NEurope
Happenstance

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (XBLA, PSN, WiiWare)

Wow, I guess Sega really meant it when they said Back to their Roots.. A Sonic game with just Sonic? Crazy!

And is that one of those crabs that fires the wierd ball'o'energy? Man they're annoying! Almost annoying as the stupid wasp ones.

I swear I just got an erection when I saw the oldschool crab.

FUCK YES.

Come on, Sega... Don't fuck this up.

LET THIS BE A RETURN TO YOUR FORMER GLORY!

THIS, THEN SHENMUE 3 AND THEN FINALLY THE DREAMCAST 2, LET'S MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!

didnt sonic unleased just have sonic playable? and a good few other crap sonic games?

I can't feel the excitement to be honest. Based on one concept drawing of a crap and the fact sonic is the only playable character

Unleashed had that godawful wolf shit though.

What this needs to be: Wide screen HD, XBLA + PSN pure old school retina scorching retro indulgence. if they try and do anything else the formula won't work.

So they did reject all the side characters. Fair enough, but I wouldn't have minded Shadow. However, it is good to see Sega taking Sonic back to his roots. Come on Sega, don't fuck this one up!

1up seem to think that perhaps Knuckles and Tails may make an appearance:

One of the most oft-criticized components of recent Sonic games is the deluge of uninteresting, secondary furries. The new Sonic HD game, codenamed Project Needlemouse won't have that problem, since Sega assured us today that Sonic is the only playable character in the game. The Sega blog has been slowly crossing off names from a character roster all week, resulting in today's post, in which Sonic is the only remaining one. "To the thousands of you out there asking for a game where Sonic is the only playable character - rejoice," the blog read. "As of today, your wish has been granted." The post also gives us our first look at some concept art, for a robot crab that might look familiar.

We're happy to hear Sonic is returning to his roots, but we're a little skeptical about the claim that the blue hedgehog will be the only playable character. The eliminated roster included several D-list Sonic celebrities, including Shadow, Chip, Vector, Froggy, and even the humorous entry "Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse." But strangely absent from the list were the two characters that started the trend of Sonic's colorful cast, Tails and Knuckles. Since they were never on the list, they were never eliminated. We're betting those two will show up in some capacity, at least as unlockable characters.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3177625

I can handle that to be honest, also I'd personally like to see a return to the silent types of "cutscenes" we saw in Sonic 3 if there is to be any kind of plot.

I'm hoping they ditch all of them off the list as a way of highlighting how "back to basics" they're going. That could explain why Knuckles and Tails aren't on there.

*Smugface*

south-park-smug-313.gif

Was that not obvious all along!?

yep totally :)

1up has a good point actually I never noticed tails and knuckles wern't there. yep they're gonna show up.

So they Could be serious about going backwards with this one so...

Sonic 4 sega sonic 4.

Did they actually do a sequel to Sonic Adventure 2? Maybe it's about time they did.

Did they actually do a sequel to Sonic Adventure 2? Maybe it's about time they did.

Sonic 2006 = Sonic Adventure 3 basically.

No No and No!!! Sonic 2006 doesn't deserve to be SA3, infact Sonic 2006 shouldn't even have been made. It was the worst game of the last decade imo and I'm saying that even though I'm a Sonic fan ffs!!

No No and No!!! Sonic 2006 doesn't deserve to be SA3, infact Sonic 2006 shouldn't even have been made. It was the worst game of the last decade imo and I'm saying that even though I'm a Sonic fan ffs!!

Regardless it basically is... the theme etc, the huge boss that's basically like Chaos etc regardless of wether it's shit or not it was SA3, they just didn't want to call it that because they were going for the 'reimagining' route but it didn't quite work out, so unless Sega actually bring out an actual SA3 then Sonic 2006 is it sadly...

I'm pretty sure Sonic Unleashed is SA3. The Japanese title is Sonic World Adventure.

We might get some actual info next week if all goes well (which it will)

So, the folks here at SEGA have only one word to comment on the fake concept art above:

Awesome.

In fact, we’d like to see even more of it. So here’s the challenge: we want you guys to create your own concept art based on your favorite Badniks from the original Sonic games. It can be any Badnik from Sonic 1, 2, 3, Sonic & Knuckles, or any other Sonic games of that era. Pick your favorite(s), draw them up concept art style, and send it our way! (Japanese not required!)

The Challenge: Submit over 100 (total) pieces of Concept Art of your favorite oldschool Badniks to SEGA! Show us which enemies you want to see in Project Needlemouse!

The Reward: If the challenge is met, next week we’ll reveal:

* Project Needlemouse’s Actual Name

* Concept Art from the first Zone

* A very cool extra bonus…

What to use: Alright! Now that we have your attention, on to the specifics. You can create the concept art in Photoshop, on paper, in Microsoft Paint, via crayon, or using pretty much any worthwhile medium that gets the point across. (Create it from something notably awesome – like, say, Oreos – and you will get a bonus spotlight!) The limit is one piece of concept art per person.

Submitting your concept art: Next, send it our way! You’ve got a few options here, so just pick the one that’s easiest for you.

1. Post it here in a comment! Host it on an external site like Photobucket.com, and then comment here on the Blog with a link to your art.

2. E-mail us! If you’re a little shy about showing off your work to the world, you can also send it to us via e-mail: [email protected] !

3. PM us! If you’ve got a Forum or SEGA Pass account, you can send a private message to RubyEclipse on the SEGA forums with your art. If you already have a forum account, you’re all set!

If you guys can send in a cumulative total of over 100 pieces of concept art by Monday morning at 10:00 AM, you’re in for a very special treat in the days following. This will be our final community challenge for Project Needlemouse - and it will also be one of the last times we refer to the game by its code name. If you thought the first concept art was cool, then trust us – things are about to get a whole lot more interesting. We will also be updating throughout the week and weekend to let you know how close you are!

I like the fact that they want concepts based on "badniks" from the Mega-Drive era. Gives you the impression that they're actually aware those were Sonic's best days.

This is an awesome opportunity for someone to impress Sega as a concept artist!

They probably partly want to see what the most popular oclassic badguys were... which ones people draw the most, and to see how people may invisage them now.

New Needlemouse Badnik concept art:

4309916425_bd4308916d.jpg

Another classic Badnik returning.

Good news :)

Speed is something that is not given; but rather earned through dedication. Speed is not found by simply pushing a boost button, but by building momentum. It is the reward for skill in the face of difficult challenges – this kind of speed is the most exhilarating, not only because it is fast, but because of the pure perfection such speed exemplifies. This is the truth of the original Sonic games – and this is the truth of Project Needlemouse.