N-Europe

Favourite Actor/Actresses

navarre

I'm with Sheikah on this one. I don't believe in such a thing as a list of what is "best" and "worst". Any definition of those terms is by definiton subjective. There is no divine, objective "right" or "wrong" or "good" or "bad" in this world. If there were, we'd have no experts on ethics and morals to discuss those things. We humans define what we accept as right and wrong, good and bad, beautiful and ugly. To say that something could be judged objectively is to say we need a set of guidelines to judge by. But guess who invented those guidelines. And guess who constantly discusses and disagrees on those guidelines. We do. Us subjective humans.

To return to the topic, here is a list of my favourite actors (more may be added as I think of them):

• Tony Shaloub (he's so amazing in Monk :yay:)
  • Johnny Depp
  • Nicolas Cage
  • Keanu Reeves
  • George Clooney
  • John Cleese
  • Rowan Atkinson

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which is what you believe to be the best. No one else says that there is a factual list of what is the best...therefore it's something of entirely your own creation. And therefore, your belief.

I'm gonna tell you this for the last time. It's not what I believe. I believe in very different things. You want me to tell you what I believe are the best animes/movies/albums/books of all time? Because that's gonna be a very different set of lists from those which are factually the best. You see, it's because they're my beliefs, they're subjective to my interpretation and view of' em. As opposed to the other ones, which are factually better according to a specific formula of combined elements. Or do you think it was just chance that everyone in the specified fiel is pretty much unanimous when asked what the best film ever made is? Funny enough, when you go through the lists of their all time favourites, like on Sight and Sound's polls, it's very different from all time best. It's not called opinion... it's called impartiality, the ability to overlook your big fat ego and see things for their own mertis, regardless of your beliefs.

Also, of course they do. There's no "factually best" ranked list because there's a level of quality in which things get too close to each other, but there most definitely is a list of best films ever. Several, actually.

Which is opinion! Suddenly, a lot of people (globally, as you put it) believing something is great makes it factually the best? A lot of people would argue the contrary. But maybe not as many people. But that doesn't mean a minority group is wrong! What kind of insane way of understanding things is that?

Yeah, fuck BAFTA'S, AFI, Berlin Bears, Palme D'Ors, The Oscars, Nobel Prizes, for that matter, fuck the whole specialized press, all the pulitzers and bookers. Because nothing's really anything except if you want it to be. Things have an objective value separated from any subjective values your mind may attach to it. The difference between Citizen Kane and Disaster Movie is objective, not subjective. Even between Citizen Kane and The Godfather, the difference is objective. The quality is objective. What you make of it? That's the subjective part.

It's not what the majority believes. It's what the specialized people observe. It's not a matter of "believing" or opinion. It's objective impartial evaluation. Why on earth do you think that all those things I mentioned above are monitored by a specialized jury that is well versed in whichever art it may concern? Coincidence? Fuck no, it's because most individuals, like yourself, can't see their way beyond their own self and think it's all about opinion!!!

You kow what the fun part is? You're gonna say that what I wrote in my whole post is a matter of belief. And guess what? It's completely subjective wether or not it's a matter of belief. So you're gonna stick to your belief that I'm stuck to a belief. And so on and so on and so on.

In fact, the only thing in our existance which isn't subjective is maths. Because everything else only applies to our human reality. And us poor humans can only sense 10% of matter. Oh, damn our ever so subjective existance.

Fuck it, we're going nowhere! We're both gonna keep saying the same shit over and over and over and over till one of us gives up, so what the hell, let's kiss and make up?

As opposed to the other ones, which are factually better according to a specific formula of combined elements.

What the hell? Where is this formula? So you're telling me that there is a formula that determines what are factually the top 10 (and in order) anime series of all time? Surely you can see that you're just talking nonsense now?

Yeah, fuck BAFTA'S, AFI, Berlin Bears, Palme D'Ors, The Oscars, Nobel Prizes, for that matter, fuck the whole specialized press, all the pulitzers and bookers.

These are issued by human beings...so it's not factual either. What films are great depends on the person...e.g. a person who loves horror films may think that a horror film is the best film ever. Also, lots of films in your 'top 10' would have loads of awards, so there's no way to say that one is better than the other.

Things have an objective value separated from any subjective values your mind may attach to it.

