N-Europe

Cyclists On The Road

Kirkatronics

Ive been driving for more than a year now and i've noticed a huuuuge problem.

Cyclists...

They ignore street signs, make dangerous manouvers, go through lights, ride on the wrong side of the road, and ride in the centre of the road with no consiquences.

I dont think this is fair, and think they should get stricter rules for cycling on public roads.

Whats your view on them?

Edited by Kirkatronics

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love em or hate em. Simple as that really.

To be fair they do have it tough; they can't cycle on the pavement because pedestrians complain, must cycle on the road next to very fast cars. Not my cuppa tea. However, I do agree that they should follow the rules of the road, absolutely.

The vast majority in London are total morons, a danger to pedestrians and themselves with their total disregard for any road signs or laws.

Personally I think every cyclist should have to pass a test, hold a license and also insurance if they're using the roads. They should also be punished as any car driver would be for running red lights using pavements as and when they please and any other problems they create.

Every few months there will be some uproar about a cyclist being killed by a lorry or car here. In nearly every case it's happened when a cyclist has been undercutting in traffic and trying to get ahead against the laws of the road, and quite honestly they have no sympathy at all from me when that happens, it's one less idiot on the roads.

I have nothing at all against cyclists who follow the rules, the trouble is most of them don't and they're probably my most hated group of commuters because of it.

I will stop at traffic lights if it's busy. At a crossroads on my way to work it's sometimes easier to use the pedestrian crossings as they might be giving you the green man. Also I will storm through a red light if there's noone about, which usually on my way home from work at 11:30ish there isn't. I know you wouldn't do it if you were in a car. But I'm not in a car bitches.

As a cyclist I confess to pimpsmacking the rules of the road. But if we don't fap about on the road we fap about on the pavement, and everyone complains about cyclists on pavements. Which I ride on also. Depends what the route is.
All i ask is you obey the rules, stay left, and be coutious.

Love em or hate em. Simple as that really.

To be fair they do have it tough; they can't cycle on the pavement because pedestrians complain, must cycle on the road next to very fast cars. Not my cuppa tea. However, I do agree that they should follow the rules of the road, absolutely.

Thats not the point im getting at.

I dont mind them on the roads aslong as they follow all the laws.

The vast majority in London are total morons' date=' a danger to pedestrians and themselves with their total disregard for any road signs or laws.

Personally I think every cyclist should have to pass a test, hold a license and also insurance if they're using the roads. They should also be punished as any car driver would be for running red lights using pavements as and when they please and any other problems they create.

Every few months there will be some uproar about a cyclist being killed by a lorry or car here. In nearly every case it's happened when a cyclist has been undercutting in traffic and trying to get ahead against the laws of the road, and quite honestly they have no sympathy at all from me when that happens, it's one less idiot on the roads.

I have nothing at all against cyclists who follow the rules, the trouble is most of them don't and they're probably my most hated group of commuters because of it.[/quote']Exactly!

I was thinking about the insurance thing the other day, if we have to pay a premium so should they.

A basic highway code should be given, and a basic biking test for competence.

It annoys me to hell when i see them shoot past light narrowly avoiding oncoming traffic with no care. They should get fined for it.

I will stop at traffic lights if it's busy. At a crossroads on my way to work it's sometimes easier to use the pedestrian crossings as they might be giving you the green man. Also I will storm through a red light if there's noone about, which usually on my way home from work at 11:30ish there isn't. I know you wouldn't do it if you were in a car. But I'm not in a car bitches.

You should stop at trafic lights no matter what, or dismount and walk around if its a pedestrian crossing, cars and motor bikes cant go if its not busy.. The laws dont just change with congestion.

The only bad thing I've ever seen is;

A bike ridiculously far out on the road. Shunned them down with my horn forever (I go OTT if someone is being a complete and utter ratard)

and

A bike running a red light into (pretty much) oncoming traffic. Major foolishness.

The only bad thing I've ever seen is;

A bike ridiculously far out on the road. Shunned them down with my horn forever (I go OTT if someone is being a complete and utter ratard)

and

A bike running a red light into (pretty much) oncoming traffic. Major foolishness.

