NEurope
Happenstance

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (XBLA, PSN, WiiWare)

On the cusp of the 10th anniversary of the ill-fated Dreamcast console, SEGA has just teased a brand new Sonic game. According to the original interview, the game is set to return to the 2D roots of the series - revamped with HD graphics.

'Project Needlemouse', as the game is currently dubbed, is set to debut in 2010 on unspecified consoles.

Sega associate brand manager, Ken Balough, also added "Many liked the daytime stages in Unleashed, but wanted to see a game that plays purely similar to the early games of the Genesis. Project Needlemouse is that critical first step that brings Sonic back to his 2D roots."

According to the teaser trailer, however, "Speed returns in an all new 2D adventure built from the ground up", so expect something akin to the 2D portions of Sonic Unleashed, if Balough's comments are indicative. A werehog has not been sighted as yet and IGN remains cautiously optimistic that it will not appear.

A teaser site has appeared, displaying first glimpses of traditional Sonic platforms from Green Zone.

http://uk.games.ign.com/articles/102/1022724p1.html

Update: That teaser site link turned out to be an unrelated project, for details on Sonic the Hedgehog 4, skip to page 7. ~Shorty

Edited by Shorty

From that teaser, it looks like it may be an XBLA, PSN, WiiWare game. Can't wait.

Im hoping its the same type of quality and effort that was put into the new Megaman game. I really do love the 2D Sonic games.

finally! I mean how long has it taken for them to finally realise this is what we all want? When they unveiled the Unleashed trailer the bits everyone cared about were the 2D-esque bits not the naff werewolf sections.

A portion of a GameSpot interview with Sega’s Ken Ballough...

GS: Why did Sega decide to bring Sonic back to 2D? Did the success of Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure play a part?

KB: Old-school Sonic fans have long asked to see Sonic return to a more 2D style of gameplay. Many liked the daytime stages in Unleashed, but wanted to see a game that plays purely similar to the early games of the Genesis. Project Needlemouse is that critical first step that brings Sonic back to his 2D roots.

GS: What can you tell us about the game?

KB: I can tell you it’s a brand new 2D adventure coming out in 2010, it’s in HD, and to definitely stay tuned.

GS: With HD makeovers of classic games being popular right now, can we expect the game to use chunky old school sprites or hi-res HD sprites?

KB: You can definitely expect HD graphics.

What?!? you mean Sega actually LISTENED? :o praise be! :bowdown:

Really happy about this! :D I just hope that they don't screw it up...

Sweet!

I'm guessing the HD comment rules out any prospect of a WiiWare version.

Personally speaking though, and I know I'm in the minority here, I prefer the Hedgehog's 3D outings to his 2D ones - but I'm still looking forward to it.

I guess the interesting thing will be how SEGA actually go about creating a entirely 2D Sonic game given they haven't made one in house for 15 years.

Let's see if they've still got it.

OMG YES!

I hope they don't make the game TOO fast though; one of the annoying aspects of Sonic Rush was levels where you were going too fast and died :/

Sonic 3 pace would be perfect. No gimmicks please, just great gameplay. Very happy :)

I guess the interesting thing will be how SEGA actually go about creating a entirely 2D Sonic game given they haven't made one in house for 15 years.

2na1tep.jpg

Well well well, it could be a re-make of the classic Mega Drive title from the teaser pictures. Only time will tell.

surely they cant screw this up. hope it plays like the mega drive games and there isnt loads of chatting to people etc.

so far looks like its gunna be a HD re-mix of sonic 1

Just been checking out some fan-made 2D Sonic games / remixes on YT some of them are actually pretty good, especially this one Sonic Megamix...

Aside from the slightly off spritework and sometimes non-responsive collision detection it all looks reaosnably solid, love the boss bit... "K-O!" :D

surely they cant screw this up. hope it plays like the mega drive games and there isnt loads of chatting to people etc.

so far looks like its gunna be a HD re-mix of sonic 1

Its a whole new game

Its a whole new game

<snip>

Say gah! *dies happy*

It doesn't look like Sonic in the blacked out logo though. Looks more like Nack to me. The fact that they said it's in HD makes my wonder if this will be available for the Wii.

Say gah! *dies happy*

It doesn't look like Sonic in the blacked out logo though. Looks more like Nack to me. The fact that they said it's in HD makes my wonder if this will be available for the Wii.

Na most likely a 360/PS3 downloadable game. Oh well it's not that big of a deal really considering most wii owners on here have either the 360 or PS3.

Na most likely a 360/PS3 downloadable game. Oh well it's not that big of a deal really considering most wii owners on here have either the 360 or PS3.

I for one own a Wii and a 360, so i have the best of both worlds really.

That only applies to the "Sonic Haters", not fans.

Then why the hell did I used to enjoy Sonic games? Oh right, because they used to be good.

Annoys me how people can still defend this washed up character still after so many years of crappy games thrown at the fans

That trailer Happenstance posted showed fuck all really but god it got excited! THANK YOU SEGA!!!

Hope it's good and gets a WiiWare release. Still, I'm holding out until I see something or even play it, I remember the second Rush game was a lot worse than the first just because Sonic team decided to put its hands on it.

So Sonic Rush HD then. Shame I wasn't really a fan of that, just the first 3 (and SnK). I preferred the balance of platforming and speed in the early ones compared to the later speed fest pressing an occasional button.