Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - Reflex Edition

Dyson

Games and movies are 2 completely different things, and game makers need to get that through their thick skulls, people buy games to play, not watch, that is what a movie is for :heh: Which is why I get sick of long ass intro scenes that force so much crap onto you.

But daft isn't talking about them being the same within their mediums, he's talking about the public mentality. And I agree with him, popular stuff means shit. In fact, you could argue quite successfully that the most popular of things is always going to be bad, because to appeal to that many people means you must be catering for the lowest common denominator.

Although I would say it appeals to software and not consoles, I would compare consoles to the equivalent to a DVD/Bluray player.

And yes I do get that on the whole software drives sales...

Though Kirbs, I do agree, I'm not a fan of the direction of going more "movie"

But I did love how cinematic Uncharted 2 was...exceptions exceptions.

As for Modern Warfare Wii; still peeved about no wii speak and only 10 players...but if it's pure quality fun then it wil be too hard to resist.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly what I was getting at Dazzy. I could have easily used other examples. (Twilight is a popular book, Lady Gaga sells a lot of records, people watch X-Factor...etc.)

I'm sure MW will be good. The video posted in the online thread looks excellent. I won't go into controls because everyone knows where I stand; I never think about them on any game (perfect since the experience should be seamless) unless they are awful (a la Alone in the Dark 4).

If you really are bothered about console sales then you have to see that the PS3 costs much more than the Wii and this week passed the Wii as the best selling console in Japan for this year, and FF XIII isn't even out yet.

Back to the point, MW looks fun. If the online on the Wii was better I'd probably pick it up (just like if the online on the 360 was free I'd be all over L4D2). The graphics are functional and nothing more, but that's expected.

Please fellas lets not turn this into another PS3/360/Wii debate. The topic was going along fine aswell. :(

*watches thread closely*

Just what I was thinking. Originally the debate about this game was all over whether it was going to turn out well and how it would look and play. Since the gameplay and online gameplay vids have come out there's been a huge buzz for this on Wii boards all over the net, especially on Gamefaqs where it even topped the most viewed Wii games list.

As my local TESCO is 24 hr I wonder if they'll put this on the shelf at midnight...

Hmm it looks... good for a Wii game, lacking the polish and clarity from the 360 version but everything is still clearly defined, I'd love to play it to see how the versions compare but I'm not gonna rush out and buy it again.

As my local TESCO is 24 hr I wonder if they'll put this on the shelf at midnight...

Probably/possibly... they have been known to and this is the first MW and not MW2 so I don't see why not, they might even put it up 'early' tbh.

As my Black Wii arrives, I do want a good online experience other than Brawl so I've been checking this out... But meh... Thats how I feel towards shooters. The whole genre just seems devoid of tact and skill, though correct me if I'm wrong.

Whats so good about the CoD series? (Yeah, I missed out apparently).

IMPRESSIONS:

Played it today at mates. Controls are brilliant. I spent a lot of time playing with the boxes to tweak the controls and it's very much like The Conduit in regards to control set up. Actually has slicker controls than WAW.

I played through to the sniper mission with mate and it is deffo up there with the previous versions. This probably makes it one of Wii's top games then ;) Possibly the best FPS on the system.

Generally speaking the graphics are ok, nothing special in regards to textures etc but it is surprising how similar it is to the previous versions as all the mental set pieces and chaos remains.

Infact it is a carbon copy of the original apart from (obviously) the graphics.

FMV's can be a little muddy in places but other than that it's fine - especially when you consider all of the drama on screen.

Will buy this definately, and that's saying a lot as I previously played through it on the PS3.

It's the controls that make a BIG difference here though. I was blasting with pinpoint precision in no time and the entire experience felt slicker and more realistic to boot.

Special mention must go to the 'thermal' helicopter level - looks and plays as brilliantly as ever.

Edited by tapedeck

Whats so good about the CoD series? (Yeah, I missed out apparently).

I wouldn't judge the entire genre just based on the Call of duty games.

