NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

http://www.lefigaro.fr/secteur/high-...-en-france.php

Objective completed for Nintendo in France. The d has sold 105.000 units of its new console, the Nintendo Switch, available from March 3rd. This is the best launch for Nintendo in France since the eighties. It is also the best launch of a console in France, between all the distributors, according to Nintendo. The french branch has fulfilled its objective, which was to match the sales of the Wii, who sold 95.000 units on its first weekend, in November 2007.

France showing that they still have a strong Nintendo following over there.

Objective completed for Nintendo in France. The distributor has sold 105.000 units of its new console, the Nintendo Switch, available from March 3rd. This is the best launch for Nintendo in France since the eighties. It is also the best launch of a console in France, between all the distributors, according to Nintendo. The french branch has fulfilled its objective, which was to match the sales of the Wii, who sold 95.000 units on its first weekend, in November 2007.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but Nintendo generally does great over there, right? Especially in terms of their software.

EDIT: Just beaten.

Also.

untitledxbsmt.png

and...

Nintendo of Europe says that Nintendo Switch sold more in its launch weekend than any other Nintendo hardware in history.

What's more, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the biggest-selling Nintendo launch title ever in Europe - beating the previous record holder Wii Sports (which was bundled with the hardware).

The firm points out that this was achieved during a 'traditionally quiet time for the games industry'.

Fantastic start.

France showing that they still have a strong Nintendo following over there.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but Nintendo generally does great over there, right? Especially in terms of their software.

3DS did well and rpgs do well there. Wii U not so good.

Nintendo europe say launch sales highest ever for Nintendo hardware.

Ironically maybe third parties now wish they had some software on shelves at launch?

Ironically maybe third parties now wish they had some software on shelves at launch?

I'm sure they still don't care.

I'm sure they still don't care.

Na publishers don't like to leave money on the table. If money can be made they are on it.

Na publishers don't like to leave money on the table. If money can be made they are on it.

They'll care if the numbers stay high and it keeps selling. That's the real test.

It'll be interesting to see what numbers Skylanders, Just Dance and Bomberman did. Can't see them being too high in all honesty.

What has Zelda sold in the first weekend and what's generally regarded as good number for a game? My point is that with so few games at launch, there was definitely a gap there for a port of something and it would have done decent numbers just because it was available.

It'll be interesting to see what numbers Skylanders, Just Dance and Bomberman did. Can't see them being too high in all honesty.

No not expecting much on these. Bomberman I think sold well in the states. It sold out prior to release.

Just Dance has been done a ton beforehand. Think Ubisoft need to do something else.

Bomberman is apparently doing well

Bomberman is apparently doing well

I think they only need to sell about 5 copies to cover the cost of development of this game.

I agree. The Switchs launch was an open invitation for an easy profit. You can see the developers behind FAST are raking it in by the speed of their announcement of the patch to allow friend races.

With the low sales of RE7 across the board, for example, would have been boosted by a Switch port for launch, no matter how inferior the port.

Though could be Nintendo's fault with the late dev kits.

I agree. The Switchs launch was an open invitation for an easy profit. You can see the developers behind FAST are raking it in by the speed of their announcement of the patch to allow friend races.

With the low sales of RE7 across the board, for example, would have been boosted by a Switch port for launch, no matter how inferior the port.

Though could be Nintendo's fault with the late dev kits.

The indie developers should really benefit from a good early install base.

Switch Version? Did you not have it pre-ordered or were you one to be hit by delivery problems? Apologies if I've missed an earlier post - the thread's been quite quick moving for me!

Switch version yeah, I was hit with some sort of Amazon problem, it was dispatched via Royal Mail and went out for delivery Friday and never areived

It's still a very small user base at the moment though despite a reasonable start so I don't think it's all that an attractive proposition for the developers based on this.

It's about how sales go from here - continue apace and then the publishers will see the money and follow it.

It's still a very small user base at the moment though despite a reasonable start so I don't think it's all that an attractive proposition for the developers based on this.

It's about how sales go from here - continue apace and then the publishers will see the money and follow it.

It was a funny day in work. Some of the children were looking at pictures of the Switch and were using it for their work, which was about creating advertisements.

The discussion came down to this:

"It looks nice! (the neon one, not the grey one)"

"You can detach the controllers, which is quite cool. But the controllers look a bit lame, so we'll probably just get a Pro Controller anyway."

"There are no games for it."

I thought it was really interesting. When it came down to whether or not they'd buy it, one kid said he'd definitely pick it up and the rest just alluded to that they wouldn't know what to do with it without games.

It was a funny day in work. Some of the children were looking at pictures of the Switch and were using it for their work, which was about creating advertisements.

The discussion came down to this:

"It looks nice! (the neon one, not the grey one)"

"You can detach the controllers, which is quite cool. But the controllers look a bit lame, so we'll probably just get a Pro Controller anyway."

"There are no games for it."

I thought it was really interesting. When it came down to whether or not they'd buy it, one kid said he'd definitely pick it up and the rest just alluded to that they wouldn't know what to do with it without games.

Thus they are ignorant children. :indeed:

Are you sure they weren't just repeating conversations from here???

Haha, I did think that for a moment.

Thus they are ignorant children. :indeed:

Actually, they're very perceptive and quite an intelligent cohort. They talked about the Switch (and gaming in general) quite maturely and we regularly chat about the medium in the morning before lessons start.

Currently playing one of the greatest games ever created, a 100+ hour Zelda game, with some Fast RMX, SnipperClips and Specter of Torment thrown in + 1, 2 Switch for when mates are over, Mario Kart next month, Arms after that, then Splatoon 2 and the dozen or so indie games from their showcase I'll be picking up. To say nothing of E3 reveals for Q3/Q4, Fire Emblem and and Mario Odyssey later in the year.

No games.

Currently playing one of the greatest games ever created, a 100+ hour Zelda game, with some Fast RMX, SnipperClips and Specter of Torment thrown in + 1, 2 Switch for when mates are over, Mario Kart next month, Arms after that, then Splatoon 2 and the dozen or so indie games from their showcase I'll be picking up. To say nothing of E3 reveals for Q3/Q4, Fire Emblem and and Mario Odyssey later in the year.

No games.

The bold games are the games which are available now.

Children don't give a shit what's out at Christmas (or Q3/Q4) and to suggest that shows a lack of understanding for that audience. If a child is going to buy a new games console, they want to know what they can use it for now.

Fucking LOL at expecting 10 year olds to give a shit about E3.

Actually, they're very perceptive and quite an intelligent cohort. They talked about the Switch (and gaming in general) quite maturely and we regularly chat about the medium in the morning before lessons start.

How old are they? [Edit: 10 year olds] While its brilliant raising the topic with pupils surely we must take comments such as "There are no games for it" with a pinch of salt as by definition that statement is false.

If a child is going to buy a new games console, they want to know what they can use it for now.

When I was a 10 year old, I was more than happy/thankful with my console at the time and the one or two games I did have - for the fact that Im not paying for them. Im not sure if I can agree with the above statement especially when there are games available now.

Edited by King_V

I never suggested they gave a shit about E3, but unless this is their very first console launch ever, they should realise these things take time to grow a library.

I remember when I was a kid...all I could think about was the intricacies of the gaming industry.

Good times.