NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

The NPD figures are in for March and the Switch has got off to a great start, second biggest console launch ever (presumably behind the PS4).

This could really give the Scorpio a serious run for its money come Christmas time, if MK and Splatoon keep the momentum going world wide, could be out of sight of it!

It will give Scorpio a run for it's money regardless, at least in terms of WW sales. Microsoft has next to zero presence in the Japanese market, whereas are Nintendo are doing well ( Switch is selling around 40k units a week ) and they haven't even launched Splatoon 2 yet.

It will give Scorpio a run for it's money regardless, at least in terms of WW sales. Microsoft has next to zero presence in the Japanese market, whereas are Nintendo are doing well ( Switch is selling around 40k units a week ) and they haven't even launched Splatoon 2 yet.

I think i read somewhere that after the equivalent time frame on shelves its 140k up on PS4 in Japan, like you say they haven't even released Splatoon or MK8 yet!

Feels like Nintendo have unwittingly got it right this time, despite so many issues and dropped balls along the way Switch has caught fire.

I think i read somewhere that after the equivalent time frame on shelves its 140k up on PS4 in Japan, like you say they haven't even released Splatoon or MK8 yet!

Feels like Nintendo have unwittingly got it right this time, despite so many issues and dropped balls along the way Switch has caught fire.

It's definitely the perfect storm for the Japanese market. The home console market over there has been in decline for a long time. Even the PS4 hasn't been able to do really impressive numbers in Japan. Handheld gaming has always been bigger over there and now you have one that can deliver big, home console experiences on the go. The Western market is the complete opposite but the Switch also accommodates to that setup as well. It could also be a good gateway for getting the western market into handheld gaming more.

This is exactly why the few of us on here who said it would be a hybrid device said what we did. It just made sense.

As you'd expect, it's the Nintendo fanbase that have picked up the Switch so far, not too many sales (if any) outside of those that didn't own Nintendo hardware.

It will be the next few months and thats telling of its longevity.

[tweet]855359941233725440[/tweet]

Not sure of this guys' source.

As a concept - a hybrid, I love it. It's great playing on the TV and then taking it with me on my commute to/from work!

As for the features of the console, it leaves a lot to be desired, it's far too lacking on standard console features.

...This is exactly why the few of us on here who said it would be a hybrid device said what we did. It just made sense.

It was the best move for Nintendo too really. I still chuckle at how some people were so adamant that it wouldn't be a hybrid!

Edited by Kav
Automerged Doublepost

As for the features of the console, it leaves a lot to be desired, it's far too lacking on standard console features.

E3 is the next big test. It will be interesting to see just what is on the cards for the rest of the year and just how their online setup is going to actually work. Depending on when it launches, it would surprise me if the online details aren't revealed until after E3 in a Direct of their own.

I'm still not sure how they will go about it. I'm trying to think what would be best for them from a business standpoint. Launch the paid service before Splatoon 2 arrives so that people will have to pay to play it online or keep it free for a while so that people get addicted/use to playing it and then start charging once people need their fix?

I really like the console but it definitely needs the games to back that up. As I've said before, they need a great E3 showing this year to keep things going.

I am a PC gamer. I have to say, the Switch+PC combo is the way to go. It might not be the go-to console, but it's the go-to 2nd console. And seeing that most gamers already own a PC, Xbone or a PS4, i think the Switch sales will keep going in a steady pace. Just my thoughts.

I'll be getting one, and will be mostly a Switch + PS4 person (plus the odd game on PC). I'm waiting until there are enough Switch exclusives available that i want, that I can't get on PS4.

I'll be getting one, and will be mostly a Switch + PS4 person (plus the odd game on PC). I'm waiting until there are enough Switch exclusives available that i want, that I can't get on PS4.

I'm still not sure when I will get one. I have days where I feel I fancy picking one up ( luckily I can't due to the stock issues ) and other days where i'm happy to wait. If Nintendo have a cracking E3 show I can see me getting one that week, along with Arms. I'll certainly get one for Mario, though.

I'm still not sure when I will get one. I have days where I feel I fancy picking one up ( luckily I can't due to the stock issues ) and other days where i'm happy to wait. If Nintendo have a cracking E3 show I can see me getting one that week, along with Arms. I'll certainly get one for Mario, though.

For me I can't see it being before Christmas (if they've even got enough stock by then). E3 should be exciting though - I hope they've got plenty to show off!

I see Amazon still have stock issues. Was in smyths yesterday and they had none for sale yet they didn't have a switch on display to use which I thought was strange.

Surely any system is best when it's pushed to its full capabilites? Those capabilities will be below the competition but for a handheld games will look amazing.

Oh yeah, 100% in agreement but I'm just saying I'm pretty happy with ports of games I never got the chance to play having not owned a Wii/Wii U. I'm looking forward to the first game built from the ground up to take advantage of the Switch...which will most likely be Mario.