Basically the first CoD on the PC was ground breaking for its time because of its slightly less linear and more open levels, and its online multiplayer. So, the PC gamers praised it, as they rightfully should have at that time. One of the big problems with new platforms is that there aren't that many decent games on them right away. One of the higher quality launch titles on the 360 was CoD:2, so a lot of people who bought 360s on day one would have bought it, expanding the series' popularity. CoD3 was also one of the few decent launch titles on the PS3, and even with resistance fall of man, CoD:3 would have been a fairly popular title to buy on day one for the PS3. And obviously many people would have bought it for the 360 having played CoD:2 the previous year. By this time people were starting to get tired of World War 2 games, so Infinity Ward decided to make CoD:4 take place on the modern battlefield. This was seen as revolutionary at the time, and was praised, the game did really well commercially, ect because it was something "new".

CoD used to make you think about war and proved how brutal it was. Unfortunately it has changed into a plethora of set pieces now. Mind you, the set pieces are generally brilliant but still, it has changed considerably from what it was. It used to have more Kudos amongst a certain sect of gamers as it rewarded you for thinking during play (differing from the popular Medal of Honour franchise somewhat). Yet it has changed quite a bit, even though it has remained small elements of the 'thinking man's shooter'. As Emasher said, Modern Warfare brought about a great change from the samey WW1/2 settings and...

It also tugged at the war in Iraq scenario at times which, cynically (I believe) made it sell a shit load more.

Also of note with the series is the bullshit difficulties and respawning enemies. The difficulty isn't too bad so long as you don't play on Veteran, on Veteran it's just becomes stupid and unbalanced. The main problem with the difficulty though is the fact that you can spawn camp enemies forever, or at least until you run out of bullets. Enemies will continuously respawn until you cross some invisible line that tells them to stop.

MW, and probably MW2, did have a gripping and well written narrative though.

I went to the midnight launch at my local TESCO, I was an hour late and they'd sold loads of MW2 and a couple of copies of MWii. I got both, and because I purchased MWii I got MW2 for £25.... sweeeeet!

I haven't played MW2 yet but I have played MWii for several hours and tried both the single player and the online multiplayer. I will say I have the 360 version and got to level 55 online and completed the full single player, quite a bit of it on Veteran, so I'm pretty familiar with the game.

IMPRESSIONS:

It's FANTASTIC! The controls are brilliant and fully customisable, and I mean fully. There are presets but you can tweak EVERYTHING, even down to the colour of the cursur and the degree to which it glows. For all the hype the Conduit got over its controls this really does put it to shame. The cursur is also very stable, none of the wobbling and jiggling that was in the Conduit. It feels like they've taken all the best aspects of COD:WAW controls and taken them to perfection, it really is great.

In no time at all I was running and shooting with a level of precision that I lacked when playing the 360 version. It is a smooth and very fluid feeling and once you've got the perfect set up (which might take you some time due to the staggering amount of options) you will feel totally at home.

Everything seems present and correct, so far I haven't encountered any cuts. All the hectic gameplay, big set pieces and everything that made the game such a hit have made it through in tact. I have played up to (and completed) the mission where you have to rescue the grounded tank.

The graphics are really very good... for the Wii. I'm not going to make any silly claims that it holds up to the HD versions, because it doesn't. But it is definetely a very solid looking game and one of the best on the Wii especially considering how much is going on.

The online is great, just like COD:WAW with more players on your team. It's very fast and hectic and contains all the modes from the HD versions bar the ground war mode. You have up to 10 players per match, which is two more than in WAW and two less than in the Conduit. It runs very smoothly and I soon found myself racking up the kills. It plays VERY differently to the HD version online. It's far faster and there is less camping.

Overall, I would say I would rate this game (on initial impressions) somewhere between 90-95%. I would also say that from first impressions it's probably the best FPS on the Wii. It really does deserve to be in any Wii collection, especially if you are a Wii only gamer, and even if you're not, it's still a great purchase if you like experiencing Wii controls in games you already know and love.

Awesome Zechs. And when I saw awesome I mean you git! Now I'm going to have to buy this!! How does no wii speak hurt it?!

I've got Modern Warfare 2, which I'll blitz tonight...don't know what to do about this though. Will the game seem tame compared!??! How much was it in Tesco?

Cheers Zech, sounds great!!

Would you say having HD visuals really adds to the game, or do you still get the same experience on Wii?

