Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (XBLA, PSN, WiiWare)

Happenstance

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coming out of a spin when you fly up a ramp needs more than a physics tweak. It seems to me that it's designed to make you hit the homing attack rather than just spin through enemies. Not only are they including this crappy move but coercing you into using it too! If you watch that video at 0:39 and don't feel a little rage inside, you're not a real Sonic fan!

warning: post contains serious amounts of melodrama

No, I agree it does look bad. I was just pointing out the physics (and some possibly mechanic) weren't final since a couple of hand-ons said it didn't feel right, I didn't mean the ledge thing specifically.

Who would've thought it'd be so hard to emulate a game this old, a game they made themselves no less. No doubt i'll probably get stuck in the 'it won't be right whatever we do' camp but that's not true. The physics still look like he's in outer space and this whole homing idea is just not needed. It's a shame really, if you can't do it right don't do it at all.

I'll also admit that it doesn't look bad at all, I'm just not sure how they justified keeping that move in alongside their goals of recreating the old game feel. Not saying I won't enjoy it, we'll have to wait a few more months to see about that :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First wave of Sonic 4: Episode 1 changes announced.

The minecart gimmick is gone, but replaced with a "torch-light" mechanic for that section. This lights up "pitch-black" areas of the level and can interact with the environment in different ways, such as blowing up walls to create new paths. There's also difficulty adjustments and Sonic's run animation has been improved.

Source: http://www.tssznews.com/2010/08/19/running-animation-adjusted-difficulty-among-first-wave-of-sonic-4-changes/#more-14202

Sounds like a good few changes. The "torch" mechanic sounds odd though, but I prefer it to the minecart gimmick.

Hopefully they've also altered the jump animation.

This... c'mon Sega! you're on a roll atm, might as well give the fans exactly what they want from a 2D Sonic game, especially as it's being strung out episodically, because if the first ep is shit, not everyone will bother coming back for the rest...

... unless they're masochists.

I jest... either way it's still looking to be one of the best Sonic games in years and it's hard to see how they can fuck it up now, then again, this is Sega. :blank:

First wave of Sonic 4: Episode 1 changes announced.

The minecart gimmick is gone, but replaced with a "torch-light" mechanic for that section. This lights up "pitch-black" areas of the level and can interact with the environment in different ways, such as blowing up walls to create new paths. There's also difficulty adjustments and Sonic's run animation has been improved.

Source: http://www.tssznews.com/2010/08/19/running-animation-adjusted-difficulty-among-first-wave-of-sonic-4-changes/#more-14202

Sounds like a good few changes. The "torch" mechanic sounds odd though, but I prefer it to the minecart gimmick.

Ever played Sonic & Knuckles? That had a torchlight level and it's awesome.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!