You should have taken it out the dock, and showed it running as a handheld

I showed him whilst in the handheld mode. You can't please all the people all the time as they say....

As you'd expect, it's the Nintendo fanbase that have picked up the Switch so far, not too many sales (if any) outside of those that didn't own Nintendo hardware.

[tweet]855359941233725440[/tweet]

Not sure of this guys' source.

As a concept - a hybrid, I love it. It's great playing on the TV and then taking it with me on my commute to/from work!

It was the best move for Nintendo too really. I still chuckle at how some people were so adamant that it wouldn't be a hybrid!

Its certainly more anecdotal than evidence based, but it feels like a lot of Nintendo enthusiasts have been put off a bit by the Wii U.

I had a great experience with my U however if the Switch hadn't been a hybrid i wouldn't have picked it up;from what read you wouldn't have if you hadn't traded all those bits in and then avid gamers like @Hero\-of\-Time haven't either...

Yet somehow it does seem to have taken off, which is why i said before it's almost unwittingly happened! The concept is exactly what I want yet I do agree with you, the console is lacking in many areas (functionality wise) and we still don't know much about the online set up, which should have turned people off, yet somehow, some way it's sold tremendously well.

Probably a good PR team to cover over negative stories, I still remember an IGN story about the "terrifying" feature of the Wii U turning itself off after an hour of inactivity (which my Xbox does as well) and stories like that sinking it, whereas something like the joy con syncing issue could have been a massive problem yet for the most part people have looked past it.

I don't know, it's great for the industry and Nintendo as well that it's taken off like it has, but it's still a bit baffling!

I had a great experience with my U however if the Switch hadn't been a hybrid i wouldn't have picked it up;from what read you wouldn't have if you hadn't traded all those bits in and then avid gamers like @Hero\-of\-Time haven't either...

I would have bought one on day one if the software was there. I already own a Wii U so Zelda and Mario Kart is already covered. Also, i'm not in a position where I have to fight for the TV, so the handheld aspect isn't a selling point to me. Plus, im not a fan of how bare bones the thing is in terms of features at the moment, especially the online stuff. Sitting on the sidelines is working out very nicely.

To add to this, the PS4 has had an amazing lineup of games this year that are all tailored very much to my tastes. Even if I had bought a Switch it would have been sitting there not doing much as I finished Zelda the weekend it came out.

Just noticed on my profile page I seem to be set to Offline but when I view my settings it shows I should be viewable as online. Checking my friends list about 6 of them now show as offline instead of saying how long ago they last came on. Is anyone else getting this?

Just noticed on my profile page I seem to be set to Offline but when I view my settings it shows I should be viewable as online. Checking my friends list about 6 of them now show as offline instead of saying how long ago they last came on. Is anyone else getting this?

All the time, it's either a setting or it's related to how often people just leave their Switch consoles on but go away for more than a few minutes which I believe puts it into sleep mode, so the internet conntection is then not in use which means people show up as offline... I think. :p

That's the only explanation I can come up with, some have chosen to show as offline and not show what titles they are playing - you can still change that setting just as you could with Wii U & 3DS - sometimes I've showed up as offline when coming back to the console, then online again when I've checked later. ::shrug:

I don't think it's a big thing, hopefully something while will be patched to more accurately reflect online status plus obviously I hope we get a proper Activity Log - which doesn't require a parental control app which you need a different device for - :rolleyes: and the ability to organise icons - not necessarilly folders - along with being able to backup data, transfer to another Switch, all that kind of stuff.

I'm sure it will all happen in time, until then I'm just going to be very careful with my Switch console. ;)

The NPD figures are in for March and the Switch has got off to a great start, second biggest console launch ever (presumably behind the PS4).

This could really give the Scorpio a serious run for its money come Christmas time, if MK and Splatoon keep the momentum going world wide, could be out of sight of it!

Scorpio like the PS4 pro isn't really made for mass consumers. They have niche audiences.

It only shows you as Online when your in a game for some reason. Not sure about the other stuff.

Emily Rogers on Switch's first year software

From retail to digital, everything about the first year of Switch feels carefully planned, well though-out, and smartly calculated to avoid any major software droughts. Every single week, I’ve found something worth purchasing on the system. This week, there was Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap on the eShop. Next week is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Puyo Puyo Tetris. Two weeks after Mario Kart is Minecraft, and the week after Minecraft is the release of Ultra Street Fighter II.