They cause conjestion and can cause accidents when theyre driving central.

Its not fair the drivers have to attempt more dangerous manouvers to get around them just because theyre being selfish.

The same with running red lights, if it was only their lives i wouldnt care one bit but they endanger others lifes. They can cause cars to swerve into other cars, people, or building.

You should stop at trafic lights no matter what, or dismount and walk around if its a pedestrian crossing, cars and motor bikes cant go if its not busy.. The laws dont just change with congestion.

If it's safer to dismount, then I shall. But I'm not stopping at an empty crossroads, dismounting and pressing the button. Waiting for the green man when there is physically noone else around.

If it's safer to dismount, then I shall. But I'm not stopping at an empty crossroads, dismounting and pressing the button. Waiting for the green man when there is physically noone else around.

Thats not what i said.

I meant if someone pressed the button, you should wait with traffic.

If you choose to be traffic, you should choose to follow the highway code.

I thought there were rules for cyclists? They just happen to be incredibly ignorant and ignore them. Obviously this doesn't cover every cyclist, but it happens to be a trend I see often when I'm driving.

They have cycle lanes, which understandbly they aren't everywhere, which means they have to drive along side us, its just why go through a red light? That means there's a green light somewhere else and could cause serious injury to yourself, scooters can't go through them so why should a cyclist, its plain madness for themselves and everybody else.

I don't mind overtaking a cyclist, nobody should need to do a dangerous anything, be bloody patient and wait until it is safe to overtake them. Just like you would for a horse, tractor, pedestrain etc. *shakes head*

I meant if someone pressed the button, you should wait with traffic.

Or I could join them.

When you say cyclists in the middle of the road, what point does that occur? The only time I ever do it is when I have to turn right, which is a right pain in the arse with busy traffic, practically physically impossible, no matter how many times you signal... What I do for one example like that on my way to work is go on the pavement and turn the corner there, much safer.

Or I could join them.

When you say cyclists in the middle of the road, what point does that occur? The only time I ever do it is when I have to turn right, which is a right pain in the arse with busy traffic, practically physically impossible, no matter how many times you signal... What I do for one example like that on my way to work is go on the pavement and turn the corner there, much safer.

Thats fine if you signal, then turn. Some cyclists just choose to drive a little too central. Most are fine, but theres the odd few.

Having been hit by a car while being stationary on my bike, all I can say is drivers can burn in Hell with their infernal machines.

When I have driven, people on mopeds are the worst. They dart about so much and always seem to hover around my blind spot.

Having been hit by a car while being stationary on my bike, all I can say is drivers can burn in Hell with their infernal machines.

When I have driven, people on mopeds are the worst. They dart about so much and always seem to hover around my blind spot.

In every group there are always exceptions, ALWAYS.

Ive seen some cyclists obey evrey rule i can think of, and ive seen some stupid drivers.

i cant afford a car i use public transportation

i don't mind - i read 'till i reach my destination.

sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book

the amounta money i save - that shit is off tha HOOK.

i catch the bus. we slow y'ALL up! :heh:

I think push bikes shouldn't be on roads with motor vehicles, its plain dangerous. I used to cycle lots, and I was considerate, never ran into pedestrians etc etc.

since the law making it illegal to go on paths, I quit cycling. why?

Its plain dangerous to cycle with road users. Even obeying rules, pedal bikes are smaller than motorbikes hence slower to spot, easier to hide in blind spots, and they are slower.

they are also unpredictable. there are two schools of thought for example for what a cyclist should do at a round about.

1)stick to the left, and exit when you want

2)get into lane as a normal road user would.

Either option has major down points, the main one as a cyclist being risking your life, main for car drivers trying to avoid the crazy cyclist who may be doing anything for all you know.

I don't think cyclists being on the road will be improved by a requirement to take an expensive test, what would help would be if cars were limited to 10-20 mph. A ridiculous idea, but then imo so is putting push bikes with motor vehicles. A few weeks ago a guy on a push bike got decapitated back home. when was the last time you read of a pedestrian being killed by a push bike crashing into them?