Well, I've put some serious hours in today, spent nearly 3 hours online this aft and am about a third into the single player. I would definetely say the visuals on the Wii version don't hurt it. If you're happy with your Wii then you'll be happy with this, it's one of the best looking games on the Wii.

I think the experience is down to what you want from it. I think the gameplay, especially the online, is far faster and more fluid on the Wii.

Awesome Zechs. And when I saw awesome I mean you git! Now I'm going to have to buy this!! How does no wii speak hurt it?!

I've got Modern Warfare 2, which I'll blitz tonight...don't know what to do about this though. Will the game seem tame compared!??! How much was it in Tesco?

I don't think this will seem tame at all. The online multi is much faster and more hectic on the Wii because of the nature of the controls. I got to level 55 online with MW on the 360 and on the Wii it feels very different.

I've also got MW2 but haven't put it in yet, I'm literally too engrossed in this :)

The lack of Wii Speak doesn't hurt it at all for me. I played online with two of my friends and we just chatted over Skype. Plus, when I play online I usually just play alone against randoms.

Well, I've put some serious hours in today, spent nearly 3 hours online this aft and am about a third into the single player. I would definetely say the visuals on the Wii version don't hurt it. If you're happy with your Wii then you'll be happy with this, it's one of the best looking games on the Wii.

I think the experience is down to what you want from it. I think the gameplay, especially the online, is far faster and more fluid on the Wii.

I don't think this will seem tame at all. The online multi is much faster and more hectic on the Wii because of the nature of the controls. I got to level 55 online with MW on the 360 and on the Wii it feels very different.

I've also got MW2 but haven't put it in yet, I'm literally too engrossed in this :)

The lack of Wii Speak doesn't hurt it at all for me. I played online with two of my friends and we just chatted over Skype. Plus, when I play online I usually just play alone against randoms.

I think when we all get online with this, it might be a good idea to use Skype or Party Chat (for all those sexy xbox owners). Especially if we have weekly meets.

Personally I love this more than the Conduit, had a mess around on Single Player and Multi and I'm finding the controls amazing. They seem to be more intuitive than the Conduit and feel more natural to me (the Red Steel veteran :P)

Buy it everyone, best FPS on Wii! See you online!

Whoa, so this is actually pretty nifty, then?

I still don't understand why getting this game into the public eye was a Covert Ops exercise. If it's actually pretty good, why hide it? Why hasn't this given any hype?

Hmm, I still haven't picked up the Conduit or any other shooter for the Wii. But, I'm not sure if I'm in the mood these days for shooters. Hmm. If I can pick up a sweet deal for this, it would be tempting to go ahead and purchase eet.

IGN have a hands on up. Critics didn't get a review copy so had to buy it the same day everyone else. Below are a few notable parts from the article.

I'm currently about half way through the main single-player mode and thus far I'm not sold on the game. While Treyarch managed to do a whole lot more with control customization this time around -- you'll find sliders, dead zone box customization, and dozens upon dozens of options -- the actual framerate and cursor tracking is on par with World at War, if not a little slower. Moving slightly with the Wii-mote doesn't always register in on-screen movement, so trying to dial in that precise pixel-by-pixel aiming is a serious chore. With the framerate also pretty inconsistent at times the cursor takes the brunt of the impact and the only real hope for precise shooting comes with the game's single player lock-on function.

[When talking about online:] The overall framerate and connection quality is pretty remarkable considering it's pushing more options and modes than any other online Wii FPS, but it, too, is hurt by the unreliable controls. Shooting someone that's zig-zagging back and forth while running towards you is actually pretty tough (since you also have a somewhat unresponsive cursor control), and players know it. Even though online is replicated on the Wii, it still boils down to control.

As another quick note, we also experienced a crash during a single-player mission, but couldn't replicate it. The crash took place during a pretty large-scale battle, so it may be related to the sheer amount of processing power it's taking to push COD4 on Wii's hardware.

Full article below:

http://au.wii.ign.com/articles/104/1044159p1.html

Direct Feed Video Stream below:

http://au.wii.ign.com/dor/objects/902591/unplanned-version-please-remove-this-game-from-the-list/videos/mw2wii_gmp_multiplayer_deathmatch_111009.html

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!