NEurope
Happenstance

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (XBLA, PSN, WiiWare)

To be fair he was actually always known as Eggman in Japan, just Robotnik over here.

Hasnt it been changed now so his name actually is Robotnik and Eggman is just a nickname

So there´s 11 characters in that pic, assuming Sonic makes the cut (I'd lol heartly otherwise), and since the other two legitimate characters in the series aren't there (Tails and Knuckles), lets hope they take more than 1 character a day or we'll be stuck with lots of shitty friends.

Even though we're already fucked with "Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse"...

Oh, and there are also rumours about Sonic Adventure releasing on XBLA. I'm guessing that the "Extended Package" will be the GameCube extras.

To be fair he was actually always known as Eggman in Japan, just Robotnik over here.

Yeah but Eggman doesn't sound as stupid when it's not actually in your native language.... As you said it was always Robotnik over here, for a reason, it should stay that way.

Even though we're already fucked with "Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse"...

I think they're just having a laugh there :heh: Needlemouse was Sonic's pre-release project name so that's obviously not a serious suggestion.

Yeah but Eggman doesn't sound as stupid when it's not actually in your native language.... As you said it was always Robotnik over here, for a reason, it should stay that way.

Oh im with you all the way, I hate the name Eggman and refuse to use it

Potential Playable Characters:

4265572825_7956d478b0.jpg

Everything will be crossed off except Sonic. "Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse"? I thought the whole Needlemouse thing referred to Sonic anyway...?

Everything will be crossed off except Sonic. "Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse"? I thought the whole Needlemouse thing referred to Sonic anyway...?

Where the fuck is Tails?

Where the fuck is Tails?

I'm not the biggest Sonic fan, but aren't Tails and Knuckles some of the few additional characters that people actually like? That's also why this doesn't make much sense, attempting to take Sonic back to his roots but possibly dragging along new nuisances such as Big the Cat as opposed to his original companions?

I think it'll be a lone adventure for Sonic. Of course, this is SEGA, so I'm probably completely wrong.

I'm guessing Tails, Knuckles and Robotnik are definitely in, and everyone else (but Sonic) will be crossed off ;) It doesn't say "this lists the only characters appearing in the next game"

Whether the game is any good or not, they're off to a good start promoting it and getting everyone talking about it.

Yeah it was, unless they've made a new character for the game.

Characters I want to be in:

Sonic

Tails

Knuckles

Robotnik/Eggman

Metal Sonic

Characters I won't mind being in:

Amy

No new characters please SEGA.

On a slightly unrelated note: Sonic Adventure is apparently going to be added to XBLA.

I think it will end up with just Sonic in the middle. Aren't they trying to get back to his roots with this new title?

Look at the Sonic in the middle perfectly centred. :)

Also they have chosen the most obscure/annoying Sonic characters to go along side him. I think it's like a feeling of relief each time one of them gets cross off!

Unless they cross off Sonic and we are left With Big The Cats Adventures. :p

I think it will end up with just Sonic in the middle. Aren't they trying to get back to his roots with this new title?

Also they have chosen the most obscure/annoying Sonic characters to go along side him. I think it's like a feeling of relief each time one of them gets cross off!

Unless they cross off Sonic and we are left With Big The Cats Adventures. :p

That is certainly what one would hope and was my immediate thought about the matter.

Honestly, I think he was placed there because the guys thought it would make a cool looking poster or something. It would look a bit rubbish if the logo was in the bottom left, for example.

I think my ideal Sonic would be:

2D

Fast :)

Tails and Knuckles as playable characters

Robotnik as...Robotnik, as Shorty says.

That's pretty much it, haha. Nothing complex, nothing too out of the ordinary. Just a challenging game and one we can enjoy. I really enjoyed Sonic Rush, but I know quite a few gamers said that it was simply too fast. At times, it was. It didn't feel like you were in full control of Sonic all the time. The controls were more "instinctive" than anything. Still, I really enjoyed eet.

I know Shadow is back. Will he be back with Gunzzz? Rumour has it he's starring in a new film with Fiddy Cent.

True. :)

I want the same thing really. Only extra characters I want are Tails and Knuckles all the rest are clutter. I don't really have that much against them just not in this please.

Has it been said what console this is on? is it a normal game or like XBLA?

Maybe they're trying to emulate the success of New Super Mario Bros. by bringing him back to basics. Why do I get the feeling they'll still manage to fuck it up.

Everything will be crossed off except Sonic.

I'm hoping they ditch all of them off the list as a way of highlighting how "back to basics" they're going. That could explain why Knuckles and Tails aren't on there.

Edited by Goafer

They should do a Mega Man 9.

This.

Sonic 4........MegaDrive style. 16 bit graphics and everything.

Sonic 4........MegaDrive style. 16 bit graphics and everything.

What would be a bajillion times better is a sprite-based 2D game that takes advantage of the technology...kind of like Four Swords Adventures (in terms of graphics).

Sonic 4... has a nice ring to it. Go back to the old style. I really liked the DS games but they were still another animal to the originals. The main thing I didn't like about them was the sheer number of holes in each level, the general level design and, as funny as it sounds, how zoomed out it felt compared to it's big-screen predecessors. The grinding for points etc is fun but not necessary, we were happy doing nothing but running, jumping and spin-dashing after all.

I'd also like to see Sonic go back to a world where the inhabitants are generally 4ft animals... not humans who are apparently not surprised at all to see huge blue hedgehogs wandering around town.

Sounds so easy to give us what we want doesn't it? I wonder what part they find so hard. For me one of the key things about Sonic 1, 2 and to a degree 3, was the music. Every subsequent Sonic game just seemed to be lacking in that area. Replaced with samey electronic drivvle. I mean c'mon why can't they make songs like this anymore.

Edited by ViPeR

For me the main things they could do to make the series better/return to its roots would be...

2D or not 2D? - for that seems to be the immortal question but this time it looks like Sega is actually doing it right, Sonic games were always better in 2D.

Physics? what physics... - the original games felt more 'solid' in their construction because everything reacted as you expected it to, from the satisying 'poom' sound that the enemies and power-up boxes made to the suitable 'bounce' that came with it, not to mention stuff like the see-saws etc, it just all felt more solid, this was lacking in most later games.

Where on Earth? - why the fuck in Sonic Adventure was Sonic suddenly on a place that looked like Earth but also had some of the characteristics of Sonic 3 - the Island that floats is basically Angel Island - why did they not set it on Mobius? Y'know... the planet where the games started on that weren't inhabited by horrible human NPC's.

Not-so Special Stages - Where have they gone? Why did they go? I don't know if they were 'special' to anyone else but they were to me and I miss them, plus they meant that it actually required at least a little bit of skill in order to get all Chaos Emeralds in order to go Super/Hyper and get the best ending/level rather than them being given to you.

There is more that I could list but I won't as it's just gonna make me angry thinking of all the shit that Sega have put a once beloved series through :( so I'll leave it there but people can feel free to add to it, I just hope Sega take some of these points - which are really basic requirements - on-board.

Where on Earth? - why the fuck in Sonic Adventure was Sonic suddenly on a place that looked like Earth but also had some of the characteristics of Sonic 3 - the Island that floats is basically Angel Island - why did they not set it on Mobius? Y'know... the planet where the games started on that weren't inhabited by horrible human NPC's.

Well thats another one of those things with the original versions compared to the Western ones. In Japan Sonic was never from Mobius and the game was always set on Earth, its only when it was ported over here that the whole backstory of Dr Kintobor and Mobius was made up.