Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The official help me get a degree thread

MoogleViper

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't find the old thread so I'll start a new one.

Prove that when m and n are integers, n is always a multiple of 6. n=m³-m

You know what's more fun than maths? Girls! Girls and their vaginas!

But in the spirit of learning, I'm going to answer your question with a question:

"Prove that when your degree is higher maths, that finding integers, indices, rationals and irrationals is going to get you a hot wife"

n = m^3 - m

n = m (m^2 -1)

By difference of two squares: n = m(m+1)(m-1)

Thus either m+1, m or m-1 must be a multiple of 3, since they are three consecutive integers. And one of the three will always be an even number, ie. a multiple of 2.

Thus; n = a.2b.3c where a,b,c are arbitrary integers. Therefore n = 6d, where d is again an arbitrary integer. Hence n is always a multiple of 6.

Done, and dusted, so well.

n = m^3 - m

n = m (m^2 -1)

By difference of two squares: n = m(m+1)(m-1)

Thus either m+1, m or m-1 must be a multiple of 3, since they are three consecutive integers. And one of the three will always be an even number, ie. a multiple of 2.

Thus; n = a.2b.3c where a,b,c are arbitrary integers. Therefore n = 6d, where d is again an arbitrary integer. Hence n is always a multiple of 6.

Done, and dusted, so well.

Nice.

I immediately thought of proof by induction but your method is so much more concise.

Proof by induction:

Works for 2? 2^3-2 = 6. Yes.

Works for 3? 3^3-3 = 24. Yes.

Inductive leap. Assume works for k, an arbitrary integer: k^3-k. Yes.

Then for k+1:

(k+1)^3 -(k+1) = ... = (k^3-k) +3k(k+1)

We know k^3-k is divisible by 6.

k(k+1) must be an even number times by an odd number which is even so 3k(k+1) must be divisible by 6 also.

Anyone feel like discussing whether there is a distinct conservative ideology?

I don't.

Blahpolitcscrappppp :(

Check out English philosophers and politicians in the aftermath of the French Revolution. Espcially this guy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_Burke

Then later as the floodgates for an increased electorate opened. Disraeli will be very useful for this bit. He appealed to Conservatism being the natural party of the people compared to narrow elitist liberal interests. Something Michael Howard did rallying against mass immigration in defence of a threat to the white working class.

Maybe bring in aspects of Majors back to basics vision of a past Green England which is being mirrored by Sarkozy in France atm.

You could have fun with this essay talking about splits of conservatism Ron Paul and John McCain for example. I mean Fox news probably hate Ron Paul a Republican Candidate more than some of the Democrat ones! Basically Conservatives who believe in the good influence of American interventionist power and hard patriotism vs isolationist look after ourselves first type of Conservative.

Also maybe talk about how when a national institution reaches a certain point of history and penetrates the national character maybe a generation or so. The Tories who may have once opposed it now say they are the natural party to look after it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8210977.stm

Sorry a real incoherent ramble there. Hope its a tiny bit of use.

Edited by Haden

Thanks, I was trying to write in a way where i was presenting arguments for there being a distinct ideology, then arguments against it, but I found that didn't really work.

i'm trying to restart it by showing how the Tory party started out and the influence of Burke and Disraeli and going on from there, linking it back to them and 'One nation' conservatism where applicable but also providing contrast when it comes to Maggie Thatcher's more neoliberal approach and debates in the party today on which way they're going.

Meh, I think I know more about it than I think I do, it's just quite hard getting it down into a coherent essay! It kinda sucks when all the books that I've got out are prettty useless or too confusing and wikipedia is the best source (which we can't reference at all!)

Wolfram Alpha, although powerful enough, is nowhere near the level needed to provide a mathematical proof like the ones above. It lacks intuition, which is often needed.

Plus, the steps towards the answer are usually more important than the answer.

Nice.

I immediately thought of proof by induction but your method is so much more concise.

Proof by induction:

Works for 2? 2^3-2 = 6. Yes.

Works for 3? 3^3-3 = 24. Yes.

Inductive leap. Assume works for k, an arbitrary integer: k^3-k. Yes.

Then for k+1:

(k+1)^3 -(k+1) = ... = (k^3-k) +3k(k+1)

We know k^3-k is divisible by 6.

k(k+1) must be an even number times by an odd number which is even so 3k(k+1) must be divisible by 6 also.

I don't think I ever came across "^", what does it signify?

Ah man it's really cute/cool that what used to be a 'help with my homework!' thread has now become a Uni based one as all the aficionados grow up and move away :D I think its awesome that we've kind of all grown up together as a part of this community and shizzle. Anyway, as I do English Lit there isn't much help you guys can give me short of physically writing essays for me :( but at least I know you're here if I did ever need that :p

Ah man it's really cute/cool that what used to be a 'help with my homework!' thread has now become a Uni based one as all the aficionados grow up and move away :D I think its awesome that we've kind of all grown up together as a part of this community and shizzle. Anyway, as I do English Lit there isn't much help you guys can give me short of physically writing essays for me :( but at least I know you're here if I did ever need that :p

I'm still in high school for a year! >_<' :heh:

When I was at uni I would write my essays like this:

1. A little reading around the subject (this stage didn't often happen)

2. Decide on my conclusion.

3. Bullet point each thing I want to cover, making sure the first leads through nicely to the conclusion.

4. Flesh out the bullet points.

Which should leave you with a pretty much completed essay. I guess you might also read through it at the end to make sure it makes sense. I never bothered though.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!