N-Europe

Goatie Time! (GOTY)

Pit-Jr

Game of the decade doesnt have to be decided, it would be way too broad and you may as well just do an all time list if you wanted to.

When it is so impossible to decide GotY there is very little point.

I wish Mario fans would shut up about Galaxy. Maybe if it was more difficult and offered much more intricate platforming + open worlds then yeah.

Edited by dwarf

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Such a thing is blasphemy! You must all talk more about everything. But I can't see how you could hate MW2's multiplayer....

This reaction to Uncharted 2 is making me want to buy a PS3. In fact I almost picked up this sweet deal for a 250GB Slim with PlayTV, but I don't get a very good digital TV signal so it didn't seem worth it.

I do think its a very accomplished single player (just a bit frustratingly hard/but easy, with auto aiming. Seems strange) but too short, and I just absolutely hated the multiplayer.

Like, I cannot explain how much I hate it. You die way too quickly. I find Uncharted is a lot more about mapping out your strategy and terrain, which I find a lot more fun than "get to cover, and watch like a hawk" or whatever. And I think these are hugely valid complaints.

What I don't like about the dualshock is, besides the ergonomics factors that I can get over with, is the placement of the left analogue stick. I noticed that when I play PS2/3 I never use it, unless I'm forced to do it by the game! It just doesn't feel natural to me.

Like, I cannot explain how much I hate it. You die way too quickly. I find Uncharted is a lot more about mapping out your strategy and terrain, which I find a lot more fun than "get to cover, and watch like a hawk" or whatever. And I think these are hugely valid complaints.

You should play Battlefield games with 64 players.

Well at least now you realise that you're the one with the problem.

Not everyone else.

I think theres a lot of people that are, like me, bewildered by the accolades. Mass crowds can be wrong, in this case certainly so.

It had potential to be a great game, but the reality is that it was released amid a drought-like period where anything decent seemed like gold.

^ I dunno what makes you think your opinion is so definative. If the mass crowds are saying its a fantastic game then it most likely is!

I know I absolutely loved it! Yes it was probably too easy (there were a couple of difficult stars), but it was such a joy to play. Fair enough if it didn't excell in your eyes, people rate games differently.

Gametrailers Spike TV's GOTY Nominations:

I'm really struggling with my GOTY. There's been nothing much out on Wii this year that I'd hold in that high regard, and it's difficult because I've been getting older Wii games lately. I wouldn't give the award to the few 360 games I've played this year either.

I think 2009's been a bit of a lame year tbh.

Game of the Decade for me is probably between Resi 4 and SSBM.

Edited by Retro_Link

^ I dunno what makes you think your opinion is so definative. If the mass crowds are saying its a fantastic game then it most likely is!

I know I absolutely loved it! Yes it was probably too easy (there were a couple of difficult stars), but it was such a joy to play. Fair enough if it didn't excell in your eyes, people rate games differently.

Of course youd be right in saying all that, I guess I just feel more strongly about opposing this game than most because of the level to which I disagree with reviewers on it.

Most games of that popularity get unrealistic praise in reviews. A game isn't bad because it was liked to much. Sure, the game had flaws, but every game does.

The main arguments you made against it were:

It was two easy.

The platforming was too simple.

It was linear.

All games are easier today then they were a few generations ago.

Many highly praised games have nearly automatic platforming (uncharted for instance) The platforming in Galaxy was much more complex then something like that.

Both Modern Warfare 2, and Uncharted 2 are incredibly linear, but still fun, there's no reason a game can't still be amazing if it was linear.

BTW, I'm just pointing out a few things, I thought it was an amazing game, but I don't really care that much about the argument at hand.

Hmmm... I have yet to (extensively) play Spirit Tracks, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, LostWinds 2, Assassin's Creed 2, BlazBlue, Demon Souls, Borderlands and some others... but, for now?

Uncharted 2 or Street Fighter 4. Both are great but neither is a masterpiece.

Shadow Complex is the runner up, out of what I played so far.

Special Mention, MW2. The multiplayer, that is. Single player was a letdown.

Notorious disappointments:

Infamous. *yawn*

Killzone 2. Hm hm, very competent. Completely uninventive and stale, though. Much like MW2's single player. Good solid multiplayer.

On an unrelated note, we're going to have to start considering game of the decade soon.

Metroid Prime | Resident Evil 4 | Shadow Of The Colossus

Can't choose one. But probably SOTC.

I keep thinking about one, too. It's a big shame that I find the controller painful to hold.

Those damn Analogs ruin it!

And the triggers could use some work, too.

Great D-Pad though.

Most games of that popularity get unrealistic praise in reviews. A game isn't bad because it was liked to much. Sure, the game had flaws, but every game does.

The main arguments you made against it were:

It was two easy.

The platforming was too simple.

It was linear.

All games are easier today then they were a few generations ago.

Many highly praised games have nearly automatic platforming (uncharted for instance) The platforming in Galaxy was much more complex then something like that.

Both Modern Warfare 2, and Uncharted 2 are incredibly linear, but still fun, there's no reason a game can't still be amazing if it was linear.

BTW, I'm just pointing out a few things, I thought it was an amazing game, but I don't really care that much about the argument at hand.

There are a few problems with that though:

1) Galaxy is a platformer, so there should be more difficult platforming sections

2) Other mario games have been more open world and have forced you to use almost every ability

3) Uncharted doesnt pride itself on platforming only, its actually mostly shooting with an added element to stop it from becoming stale (which arguably didnt work that well by the end of a game)

4) Uncharted is almost an interactive action movie. I wouldnt watch a mario Galaxy film because it is nothing like one. Basically Im saying theres a reason why they made the platforming simple in Unch2

5) There are difficulty settings in MW2 & Unch2

Plus not all games have become easier. Like in point 5 it depends what difficulty you play on and if youre a completionist (playing extra challenges/unlocks for bonuses etc). Galaxy doesnt offer that.

I do think its a very accomplished single player (just a bit frustratingly hard/but easy, with auto aiming. Seems strange) but too short, and I just absolutely hated the multiplayer.

I think because MW2's multi is abit more Mario Kartish as in alot of random elements. You can spawn right behind active enemies if lucky or care packages essentially being the equivalent of powerups. You get the blue shell equivalents now and again which will please beginners. Some of my friends prefer MW1 because of this as they see it as less skill based. Also auto aim is very sticky in MW2. It messes up if an extra enemy crosses your sights. To give you an idea how strong it is.

I enjoy it alot personally. One of my best games this year perhaps my fave multi.

One big thing that COD MW2 has over other multiplayer games is sheer amount of content. There is more to do, Uncharted 2 or KZ2 in comparison have almost nothing when it comes to guns, unlocks and abilities. Its like they blew 10's of millions on multiplayer development alone. I prestiged but i think once is enough as i feel naked without all my guns.

Like, I cannot explain how much I hate it. You die way too quickly.

I feel you may have missed my post about me having a match where I killed 27 people and didn't die... in a 10 minute match.

Perhaps you... just...

Suck?

:)

I can't think about a game of the year let alone game of the decade.

Shiii...

Er...

Way too hard.

Maybe Zelda Wind Waker...?

But, from a non-personal standpoint then I guess it should be WoW?

This made me laugh:

Read the first page - funny

Clicked on the second page... virus - not so funny

Just a heads up for those reading the article, the site seems to contain some virus/exploit when loading the second page.

-----------------------------------------

Back on topic, I've already stated my Game of the Year but Game of the Decade? Metroid Prime, easily.

Edited by Ashley
Ashley - removed the link (and original post) :)