NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

Rang Nintendo, mentioned the joycon desync issue and they offered to repair it immediately. They'll be sending a form via e-mail to print.

bKXTtk8.png

Still waiting until next month to treat myself but I'm guessing stock's pretty thin on the ground right now?

Yeah, I've been periodically checking and not finding it in stock anywhere. From what I've heard it sounds like they're sorting out the joycon issues and that's what's causing the holdup in new deliveries.

Bit bummed out not be playing Zelda when everyone else is but there we go

I think they just didn't expect it to take off so well. It's coming off from the Wii U, releasing in march with a limited software library, with the big hitter releasing on established hardware that most of the more dedicated fans will own already. It's outselling the Wii apparently, so the fact they had enough stock to allow that shows, to me, that they did have great confidence in the hardware. Looking at the Wii, I wonder if it was ex N64 owners who skipped the GC who boosted numbers, and again now people who skipped the U boosting Switch numbers? after all they need the switch for BotW, MK8d, maybe at a push splatoon 2 (and probably ssb4 dx)

It's good to hear they are being good with weaker joycons, I recall the initial teething problems with wiimotes and they gave out those gel sleeves and wrist straps for free.

I'm hoping mario odyssey, splatoon 2 and Mario kart 9 come out fairly soon... maybe a smash with fleshed out single player too? Looking forward to getting one probably November 2018 :)

I think they just didn't expect it to take off so well. It's coming off from the Wii U, releasing in march with a limited software library, with the big hitter releasing on established hardware that most of the more dedicated fans will own already. It's outselling the Wii apparently, so the fact they had enough stock to allow that shows, to me, that they did have great confidence in the hardware. Looking at the Wii, I wonder if it was ex N64 owners who skipped the GC who boosted numbers, and again now people who skipped the U boosting Switch numbers? after all they need the switch for BotW, MK8d, maybe at a push splatoon 2 (and probably ssb4 dx)

It's good to hear they are being good with weaker joycons, I recall the initial teething problems with wiimotes and they gave out those gel sleeves and wrist straps for free.

I'm hoping mario odyssey, splatoon 2 and Mario kart 9 come out fairly soon... maybe a smash with fleshed out single player too? Looking forward to getting one probably November 2018 :)

Check this thread on gaf http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1349770&page=100000

The stock situation is crazy. It's still very difficult to buy a switch.

It's why I never thought Zelda being non exclusive wouldn't really matter. Enough people out there don't own a wii u and had no interest in buying one for Zelda.

Nintendo estimates shipments of the Switch in its first year at 20 million units, according to Taiwan-based supply chain makers, adding that they have a conservative estimate of shipping at least 10 million units in the first year.

Nintendo released the Switch in March 2017 and the game console enjoyed over one million units of sales in the first week after the release. Nintendo president Kimishima Tatsumi also recently said that he expects Switch's overall sales to reach 110 million units.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20170324PD208.html

110 mil? I need to see that quote as I'm doubting that was said.

Edited by liger05

Check this thread on gaf http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1349770&page=100000

The stock situation is crazy. It's still very difficult to buy a switch.

It's why I never thought Zelda being non exclusive wouldn't really matter. Enough people out there don't own a wii u and had no interest in buying one for Zelda.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20170324PD208.html

110 mil? I need to see that quote as I'm doubting that was said.

the switch is selling better than the Wii, which sold over 100 million, so it probably is the current target they are aiming for. if sales drop significantly I expect the figure will be revised accordingly.

the switch is selling better than the Wii, which sold over 100 million, so it probably is the current target they are aiming for. if sales drop significantly I expect the figure will be revised accordingly.

I really hope that quote was taken out of context or bad translation.

The switch will be a success but it isn't selling over 100m unit's

I really hope that quote was taken out of context or bad translation.

The switch will be a success but it isn't selling over 100m unit's

perhaps you are right, but the best they can do is compare sales of their previous consoles to inform sales projections. They kinda need to give shareholders an idea of how their main console is going to do over the years. What number would you choose, and why?

Personally I think, given the information we know (the switch is selling better than the Wii, and the Wii sold a little over 100 million units) 110 million seems a reasonable projection, for the time being. Obviously after a full years worth of sales (and an idea of software support) a more accurate projection can be made. I think probably 120-140 million would be a better prediction on the data I outlined above - but probably Nintendo agree to an extent with you, and don't want to exaggerate too much. Better to revise the projection up than down. Equally with the switch outselling the Wii in like for like sales (especially given the period it's on sale) it would seem dishonest if they projected sales merely equal to the Wii... so I think they went for the lowest, most pessimistic projection they can realistically get away with.

perhaps you are right, but the best they can do is compare sales of their previous consoles to inform sales projections. They kinda need to give shareholders an idea of how their main console is going to do over the years. What number would you choose, and why?

