enough to register; brief enough not to outstay its welcome.

Then we release it online at the lowest price possible. What's the bare minimum you can charge and still be eligible for a chart position? It could be as little as 2p. Because the track is just recorded on to a cheap mic, and released without the assistance of any record label, 100% of the profits go to charity.

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I... just, don't understand people like Louis Walsh.

I mean, I know he signs pop acts and loves pop music.

But he can't be completely blind to other types of music and how they're more influential and sell more due to their lasting appeal.

I love how that person thinks that Joe's carreer is going to be more successful than RATM's. :laughing: If he is as successful as the X Factor winners in Denmark, he'll be forgotten in no time. Still, I don't know how popular Britain's winners become ... but it can't be much, can it?

They tend to linger. Like a bad smell.

I love how that person thinks that Joe's carreer is going to be more successful than RATM's. :laughing: If he is as successful as the X Factor winners in Denmark, he'll be forgotten in no time. Still, I don't know how popular Britain's winners become ... but it can't be much, can it?

Well a few have done well. Leona Lewis is very bankable still, and sortof the only "superstar" of the winners. Yet to see with Alexandra Burke. I have a feeling she'll be around for a while. The others all sink completely.

YOU always have novelty records at No1 for Christmas and Killing In The Name is nothing but that. Joe has nothing to worry about at all.

With all the fuss about Rage Against The Machine, people might fail to realise that Joe has still sold 450,000 records, which is phenomenal"

He will sell a million singles. I think The Climb will be one of the biggest-selling singles of next year. Besides, it's all about having a career - look at the albums chart.

ALEXANDRA BURKE, JLS and LEONA LEWIS have all come from X Factor and sold millions.

Joe will go on to sell a lot more albums than Rage ever have done. He's going to have a huge career. Missing out on No1 this week will not make a difference to his life.

Rage Against The Machine couldn't fill Wembley now. I think Joe will.

1: RATM-RATM has been in pretty much every top 100 Rock albums of all time list. Normally makes it pretty high too. They've also influenced countless other bands. Joe's career will never be as influential as Rage's.

2: Neither could a lot of bands that were big 2 decades ago. Joe won't in 2 decades either. What's his point? Plus I'd be inclinded to disagree anyway, I think they could still fill massive venues.

Walsh never said "Joe has a career, Rage don't/never did" he said "oh well, its a knock but he should go on to have a good career"...or at least that's my interpretation.

Either way, he's been off his rocker since Gately died.

He did however say that Joe would go one to sell more Albums than RATM have ever done.

Myself and a friend ducked out of work to hear the last three songs in the top 40 yesterday on the kitchen radio. Massive cheer rang out through the pub (from the two of us) when Joe started to sing at number two. Brilliant.

I... just, don't understand people like Louis Walsh.

I mean, I know he signs pop acts and loves pop music.

But he can't be completely blind to other types of music and how they're more influential and sell more due to their lasting appeal.

Louis Walsh is a complete tosser, I honestly don't know how he gets paid so much.

In case anyone wanted to listen to the announcement. It cuts out the songs though.

Zach De La Rocha: "We would like to congratulate Joe and Simon on having the number 2 single for the Christmas charts". Epic.

I am so going to the Free gig in an XFactor shirt.

I really wanna get tickets to the free gig. Don't care where it is, if the ticket is free I'll pay for a plane ticket to London if I have to. But I bet half the people that do get themselves tickets will end up being arseholes who didnt buy the song.

http://music.uk.msn.com/news/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=151448415&ocid=today

Simon Cowell was so 'genuinely impressed' with the couple who started the RATM campaign, that they offered them jobs!!! LMFAO!

I'm actually impressed by him. I know he's probably doing it mostly for publicity, but still, he could have just bitched and moaned about it like many other people in the X Factor camp. At least he seems to have gotten the message - unlike some others ... It's of course unfortunate for Joe, but that's the X Factor people's fault for getting his hopes up too high. If he really is a good musician, he should be able to get a career up and running with or without the no. 1 spot. If he's nothing more than a novelty like many other winners, he'll be forgotten just as fast.

I really wanna get tickets to the free gig. Don't care where it is, if the ticket is free I'll pay for a plane ticket to London if I have to.

I honestly think there is going to be some catch with this gig. It won't be totally free, you'll end up having to pay for something.

So, instead of being sheep and getting X Factor Stuff, the sheep went to the Rage route and succeeded.

It really isn't that fair though as many people bought multiple instances of Rage (at least from what I can tell, I know lots of people I have on my facebook bought at least 3.

The mentality behind this entire thing has made me laugh so much. "Lets not be sheep, lets all do this instead"

That's why I consider it a hollow victory. A victory nonetheless which is what most of these people care about, they fought the power and pissed on it.

Because unlike you, many people love Christmas songs and want to listen to them at Christmas time. :heh:

:yay:N-E Band Aid for Christmas number one 2010! :yay:

I think it can be done. Get us all in a recording studio, make it a bit more professional. We'd be in with a real chance.

The race for the next Christmas no. 1 is going to be an orgy of bullshit. :santa:

I really wanna get tickets to the free gig. Don't care where it is, if the ticket is free I'll pay for a plane ticket to London if I have to. But I bet half the people that do get themselves tickets will end up being arseholes who didnt buy the song.

Yeah, fuck those people who didn't buy their one single for 29p or anything! I sure hope none of the old school or loyal long term fans end up getting free tickets to their gig, what a bloody waste of a free gig. For some reason that's all I could think when I read your post. I'm indifferent and care not either way, I like what I've heard of rage but all in all, I'm not a rager

As for people who are 'big', I guess Leona Lewis and Alexandra Burke are, but they both won and dissappeared for a year. Plus they're the last two years' winners, though I find their music fairly unremarkable. Interestingly Joe implied/said pretty outright that he's going to dissappear for a year too before another song is out? Makes me wonder why they do that. Personally, I think out of all the people to sort of come out of these shows, Will Young is the best in my mind. Girls Aloud are ok, but I find them a bit generic at times as well, I do find it slightly amusing when I think the only reason Cherly Cole is on a show like X-Factor is thanks to a show like X-Factor.

Yeah, fuck those people who didn't buy their one single for 29p or anything! I sure hope none of the old school or loyal long term fans end up getting free tickets to their gig, what a bloody waste of a free gig. For some reason that's all I could think when I read your post. I'm indifferent and care not either way, I like what I've heard of rage but all in all, I'm not a rager

As for people who are 'big', I guess Leona Lewis and Alexandra Burke are, but they both won and dissappeared for a year. Plus they're the last two years' winners, though I find their music fairly unremarkable. Interestingly Joe implied/said pretty outright that he's going to dissappear for a year too before another song is out? Makes me wonder why they do that. Personally, I think out of all the people to sort of come out of these shows, Will Young is the best in my mind. Girls Aloud are ok, but I find them a bit generic at times as well, I do find it slightly amusing when I think the only reason Cherly Cole is on a show like X-Factor is thanks to a show like X-Factor.

I think they send them away for a year to "work on their album" so that its out at xmas so X-Factor have the Christmas single and album.

I do find it slightly amusing when I think the only reason Cherly Cole is on a show like X-Factor is thanks to a show like X-Factor.

I loved her "excuse" during the controversy regarding her pre-recorded performance/miming shizzle about how it's nervous performing live wah wah. They made it sound as if she hadn't performed on stage once.