Traditionally, summer has been a slower time for video games, but that’s not the case for Switch. Major titles such as ARMS, Splatoon 2, and Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle are scheduled for release between June through late September. And according to Nintendo, Switch’s momentum will continue to build into the holidays with Fire Emblem Warriors, Super Mario Odyssey, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Nintendo’s release strategy for their software has been absolutely brilliant. I can’t stress enough how impressed I am with all of it. Releasing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe one month after Breath of the Wild was a genius move. Releasing Minecraft two weeks after Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is another genius move. I like how Nintendo is releasing ARMS one day after E3 ends. Why? Because during that week, everyone will still be in Nintendo-hype mode. I like how Splatoon 2 is releasing in July because kids will be off from school. Releasing Mario + Rabbids before Super Mario Odyssey will make the wait for Odyssey feel much less painful.

Last year, I said that the first year of Switch (March 2017 through March 2018) would blow away Wii U’s last five years of software. I don’t believe that I was making some outlandish hyperbolic statement. Many of the Wii U’s most critically acclaimed games — Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8, Lego City Undercover, Shovel Knight, Rayman Legends, Minecraft, Fast Neo Racing, Terraria, 1001 Spikes, Mutant Mudds, Little Inferno — are either available on Switch now, or they’ll be available later this year.

Yes, Wii U had great quality titles like Splatoon, Hyrule Warriors, and Xenoblade Chronicles X. But this year, Switch is getting Splatoon 2, Fire Emblem Warriors, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Yes, Wii U had great indie titles like Runner 2, Steamworld Dig, and Stick it to the Man. But this year, Switch is getting Runner 3, Steamworld Dig 2, and Flipping Death.

It reminds me of that one song — “Anything you can do I can do better.”

There are plenty of surprises that we still don’t know about. Retro Studios, for example, has been working on a top-secret project for three and a half years. Is Camelot or Next Level Games working on any sports titles (Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, Mario Strikers) for the Switch? Are there any other third party collaborations with Nintendo that we don’t know about? Can we expect any Switch announcements regarding Smash Bros or Pokémon at E3?

And what’s the deal with that rumored Pikmin 4 that Shigeru Miyamoto keeps discussing in multiple interviews? Hopefully we’ll find out in soon.

Hard to disagree with most of that.

https://arcadegirl64.wordpress.com/2017/04/22/quick-thoughts-on-switchs-year-one/

Yes, Wii U had great quality titles like Splatoon, Hyrule Warriors, and Xenoblade Chronicles X. But this year, Switch is getting Splatoon 2, Fire Emblem Warriors, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Yes, Wii U had great indie titles like Runner 2, Steamworld Dig, and Stick it to the Man. But this year, Switch is getting Runner 3, Steamworld Dig 2, and Flipping Death.

It reminds me of that one song — “Anything you can do I can do better.”

Really, because to me that seems more like "hey here's some sequels".

There is undoubtedly a better range of titles and support in the first year (particularly on the indie side) of the Switch compared to the Wii U, it just seems like these were bad examples to use to highlight any point other than "we have sequels".

Its certainly more anecdotal than evidence based, but it feels like a lot of Nintendo enthusiasts have been put off a bit by the Wii U.

Yet somehow it does seem to have taken off, which is why i said before it's almost unwittingly happened! The concept is exactly what I want yet I do agree with you, the console is lacking in many areas (functionality wise) and we still don't know much about the online set up, which should have turned people off, yet somehow, some way it's sold tremendously well.

Probably a good PR team to cover over negative stories, I still remember an IGN story about the "terrifying" feature of the Wii U turning itself off after an hour of inactivity (which my Xbox does as well) and stories like that sinking it, whereas something like the joy con syncing issue could have been a massive problem yet for the most part people have looked past it.

I don't know, it's great for the industry and Nintendo as well that it's taken off like it has, but it's still a bit baffling!

I think the age of the 3DS has a lot to do with it. People were ready for a new handheld. The 3DS was at the end and suddenly there a new device which is way more powerful than the 3DS as well as being a lot more easy on the eye.

The Wii U bombed but even if you ignore that audience tens of millions purchased a 3DS so it makes sense that a new handheld device would be of interest to those. If anything Nintendo went above and beyond in the sense they have never released a device so powerful for the form factor it is.

While smartphones have eaten into the handheld market the 3DS still sold 60 mil which is a huge number of potential customers.

Edited by liger05

Really, because to me that seems more like "hey here's some sequels".

There is undoubtedly a better range of titles and support in the first year (particularly on the indie side) of the Switch compared to the Wii U, it just seems like these were bad examples to use to highlight any point other than "we have sequels".

She clarifies...

[TWEET]855855371549802496[/TWEET]

Unless her point is "Nintendo is mirroring the first year of the Wii U" that doesn't really clarify anything. Maybe that is her point though, but to me its an odd one to make.

Unless her point is "Nintendo is mirroring the first year of the Wii U" that doesn't really clarify anything. Maybe that is her point though, but to me its an odd one to make.

I thought her point was pretty clear. The release schedule of titles to play is good enough not to have any droughts. The fact that some of the games are sequels has nothing to do with the point she's making.

It's not mirroring the first year of the Wii U. It actually has games coming out