Personally I think, given the information we know (the switch is selling better than the Wii, and the Wii sold a little over 100 million units) 110 million seems a reasonable projection, for the time being. Obviously after a full years worth of sales (and an idea of software support) a more accurate projection can be made. I think probably 120-140 million would be a better prediction on the data I outlined above - but probably Nintendo agree to an extent with you, and don't want to exaggerate too much. Better to revise the projection up than down. Equally with the switch outselling the Wii in like for like sales (especially given the period it's on sale) it would seem dishonest if they projected sales merely equal to the Wii... so I think they went for the lowest, most pessimistic projection they can realistically get away with.

That only really works if you compare apples with apples.

Manufacturing will be better now so they should be able to get more Switch units at retail quicker. The wii was sold out for forever the first 12-18 months.

I'm having a hard time believing they said 110m when the platform isn't even a month old.

Edited by liger05

That's a silly target/forecast and really no one in their right mind will surely do it at Nintendo, especially after repeated mis-shots with the Wii U predictions?

Personally I think Nintendo have done this launch rather well, in their own longer business interests, compared to others. Admittedly it's jarring for customers who can't get stock right now - but it's also better than having a ton of over-manufactured stock sitting somewhere and taking up time space and money.

They've been thwarted a bit with initial niggles/issues such as the Joycon and other bits but really I think given that they don't have tons of content for the system right now it's almost a kinda good way to get a measure of the system without just the software selling it. Obviously there's always interplay but so far so good with the Switch for me from an armchair position with an interest in Nintendo's future - totally agree it sucks for anyone who actually wants the thing but we did also have pretty good warning with pre-orders etc.

My Pro Controller ran out of battery yesterday. First time since launch it's needed charging which is pretty good. Realised I left my charge at my parents so took off the Joy-cons, put them in the grip and continued playing. No messing around trying to find batteries or cables.

My Pro Controller ran out of battery yesterday. First time since launch it's needed charging which is pretty good. Realised I left my charge at my parents so took off the Joy-cons, put them in the grip and continued playing. No messing around trying to find batteries or cables.

To be honest it would be easier if you could plug a wire into the grip it comes with than remove the joy-cons and slide them onto the side of the system while in the dock.

They also don't have the most efficient workflow:

latest?cb=20090609192320&path-prefix=en

My Game & Watch Gallery Advance file disagrees.

G&W Mario Bros. is a fun game. Better than the arcade one anyway.

is there a list of Switch friend codes in one place here or will I have to go looking individually for those to add? I want to start adding you guys but can't find one thread just with codes.

Uh oh...

http://nintendoeverything.com/lego-city-undercovers-packaging-mentions-needing-up-to-13gb-of-space-for-game-download-on-switch/

lego-city-13gb.jpg

lego-city-internet.jpg

Publishers are already starting to resort to scummy tactics in order to cheap out on game card sizes it seems...

I never even considered the possibility. Nintendo had best do something about this or you're gonna start seeing a lot of other publishers pouncing on the idea I reckon :nono:

Why is it scummy?

They're avoiding cartridge costs by making people who buy the boxed game download more than half of it. Bad for people who otherwise wouldn't need to fork out for an SD card due to buying physical editions.

How much do the Switch carts hold?

They pay more for bigger carts. I am guessing the cost of a 32GB is more than they want to pay.

From the article:

When you purchase a physical copy of a game, you don’t normally anticipate needing to download much data.

At the risk of sounding like Ronnie*, you do when you own a PS4/XBone.

Although I don't think it's necessarily right to blame Nintendo for it, I don't think you can blame developers for wanting to keep costs down either. I think Nintendo should have just had a standard cartridge size and a single price to avoid this sort of thing.

*Pure bants

It's total bogus. The cartridge is literally useless on its own. You might as well be buying a download code.

Might as well call it for what it is, a fake cartridge.

Edited by Dcubed

So it's like DLC? The extra data goes onto the system/SD card rather than into the cartridge? That's actually outrageous.

Uh oh...

http://nintendoeverything.com/lego-city-undercovers-packaging-mentions-needing-up-to-13gb-of-space-for-game-download-on-switch/

lego-city-13gb.jpg

lego-city-internet.jpg

Publishers are already starting to resort to scummy tactics in order to cheap out on game card sizes it seems...

I never even considered the possibility. Nintendo had best do something about this or you're gonna start seeing a lot of other publishers pouncing on the idea I reckon :nono:

Anti consumer and they don't deserve any sales because of it. Nintendo need to nip this in the bud by mandating a maximum amount of data required to be downloaded to play a physical copy of the game.

Warner Bros are just being greedy trying to to as cheap as possible.