NEurope
Happenstance

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (XBLA, PSN, WiiWare)

God damn I hate the extended Sonic cast. They're all so colossally lame. I'd laugh if this was all a joke and it ends up just reading 'Sonic' at the end. Obviously the best way to go.
I hope that's the way it's going, even Shadows pretty lame IMO!

And if they truely are wanting to go back to a classic 2D Sonic, surely just the original cast is the way to go.

I hope that's the way it's going, even Shadows pretty lame IMO!

And if they truely are wanting to go back to a classic 2D Sonic, surely just the original cast is the way to go.

Sonic, Tails, Dr Robotnik and loads of birds and rabbits? Sounds good to me.

Yep, though Knuckles is also allowed into any Sonic game IMO, he's legendary and protector of the Chaos Emeralds after all!

I've been burnt so much by the SONIC franchise that I really don't know what to think about this new project. The ten year old inside of me is screaming with excitement and doing cartwheels in the garden but the adult side of me is cynically staying at arms length.

Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Robotnik is all we need. I didn't mind metal sonic as a rival neither. Less cuddly 'friends' and more tropicana, robotic, wrecked utopias please.

All we need now is the ONLY character that Sonic has ever needed by his side.

Yuji Naka

Edited by tapedeck

To be fair, the Sonic side of the two Adventures, two Rush games, Secret Rings and Unleashed are pretty good. It's all the crap they use a filler (as everyone would moan that the game is "too short" otherwise) that is destroying it.

To be fair, the Sonic side of the two Adventures, two Rush games, Secret Rings and Unleashed are pretty good. It's all the crap they use a filler (as everyone would moan that the game is "too short" otherwise) that is destroying it.

My favourite Sonic titles are the adventure ones, since you know, the game modes fit the playable characters really well and the whole intertwining stories thing really got to me.

Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Robotnik is all we need. I didn't mind metal sonic as a rival neither. Less cuddly 'friends' and more tropicana, robotic, wrecked utopias please.

All we need now is the ONLY character that Sonic has ever needed by his side.

Yuji Naka

Too true that, Yuji Naka did an excellent job of the Sonic franchise and if he hadn't have left, I'm sure it wouldn't be in the mess that it is now.

And as for Shadow, he's actually the only "extra" character in the Sonic franchise that I actually like. But then...

..brining him back from the dead after SA2 didn't work out too well.

Plus Shadow's own game completely fucked up his character. I hope they sweep the entire storyline of that game under the carpet and start from scratch. I wouldn't mind Shadow, and maybe one or two others, appearing in future Sonic games, but not too often and not necessarily as playable characters.

EDIT: Looks like my theory on Amy making the final roster was wrong then. Good. I just really hope that this "Mr Needlemouse" character is some made up bullshit (which it probably is tbh, as it's Sonic's original codename.)

EDIT 2: Looks like the Sonic community over at the Sonic Stadium have hit the nail on the head:

needlemouseleak.png

XD

Edited by CoolFunkMan

I just really hope that this "Mr Needlemouse" character is some made up bullshit (which it probably is tbh, as it's Sonic's original codename.)
That one's not even worth discussing, it's a joke.

That one's not even worth discussing, it's a joke.

I know yeah, but this is Sega we're talking about here and we all know what they're like. They could screw up even the most perfect idea for a Sonic game.

Good. I just really hope that this "Mr Needlemouse" character is some made up bullshit (which it probably is tbh, as it's Sonic's original codename.)

The name always reminds me of Mr Pricklepants.

6a00d8341c9e5b53ef012876a7578e970c-800wi

You don't exactly come across as the objective observer with that avatar and signature combo.

Also, the new Sonic will just feature Sonic. Well, you might be able to turn into Super Sonic, but I don't think there'll be any extraneous characters.

IMO It shouldn't just be Sonic. It needs Tails and Knuckles at a push. Sonic 2 & 3 are sublime examples of how a minimal cast and minor story can be perfect for a 2D title.

You could argue that Mario's universe is saturated too but at least the bread and butter Mario adventures have been focused on Mario only (and at a push 1 alter-ego in Luigi) Best way IMO. Kind of echos the Sonic 2/3 template.

If they're rejecting two names each day, then it'll have to be just Sonic then I suppose which is a shame considering I actually quite liked Shadow.

Though I do love Tails just as much :) Here's hoping he's in!

You don't exactly come across as the objective observer with that avatar and signature combo.

I'd forgotten about the sig. It's currently adblocked as the single most repugnant and unpleasant image on the forum.

and yes: objectivity. The extended Sonic cast are, without exception, the most creatively barren example of barrel scraping desperation imaginable. The epitome of crap, misguided market research led game design and basically the sum of everything wrong at Sega that scuppered their status as a contender. They are totally without merit of any kind and should be jettisoned without mercy, hesitance or regret. Preferably out of a giant cannon aimed at the heart of a distant burning star in the far reaches of the galaxy.

4276408713_b15c435ef1_o.jpg

Only 16 years too late then. Nice one boys.

4276408701_82bfe71a84.jpg

Concept art, ok now i'm actually interested.

Edited by ViPeR

And there was me hoping Froggy would be the only name left!...

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

"Froggy the F-rog, he's the fastest frog around!"

4276408713_b15c435ef1_o.jpg

Only 16 years too late then. Nice one boys.

Concept art, ok now i'm actually interested.

Now new character? That's the first time in like 15 years of sonic games, colour me impressed.

And I know/hate those guys! Good to have them back.

Classic Badnik design! So much better than the rubbish robot enemies that all look the same we've been getting lately!

awesome instant day one purchase thank you sega for finally returning to form and being the company who I fell in love with has a kid.

Also, the new Sonic will just feature Sonic. Well, you might be able to turn into Super Sonic, but I don't think there'll be any extraneous characters.

A lot of people associate the quality of the new games,to the characters

Old school fans have no problem with knuckles or tails because the old games are good but hate shadow because he had a bad game. In truth knuckles is hardly a better character than shadow in design..

I'm glad their sticking to using JUST sonic but it was never the characters fault.

and what's wrong with my sig and avator combination?

I'd forgotten about the sig. It's currently adblocked as the single most repugnant and unpleasant image on the forum.

and yes: objectivity. The extended Sonic cast are, without exception, the most creatively barren example of barrel scraping desperation imaginable. The epitome of crap, misguided market research led game design and basically the sum of everything wrong at Sega that scuppered their status as a contender. They are totally without merit of any kind and should be jettisoned without mercy, hesitance or regret. Preferably out of a giant cannon aimed at the heart of a distant burning star in the far reaches of the galaxy.

1: thank you for convincing me not to change it

2: Some are terrible characters ya but it could be the best character design ever but if it's in a horrible game fans will cry " back to roots "anyway.

Now all the game needs to make sure of is to make Sonic have NO voice whatsoever, and no vocal music, some awesome music like the old days.

Buuuuuut in the end it will still most likely still suck.