NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

Uh oh...

http://nintendoeverything.com/lego-city-undercovers-packaging-mentions-needing-up-to-13gb-of-space-for-game-download-on-switch/

lego-city-13gb.jpg

lego-city-internet.jpg

Publishers are already starting to resort to scummy tactics in order to cheap out on game card sizes it seems...

I never even considered the possibility. Nintendo had best do something about this or you're gonna start seeing a lot of other publishers pouncing on the idea I reckon :nono:

That's OK Warner Bros...

You don't want my money, that's fine.

I don't want to spend it on a publisher which tries to short-change a large proportion of its potential user-base. : peace:

*cancels pre-order*

Here's the reason I put in the box when cancelling my order with Shop-To...

Warner Bros are trying to pull some real back-door shady deals by making its consumers download the majority of the game thanks to them cheaping out on the Switch card size and still passing the cost and inconvenience onto their potential customers.

No thanks!

Pretty much says it all. :p

Edited by S.C.G

I wish Warner Bros. would stop being the worst. I know I shouldn't have expected much after how they treated Wii U players, but man... hurts especially much cause I absolutely love all the LEGO games. :hmm:

(I'll still be buying it of course...)

(I'll still be buying it of course...)

Great way to stick it to them.

That's OK Warner Bros...

You don't want my money, that's fine.

You know what they're going to say though "no one bought the Switch version so we're not releasing games on it".

The Switch version is £5 cheaper (at least on Amazon) so we're not being totally screwed over.

You know what they're going to say though "no one bought the Switch version so we're not releasing games on it".

The Switch version is £5 cheaper (at least on Amazon) so we're not being totally screwed over.

Pretty sure that's just retailer specific and that the RRP is the same across all platforms (at least, that's the case in the US; where it goes for the full $59.99).

You're absolutely right about what WB is gonna do though. You just know it's gonna happen...

Edited by Dcubed

While this may set a worrying precedent, it also opens my mind to the thought that cartridge sizes may not be as limiting as I perhaps originally thought!

Obviously Lego City: Undercover (which I wasn't buying anyway) should have been placed on a larger cartridge but if there's a potential game in the future that would exceed what is possible, at least we may be able to get it with an additional download rather than not at all :smile:

Great way to stick it to them.

I'm know I'm weak. No need to rub it in lol. :weep:

LEGO City Undercover ended up being my GOTY of 2013, and I've been wanting to replay it, too. This situation obviously sucks, but I'm not gonna let it stop me from buying and enjoying a game I know I'll love.

Hopefully this doesn't become a common practice for third parties. :sad:

Nintendo have no choice but to put a stop to this kind of greedy, underhanded, anti-consumer behaviour. The Switch concept is built around being portable, and having to download 13gb of data and potentially move it around when space is tight goes directly against that concept. Sure, it makes little difference for people who are prepared to spend money on a chunky SD card and buy digital releases of physical games, but for people who want to go all-physical this is an outrageous move. It's essentially a download code on a cart with a built in expiration date.

If more developers go down this road, I won't be buying any of their games and I'd like to hope other gamers would follow suit. If Nintendo is going to allow this to happen, then there are going to be a lot of tears and low sales, again, where third parties are concerned.

I hope one of the big YouTubers picks this story up and sticks it to WB to try and warn off other devs from doing the same. I doubt we'll hear a peep out of Nintendo until at least then, unfortunately.

Nintendo have no choice but to put a stop to this kind of greedy, underhanded, anti-consumer behaviour. The Switch concept is built around being portable, and having to download 13gb of data and potentially move it around when space is tight goes directly against that concept. Sure, it makes little difference for people who are prepared to spend money on a chunky SD card and buy digital releases of physical games, but for people who want to go all-physical this is an outrageous move. It's essentially a download code on a cart with a built in expiration date.

If more developers go down this road, I won't be buying any of their games and I'd like to hope other gamers would follow suit. If Nintendo is going to allow this to happen, then there are going to be a lot of tears and low sales, again, where third parties are concerned.

I hope one of the big YouTubers picks this story up and sticks it to WB to try and warn off other devs from doing the same. I doubt we'll hear a peep out of Nintendo until at least then, unfortunately.

What if the publisher refuses to release the game for Switch unless Nintendo allow them to do this? What do Nintendo do in that circumstance?