I think push bikes shouldn't be on roads with motor vehicles, its plain dangerous. I used to cycle lots, and I was considerate, never ran into pedestrians etc etc.

since the law making it illegal to go on paths, I quit cycling. why?

Its plain dangerous to cycle with road users. Even obeying rules, pedal bikes are smaller than motorbikes hence slower to spot, easier to hide in blind spots, and they are slower.

they are also unpredictable. there are two schools of thought for example for what a cyclist should do at a round about.

1)stick to the left, and exit when you want

2)get into lane as a normal road user would.

Either option has major down points, the main one as a cyclist being risking your life, main for car drivers trying to avoid the crazy cyclist who may be doing anything for all you know.

I don't think cyclists being on the road will be improved by a requirement to take an expensive test, what would help would be if cars were limited to 10-20 mph. A ridiculous idea, but then imo so is putting push bikes with motor vehicles. A few weeks ago a guy on a push bike got decapitated back home. when was the last time you read of a pedestrian being killed by a push bike crashing into them?

The correct method is to stay on the outside, but that can be dangerous and sometimes impossible.

I think the best method is to dismount and treat it s if you were a pedestrian.

Busses dont bother me, it annoys me whe people dont let them out.

They usually do above the limit, which is great, and they are always thankful when you give way to them.

It makes you feel a lot better when you get a thnkyou, even if it is in the form of the hazzard lights.

Thats fine if you signal, then turn. Some cyclists just choose to drive a little too central. Most are fine, but theres the odd few.

technically you don't drive a push bike , you cycle it.

thats why cyclists don't take a test, because they aren't motorists (as there is no motor.. if you claim they are the motor which is technically correct, then we should have pedestrians on the road too...)

I don't think cyclists should take a test, they shouldn't be on the road, unless they can get reasonably close to the speed limit on that road and maintain said limit for the entire length of the road. Which most people can't in say a 30/40mph speed limit.

technically you don't drive a push bike , you cycle it.

thats why cyclists don't take a test, because they aren't motorists (as there is no motor.. if you claim they are the motor which is technically correct, then we should have pedestrians on the road too...)

I don't think cyclists should take a test, they shouldn't be on the road, unless they can get reasonably close to the speed limit on that road and maintain said limit for the entire length of the road. Which most people can't in say a 30/40mph speed limit.

Theres no minimum speed limits though, so that would be contradicting with tractors, and other plant vehicles.

EDIT: Pedestrians are road users.

EDIT: i meant ride, not drive, and i think they should still have to take a safety test.

The correct method is to stay on the outside, but that can be dangerous and sometimes impossible.

I think the best method is to dismount and treat it s if you were a pedestrian.

When the law first came out I read literature that favoured the get into lane method, but to stay on the outside if you were inexperienced/not confident enough.

Personally, I think the best method is to avoid cycling full stop, and just walk. If I'm really in a rush I'd jog. of course, I guess that doesn't work so well if you're on your way to work. Unless you have colleagues who enjoy the smell or stagnant sweat.

I've been Training it up for the past few years, especially getting to schools for placements and for getting home. And, of course, good ol' Eurostar.

I used to be a bit funny about using trains, but it's actually a pretty good way to travel. Sometimes you do encounter delays or disturbances, but I've found that to be rare. Although, when it happens, it's stressful for passengers.

Only thing I would say is that sometimes it can be too overcrowded. Buses are guilty of that, too. On the whole, I definitely think I prefer trains to buses. They're faster, usually cheaper, usually less overcrowded and more frequant.

The downside is...with buses it's a lot easier getting to one particular street or road. I remember having to get a combination of trains and buses to one school. Never again. Hated it.

About cyclists: Some of them can be arseholes, but then the way some drivers treat them is also pretty shocking. I remember watching on in horror as this poor cyclist was traveling on the road with a car straight up his arse. Brighton was pretty good for cycle lanes, but then you get people walking in the cycle lanes who look like they've been personally insulted when a cyclist has to slow down for them.