NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

Just doesn't do anything. Console flashes like it's not paired and I have to get up and press a button on the console. Sometimes it works but usually not any time after the console is re-docked. Maybe specifically after it's docked because the battery died.

I've never been able to either. I use the power button.

I'm not too sure what the problem will be guys, sorry. I just hold the Home button on the PC and it kickstarts the console.

Hmm, I was under the impression any button press would do, without holding it. Using the power button is faster in my case.

Hmm, I was under the impression any button press would do, without holding it. Using the power button is faster in my case.

It might well do, I've just done that from the beginning as it felt like the natural thing to do, haha.

Do you guys - who never have trouble turning it on with the PC - ever turn it completely off, or only put it to sleep? How about letting the console battery die?

Edited by Shorty

I got to have a quick go on the Switch last night. I really liked the feel of playing with the separate Joycons.

Yeah when it came out and I went to my mates I mostly(for the little I did) played Zelda in the holder thingy for them - but I felt much free-er trying it without that limit. They do fit quite nice and snugly in the hand there - I think it reminded me a bit of that more relaxed/casual feel you'd get with wiimote and nunchuck as your hands could fall/rest wherever you wanted almost!

Me as a Wii U owner: "I wish the GamePad could be used further away"

Me as a Switch owner: "I'm not going to take it anywhere in case it breaks"

What you gonna do eh?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nintend...le-1489728545/

In the fiscal year starting April 2017, assemblers under contract with Nintendo are now planning to manufacture 16 million or more Switches, up from an initial plan for eight million, said people briefed on the plans. Even after accounting for inventory, that suggests Nintendo believes it can sell significantly more than 10 million units during the 12-month period, they said, beating expectations of many analysts.

Nintendo must be thrilled with the start to do this. In recent years it's always been a revision to a smaller number.

Hopefully will outsell the wii u in 1 year.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nintend...le-1489728545/

Nintendo must be thrilled with the start to do this. In recent years it's always been a revision to a smaller number.

Hopefully will outsell the wii u in 1 year.

Be hilarious if that happens.

I wonder what the sales are going to be compared to? Given that the it's both handheld and console, is it to be compared to the 3DS sales or Wii U ones? Both? Either way, it's been a cracking start for Nintendo and here's hoping they can keep the momentum going.

I wonder what the sales are going to be compared to? Given that the it's both handheld and console, is it to be compared to the 3DS sales or Wii U ones? Both? Either way, it's been a cracking start for Nintendo and here's hoping they can keep the momentum going.

I think it should be compared with the 3DS really, the fact that the actual console itself is the portable part.

Surely since it's replacing both, it would need to outsell both?

Surely since it's replacing both, it would need to outsell both?

That's what I thought. They have shrunk their business into one device so realistically, it should outsell both. Minus whatever it costs to develop, market and sell consoles/games for two systems versus one.

Yeah bit embarrassing to look back at how badly the Wii U did, but not sure I'd class it as hilarious - I'd see it is as a sign of success, of learning from your mistakes and doing it all better.

Edited by Shorty

Yeah bit embarrassing to look back at how badly the Wii U did, but not sure I'd class it as hilarious - I'd see it is as a sign of success, of learning from your mistakes and doing it all better.

Indeed but I'd certainly get a chuckle out of it. It would really highlight just what a misstep the Wii U was.

Interesting video that shows why the left Joycon is failing on people. The guy actually fixes it and makes it perform a hell of a lot better, even out performing the right Joycon.

I wonder if a similar fix could have helped the Wii U gamepad out? so it looks like a hardware issue rather than a software fix?

I still think Switch is a true hybrid, but designed to replace the Wii U. Nintendo may have stopped supporting the 3DS, but there are still big games to come (Etrian Odyssey V, Dragon Quest XI), yet no more games at all for Wii U. It doesn't feel massively different to me than the later years of the DS; I strongly suspect Nintendo will replace the 3DS with a dedicated handheld.

I still think Switch is a true hybrid, but designed to replace the Wii U. Nintendo may have stopped supporting the 3DS, but there are still big games to come (Etrian Odyssey V, Dragon Quest XI), yet no more games at all for Wii U. It doesn't feel massively different to me than the later years of the DS; I strongly suspect Nintendo will replace the 3DS with a dedicated handheld.

A Switch without the ability to dock, no hdmi, gpu and cpu maximum levels set to undocked specs, a smaller screen, lower price = entry level.

New 3DS is going for about £80/£90 cheaper than the switch,

3ds XL about £150 cheaper.

a regular 3ds/2ds £200 cheaper.

Once regular 3ds models are sold through, and only new 3ds' are out in the wild, I expect Nintendo will drop the price of the New 3DS, and pop a mid range handheld switch out on the market to fill their mid range console spot.

A Switch without the ability to dock, no hdmi, gpu and cpu maximum levels set to undocked specs, a smaller screen, lower price = entry level.

Other than the smaller screen there'd be no price reduction at manufacturing level and even that would most likely be offset by needing to have a second production line. The performance, and most of the features, are from the stock NVIDIA Tegra X1 that they're using.

Other than the smaller screen there'd be no price reduction at manufacturing level and even that would most likely be offset by needing to have a second production line. The performance, and most of the features, are from the stock NVIDIA Tegra X1 that they're using.

well looking at the 3ds vs 3ds xl, I'm not convinced savings would be entirely cut out by an extra production line. A smaller screen would allow a weaker battery. I imagine there are other design changes they could make to reduce costs as well. if the switch was going to be running at handheld performance levels it would never have a need for active cooling (or is that used in handheld mode sometimes in more power hungry games??) Doesn't HDMI involve some sort of small licensing fee? in which case again, small saving.

I guess we'll see in good time, I don't expect to see anything in terms of new console/variants from Nintendo until 2019 anyway. I suppose now is the time for everyone to enjoy the switch :)

Do you guys - who never have trouble turning it on with the PC - ever turn it completely off, or only put it to sleep? How about letting the console battery die?

I leave my on standby all of the time. My battery did get down to about 4% during an important bit in zelda and plugges it in to charge whilst playing. Must have really heated the console up because the fan went apeshit.

Weird to hear a far on a handheld!

I usually leave mine in sleep mode all the time but I think I'm gonna have to start properly turning it off so it doesn't mess with my HDMI switcher.

Carry case and screen protector has arrived! I can finally take it with me on my commute... yes!

The sleep mode is great. The 3DS one was terrible but this has minimal drain in sleep mode.

Kav what screen protector did you get?

The sleep mode is great. The 3DS one was terrible but this has minimal drain in sleep mode.

Kav what screen protector did you get?

Got an Orzly protector and case... these ones:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Screen-Protector-Nintendo-Switch-Tempered/dp/B01N9RG3XS

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01NAUKS62/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1489845580&sr=8-2π=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=orzly+nintendo+switch&dpPl=1&dpID=41EcaNTDJgL&ref=plSrch