Remember that Nintendo is in a position of weakness here, coming off the back of Wii U and struggling for any sort of support from western developers/publishers...

What if the publisher refuses to release the game for Switch unless Nintendo allow them to do this? What do Nintendo do in that circumstance?

Remember that Nintendo is in a position of weakness here, coming off the back of Wii U and struggling for any sort of support from western developers/publishers...

Ideally they would take the high road and tell them where to go... I agree that they are in a position of weakness after the Wii U, but if they can build up a solid library of first party and indie games and sales numbers continue to be good then they will be in a better place when it comes to dealing with this kind of stuff. Until then, yeah, they'll have to deal with it, but I won't be buying Lego City and I'll make sure WB Games know why.

If it means we get more games on Switch that wouldn't normally have come because they don't fit on the cartridges then I'm all for it. I'd rather have games than not have them!

No release for me then. Trying to shift the cost to the consumer is a joke and Nintendo have to either make larger carts cheaper for publishers or tell publishers this isn't on.

If the switch sells publishers will fall in line as they won't want to leave money on the table.

Amazon has the Lego city undercover switch version well above the PS4/Xb1 versions in pre order sales so it's not like the market isn't there for them but Warner Bros knew this and are trying to pass the cost to the consumer. It's disgusting.

If publisher was to release a 50 GB game on PS4/XB1, but on a cheaper 25GB single layer BR with a mandatory 25 GB download to play the game they would be rightfully called out on it.

Edited by liger05

The biggest problem here is that a Switch only has 32GB on board memory. You can't really compare it to a PS4 which usually comes with a 1TB HDD as standard.

The biggest problem here is that a Switch only has 32GB on board memory. You can't really compare it to a PS4 which usually comes with a 1TB HDD as standard.

The premise remains the same. It still wouldn't be ok for something similar on ps4 regardless of how big the on-board storage is. You buy a physical copy of a game not expecting to then having to download large extra data to play it.

The premise remains the same. It still wouldn't be ok for something similar on ps4 regardless of how big the on-board storage is. You buy a physical copy of a game not expecting to then having to download large extra data to play it.

No I think we're agreeing in a way, it's a much bigger problem for the Switch due to limited capacity on the system.

The only way I can see it's justified is games with a heavy online component where what's printed on the disc becomes significantly outdated by patches and new content (e.g. MMORPGs).

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...over-on-switch

UPDATE 2.30pm: Lego City Undercover publisher Warner Bros. has provided us with this short statement on the game's cartridge version, which suggests you will be able to play without downloading anything.

"Players who purchase Lego City Undercover on Nintendo Switch at retail do not need to download the game to play," a company spokesperson told us.

We're still no clearer why the game's box states it requires an internet connection, or 13GB of storage, but the suggestion here perhaps is that at least some of the game is playable without downloading.

We've contacted Warner Bros. again for further clarification.

17553791_1261376523939764_9187114097691728913_n.jpg?oh=840faa7b9c3548b164a754a32469809d&oe=599ACDC6

What is that? At first glance I just thought it was a N64 but then noticed the control ports are USB.

Sure, it might be technically "playable" without the download... until you get an hour into it and then it prompts you to download the rest of the game :heh:

What is that? At first glance I just thought it was a N64 but then noticed the control ports are USB.

A gutted N64, with its case modded and the Switch dock placed inside for SN'Gs.

Given how barebones the Switch dock actually is it would be nice to see Nintendo release some novelty docks based on their old consoles

Ironic that a 2 decade old console makes a better dock than the current one. At least this one won't scratch the screen.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/03/...witch-download

The information is listed incorrectly on the packaging of LEGO City Undercover for Nintendo Switch. Players who purchase a physical copy of LEGO City Undercover on Nintendo Switch at retail are getting the complete game, and do not need to download additional content to enjoy the full experience. An internet connection is not required to play the game. The only internet connection suggested is to download the typical content update patch."

Now the question is why the game size is smaller than Wii u?

Did the wii u version output in 1080p? People say the switch version docked is 720p.

Edit - The Wii U version was around 19 GB, so actually bigger than on Xbox One.

Wii u version must of had real bad optimisation.

Edited by liger05

Well, thank god for that. I guess even WB can't be that crazy. (What an insanely terrible packaging misprint though... How does that even happen???)

Just posted my left joycon to Nintendo today. Will let y'all know how long it takes to get back and whether the desync issue goes away once it's back in my hands.