NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

The save game data being tied to the console memory is a major oversight. It makes no sense at all. To not allow one to save to external memory is just bizarre.

So it's not possible to copy it at all, what if a console fails?

Barbaric, I know. And even without a screen protector. But god damn, its nice to bring the Switch on the bus and play some lovely Zelda all the way!

jqhph5.jpg

Nice! I'm going to have to find a new coat with a suitable Switch pocket.

Edited by Space

So what's the opinion on game saves being tied to the console. That's a problem for broken hardware users before cloud saves are introduced.

Regarding the dock situation. Wonder if we really will see a revised dock. The current one is problematic and that cannot be denied.

Nintendo should get on top of the situation early before we see multiple reports of consumers telling stories of switch consoles being scratched all over the place.

But yeah the dock is cheap as hell and the price Nintendo have attached to buying extra docks is outrageous.

There literally nothing to it.

It's obvious that they've blocked save transferring in order to reduce the likelihood of successful hacking; same with blocking off the web browser to users. Wii, Wii U and 3DS were all hacked by exploiting these, so don't expect them to ever come back.

I suspect that cloud saves will be how Nintendo end up handling the situation, but that won't come in until the paid service launches.

KOvNNR.gif

Crazy! I honestly thought there would be more to it, especially given the price of a dock on its own.

I suspect that cloud saves will be how Nintendo end up handling the situation, but that won't come in until the paid service launches.

I just hope that isn't the only way to move saves. I'm not planning on paying for Nintendo's online service and I think it would be terrible if that means I couldn't move saves at all.

KOvNNR.gif

An outrageous mark up made on those. $90 for all that plastic. Hell no!!!

It's obvious that they've blocked save transferring in order to reduce the likelihood of successful hacking; same with blocking off the web browser to users. Wii, Wii U and 3DS were all hacked by exploiting these, so don't expect them to ever come back.

Better hope nothing goes wrong before then. Sux to know that if for whatever reason one needs to replace the switch all save data is lost.

And that dock really costs $90?

Well, I hope the redesign has an HDMI output.

I'm not sure what you guys were expecting to find inside the dock when taken apart?

Pretty sure this was confirmed to work out of the box right away.

I paired it with my PC and set up the button config, but it wasn't working in the Steam game (the controller lights were still acting as if they were looking to pair)... Though Im sure theres a way.

I'm not sure what you guys were expecting to find inside the dock when taken apart?

Something that doesn't look like it was put together for $5 maybe.

Nintendo must be making huge profit on every dock sold.

Do you think it offers value at $90

Its as cheap as you can get and the teardown proves that.

Probably the rest of the $90 you paid for it :P.

And that dock really costs $90?

Well, I hope the redesign has an HDMI output.

The dock was $60 on Nintendo's official US store. Where is this $90 figure coming from?

Probably the rest of the $90 you paid for it :P.

This had me laughing out loud. Well done. :laughing:

The $90 price does include an HDMI cable and AC adapter, though, right? (Not that it isn't still very overpriced...)

https://www.nintendo.com/switch/buy-now/

These prices were reported not long after the January event.

Weird, I was on the site this weekend and it was only $60. Gone now though.

Copied this page from my browser history: https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/po/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp?categoryNav=true&navAction=jump&navCount=2&atg.multisite.remap=false&productId=prod840594&categoryId=cat831380

Guess I was on the replacement parts page for some reason.... :grin:

Edited by Nicktendo

Do you think it offers value at $90

Its as cheap as you can get and the teardown proves that.

I managed to get my hands on a Switch/Dock briefly at my mates as I said - and even from just handling that dock I could tell there really wasn't much in it - wouldn't expect them for more than $20-30 really.

I hope/think they'll drop the price hard later on; assuming they aren't currently redesigning it somehow given the pull from shopfront. Wouldn't be surprised if they're worried about hackers making unofficial docks etc.

Edited by Rummy

I managed to get my hands on a Switch/Dock briefly at my mates as I said - and even from just handling that dock I could tell there really wasn't much in it - wouldn't expect them for more than $20-30 really.

I hope/think they'll drop the price hard later on; assuming they aren't currently redesigning it somehow giving the pull. Wouldn't be surprised if they're worried about hackers making unofficial docks etc.

It does seem like you could probably take the chip and put it in something of your own making.

Got my copy of Zelda yesterday....because it still hadn't arrived Amazon refunded me and i went out to buy a copy!

Went to the local Grainger Games:Sold Out

Then Tesco: Sold Out

drove to Asda: Sold Out

went to the white rose centre

Game: Sold Out

Sainsburys's: Switch coming soon....(erm...)

PcWorld.....had moved to crown point

called ToysRus: Sold out

and finally

Asda at Crown Point....Got a copy, the last one they had

Personal opinion now is Zelda is going gang busters to be sold out so many places

KOvNNR.gif

that's pretty shocking considering the price they are asking for it

Got my copy of Zelda yesterday....because it still hadn't arrived Amazon refunded me and i went out to buy a copy!

Went to the local Grainger Games:Sold Out

Then Tesco: Sold Out

drove to Asda: Sold Out

went to the white rose centre

Game: Sold Out

Sainsburys's: Switch coming soon....(erm...)

PcWorld.....had moved to crown point

called ToysRus: Sold out

and finally

Asda at Crown Point....Got a copy, the last one they had

Personal opinion now is Zelda is going gang busters to be sold out so many places

Switch Version? Did you not have it pre-ordered or were you one to be hit by delivery problems? Apologies if I've missed an earlier post - the thread's been quite quick moving for me!

Am I being dense or is it really not possible to turn off (not just sleep) the Switch when it's docked, without physically pressing the button on the thing?

So I tried adding my switch to my work internet; but I can't. My work internet uses a username and password combo (doesn't open up a web applet so can't be like that).... does anyone know a work around or do I have to use my phone?

So I tried adding my switch to my work internet; but I can't. My work internet uses a username and password combo (doesn't open up a web applet so can't be like that).... does anyone know a work around or do I have to use my phone?

I'd reckon you're looking at a phone for a wifi hotspot until the official app etc is about - what are you feeling the need for online for at the moment though?

I imagine(and iirc there was a post suggesting as much at some point) that it'll eventually be able to connect to hotspots, and would at least hope for it. Their ideas with the DS and wifi hotspots were very good for the time imo - work on that again and let users connect to wifi hotspots without much trouble and it opens up an a nice new world for the system.

Am I being dense or is it really not possible to turn off (not just sleep) the Switch when it's docked, without physically pressing the button on the thing?

Hold down power button for 5 seconds and select power down.