Things like art are all about how we subjectively feel towards it. So to say that you should go by some 'objective principles' is, frankly, ridiculous. It's like you're saying objective values such as 'most expensive', 'finest materials', 'greatest number of awards' can all be placed into a formula to determine which sculpture is the best ever. Just nonsense.

It's not what the majority believes. It's what the specialized people observe.

Then it's completely opinion. It's the opinion of a group of people who believe they are the most knowledgeable when it comes to judging films/anime series/art. The media mentioned all engages with people emotionally...that's how it works. Even if some things about a film are, on paper, better; e.g. greater budget, more awards, better cast - it's completely possible that a film with a small budget but a more endearing story can be seen as better to a number of people.

You kow what the fun part is? You're gonna say that what I wrote in my whole post is a matter of belief. And guess what? It's completely subjective wether or not it's a matter of belief.

No it isn't...thinking a film is the best thing ever is opinion. It will always be opinion. You can't factually prove something that is a preference.

Here is a fact:

My cat is covered in fur.

Here is an opinion:

Die Hard is awesome!

Edited by Sheikah

Actually that's a matter of opinion. I don't think that it's covered in fur due to not having fur on it's eyes, nose and paws. Whereas you do think it's covered in fur as most of it's body has fur on it.

Lol, revised. :p

My cat's body contains at least 1 strand of fur.

Which is what you believe to be the best. No one else says that there is a factual list of what is the best...therefore it's something of entirely your own creation. And therefore, your belief.

But he's even admitting. that his fav anime isn't 'the best'. *sigh* I've had this debate SO often when it comes to rap music....

same here =) i love monk!....

i now have new found respect for you :yay: :P

Yeah it's a rather brilliant series; he's my favourite tv character ever I think! Have you seen the episode where Monk looks after this 2 year old kid called Tommy who finds a severed finger? He like properly falls in love with him and i actually cried at the end of the episode when he had to give the kid up. There's only one season of the show left, I hope they end it well (ie. he finds out who/how/why they killed Trudy and Monk is able to move on or something..).

But he's even admitting. that his fav anime isn't 'the best'. *sigh* I've had this debate SO often when it comes to rap music....

And yet, he considers the best to be what another group of people have decided. The subjective decision of multiple human beings.

Truly silly.

I understand where he comes from in terms of quality vs. how much you personally like it. The 2 are different things.

As a piece of art, Charlie's Angels 2: Full Throttle is worse than Schindler's List. But I enjoy it more, for various reasons.

It's a muddy and unresolvable topic though.

I always thought Arnie was trying not to laugh during Total Recal, although that may be down to the shiteness of the film more than anything.

Please don't let EEVIL know this.

Its hard to pick out just one favorite of mine, so some of my favorites include.

• Will Smith
  • Jim Carrey
  • Jackie Chan
  • Arnold Schwarzenegger
  • Sylvester Stallone
  • Bruce Willis
  • Harrison Ford
  • Eddie Murphy

What? :confused:

"Evaluating at least 100 reviews from one particular reviewer critically analyse in their opinion what they consider makes a "good" film using a socio-pyschological theory"

My last assignment at uni. It was mental sodomy.

Was in response to ReZ's question, you got in the way :heh:

"Evaluating at least 100 reviews from one particular reviewer critically analyse in their opinion what they consider makes a "good" film using a socio-pyschological theory"

Haha, sorry. I may have a tendency to do that. :heh:

I hate complicated stuff like that. :( Makes my brain melt.

Sounds really interesting to me. Although boring afer a while.

Not so interesting when the lecturer randomly mentions it has to use something such as (post/)structuralist theory (which doesn't really fit into the assignment at all) two weeks before its due, just as your dissertation is due and the lecturer is super anal and you just want to get the frak out of there!

Yeah it's a rather brilliant series; he's my favourite tv character ever I think! Have you seen the episode where Monk looks after this 2 year old kid called Tommy who finds a severed finger? He like properly falls in love with him and i actually cried at the end of the episode when he had to give the kid up. There's only one season of the show left, I hope they end it well (ie. he finds out who/how/why they killed Trudy and Monk is able to move on or something..).

i felt so bad for monk at that episode! it was like - he finally found a proper friend! :(... did u ever see the episode where the radio dj was saying bad things about Trudy over the radio?! and Monk look so sad and so depressed I wanted to give him a hug :( ( and kill the dj!)